The Falkirk FC Thread

If you're reading this forum Nicola Sturgeon, please keep fans away from grounds next season.

Even if you don't, can you maybe make an exception for FFC as it will keep suicide, heart attack and stroke rates down in the district.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

How many players at any club do you think actually give a toss about that club?  It's a job to them all.  If you're hoping for a team of badge kissers you're utterly deluded.

Shadwell hit the nail on the head the end of the day football is a career where your only as good as your last job the upshot of it is would you hire someone that only put in a half arsed effort in a game you only have to look at the lack of effort Durnan put in at the PT 4th goal 

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Falkirks edge in the old days was the youth academy. It often produced really good players. Even when it only produced average ones, it gave you them at cut-price wages because they were young academy graduates. That allowed you to spend the money saved elsewhere in the squad.

That's gone now. So what do you do now? What are Falkirk going to do better than the other nine teams in the league?

The obvious answer IMO is a robust recruitment process. Most Scottish clubs have an archaic recruitment process based on the managers contacts. There's scope for a smart club to innovate, and American owners are likely to be receptive to that considering how prevalent analytics are in American sports.

The whole purpose of scrapping the academy was to free up funds to follow the analytics- based recruitment strategy you describe.

Instead, Hartley brought in a bunch of jobbers based on the advice of one agent-scout. Very few would have mentioned the academy again had he signed a good team and got promoted.

Tbh I think the youth development model we are now putting in place with a part time squad of hungry young guys desperate to make it will be far more cost effective.

The academy in the form it was in when axed had become a bit of a busted flush.

I agreed with the majority of the support at that time that it was crazy to be spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on an academy and reserve team that at the time was not producing anything while languishing in the championship.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

19 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I was talking with a pal last night about who I'd keep and who I'd punt from this squad (it was much more towards the latter) and I genuinely forgot about Robbie Leitch existing. Just about sums it up.

Imagine the scene in Orlando city at breakfast this morning when chesty Morgan is preparing Benny hills pancakes and maple syrup . Benny  having to explain he’s blown their 300k and the trip to Scotland is unlikely to be quite as friendly given most of the players management and the two lovely Gary, s will have gone. The plan to make a fortune acting for players we sell on to the English championship a distant memory as we negotiate the tricky queens park  and contemplate bringing in part time players . Gulp. 

From that list, I would probably be reasonably happy if it was Petrie or Young. Petrie would be my preference as what he is doing at Montrose makes him worth a punt at FT with a decent budget etc. I wouldnt be specifically raging if it was Grant as theres a bit of remember where we are to be considered.

Next seasons league will see QP on an equal financial footing, Alloa will be one of the better PT sides presumably and 2 out of Cove, Airdrie and Morton. We are a sacking club in need of a total rebuild, with a village idiot above you in the DoF role.

You need to throw money at this, once again once again failure will be considered not an option by the fans despite it being a clear possibility after the last 2 disaster and the size of the job at hand.

Gone are the days when you would say we are a good job for a manager to take.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Barry Ferguson, Alan Stubbs or Gary Caldwell and im finished with the club.

Add Neil Mccann to that list. Interesting that Stuart Taylor's not in that list from Mcbookie.

Edited by FFC 1876

We really need to starve the club of money. If fans just buy season tickets again we're only enabling this farce to continue for another season. 

The board needs a clear out with the MSG booted or nothing will change.

I'd actually love to hear their justification for why they should remain in charge given the omnishambles they have presided over. 

28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Barry Ferguson, Alan Stubbs or Gary Caldwell and im finished with the club.

I hear Maurice Ross is available!

1 minute ago, Trump said:

Don’t get the Darren Young love in at all, now granted there’s nothing that’s exciting on that list, but what’s he done above others to deserve a mention? Forgive my ignorance.

He won League Two with Albion Rovers in his first year in management and appears to have done  (not an expert so anyone can correct me if I'm chatting shite) a steady if unremarkable job at East Fife. He's been a manager since 2014 so has experience despite being still young. I reckon the thinking behind him would be he's a young manager who would hopefully be hungry and have something to prove when moving to a full-time club.

This is not me saying I want him, by the way. Just trying to muse the thinking behind it.

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

Absolutely!

But it would seem our model of living within our means is better suited than yours. 

Like you we sold our old ground to a supermarket. Difference is we cleared our debt and built a brand new stadium using the proceeds of the sale. You don’t even own your own stadium now and have no youth academy which is the lifeblood of a provincial football club.

Face facts. You would love to be in our situation. We are the model for all diddy clubs to follow.

You made money through selling your soul to your ‘big team’ and letting them sell their goods to the good people of Paisley ya fucking tit.

48DBBA10-C02E-401A-8A0B-F9E6C6D48180.jpeg

Never felt as distant from FFC in all my life. Out of the group of us that used to go I am the only one still showing an interest in the club. I bet some of them couldn't even tell you the names of our players, lucky b*****ds that they are. The sad thing is I don't really feel that angry about our plight, there is more of an acceptance of the fact that we are just plain shite.

I think whoever takes on this club whether it be manager, chairman etc etc they have a massive job on their hands to build not only the trust of the supporter but a bond with them. They also need to try and find a way of getting the lapsed support back, which isn't going to be easy.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You made money through selling your soul to your ‘big team’ and letting them sell their goods to the good people of Paisley ya fucking tit.

I think you will find that we rented our whole 4 sided grass pitched stadium to them during the one close season. 

You don’t even have a 3 sided stadium to rent out!

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

48DBBA10-C02E-401A-8A0B-F9E6C6D48180.jpeg

Is that a real photo, did they honestly allow another club to sell merchandise from their stadium.