The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

You might have another go at getting McCall. Things don't sound so good at Thistle just now.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

What’s happening?

Believe it’s to do partly with fan ownership? Or lack of. 

4 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

Is it just me that feels reasonably optimistic looking at the list of managers we could get? Tommy Wright with Liam Craig, John McGlynn or Ian Murray (dependant on how Airdries season finishes) are all very gettable. Then you add Jack Ross who is much more unrealistic but is out of work.

I see no reason why our next manager can’t come from that shortlist and they are all streets ahead of our last 4 or 5 appointments.

Lets get this right, empty the shit from our playing squad and get fucking going. 

I personally can't see Tommy Wright or Murray(Airdrie don't go up) being interested. 

McGlynn's contract being up suggests he could be an option. It would be a decentish appointment but I don't think it would get the fans excited, tho I don't think there is one out there that will.

No appointment tho is fail proof but surely lessons have been learnt from our last three appointments, it wouldn't surprise me if they try to tie an experienced manager with an ex player.

The quality we have in the dressing room. Jesus wept! We are lumbered with a group of players who enjoy training but don't like playing competitive games I wish someone would just admit it. I don't think many of our talented gang knows what pride in performance is and are merely drawing a wage. I would exclude Watson, Dixon and Telfer sometimes in that gang

3 hours ago, Trump said:

What’s happening?

Jacqui Low is refusing to hand the club over to the fans as was previously agreed, and based on last year’s suspicious accounts is probably running up debts as well.

You’ll have a new manager in place before the shit hits the fan with Thistle anyway, so I don’t think McCall is a realistic option. If it was even a serious shout in the first place.

22 minutes ago, Top of Meeks Road said:

I'm fairly sure Tommy Wright commuted from Northern Ireland when he was at St Johnstone. 

I'd be astonished if he was interested in a third tier appointment in Scotland. 

Not sure about Tommy Wright.  I think Oran Kearney at St. Mirren used to commute from Northern Ireland.

23 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Didn’t want Rice in the summer, didn’t want Rice in December and still don’t want Rice now. Surely it has to be someone who had won this division before and knows exactly what it takes?

Its gonna be Rice....

You read it here 1st!

8 minutes ago, Dabber said:

Its gonna be Rice....

You read it here 1st!

I’d be very surprised at that tbh. Rice didn’t do enough to convince the board to pick him over Rennie a couple of months back - do you really think his short stint at Alloa has done enough to convince people he’s the right man now ? (I’m not saying he is or isn’t, I’m just looking it through a board lens’)

11 hours ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

The quality we have in the dressing room. Jesus wept! We are lumbered with a group of players who enjoy training but don't like playing competitive games I wish someone would just admit it. I don't think many of our talented gang knows what pride in performance is and are merely drawing a wage. I would exclude Watson, Dixon and Telfer sometimes in that gang

They could all play like superstars in training, it means absolutely hee haw if it doesn't transcend onto the pitch on a Saturday.  The vast majority of the "quality in the dressing room" as Miller puts it will all be plying their trade elsewhere next season with any luck. And not one will be missed, with the possible exception of Dowds. 

11 hours ago, Bigbri Bairn said:

I suspect our defenders look great in training as they are up against the likes of Ompreon and Wilson.

1 hour ago, Dabber said:

Its gonna be Rice....

You read it here 1st!

No it's not. If he couldn't persuade them a month odd ago he was the man for the job then I doubt either side will be willing to go back for another shot. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I think we all know who we would not want, and maybe have an idea who we really would want.

I have my own bias on the “don’t want” front, but I don’t know enough about the managerial market place to say who I do want (other than Bill Shankly).

Whoever it is, providing she/he is not a complete space cadet, they have to be given the backing of the support, and they have to be given time…….and time probably means three windows, and probably four which would translate as two full seasons. Do we have the collective patience for that? 
I really hope so, because I don’t think there’s any other way at this point in time.

The one thing is that in season 1, they have to do better than this season, and given the squad we have going into next season, that might be more difficult than it first appears (unless we can miraculously offload the vast majority).

3 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I think we all know who we would not want, and maybe have an idea who we really would want.

I have my own bias on the “don’t want” front, but I don’t know enough about the managerial market place to say who I do want (other than Bill Shankly).

Whoever it is, providing she/he is not a complete space cadet, they have to be given the backing of the support, and they have to be given time…….and time probably means three windows, and probably four which would translate as two full seasons. Do we have the collective patience for that? 
I really hope so, because I don’t think there’s any other way at this point in time.

The one thing is that in season 1, they have to do better than this season, and given the squad we have going into next season, that might be more difficult than it first appears (unless we can miraculously offload the vast majority).

Got to agree with this assessment, there is no magic wand type outcome here. The hard work must start soon and much patience is required.

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We need to see progress and that's the main thing for me. A team giving its all would be nice for a change. I also still feel we should be aiming to get in the playoffs next season which would be a good start.

34 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No it's not. If he couldn't persuade them a month odd ago he was the man for the job then I doubt either side will be willing to go back for another shot. 

Since the club have not put out an advert for the job and the importance of getting an early appointment. Suspect they have the individual they want and its HR due diligence checks etc taking place.

Could get an announcement any time.

They will leave Miller in charge to the end of the season so if its not him that's appointed its a fresh start untainted by this season. 

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Since the club have not put out an advert for the job and the importance of getting an early appointment. Suspect they have the individual they want and its HR due diligence checks etc taking place.

Could get an announcement any time.

They will leave Miller in charge to the end of the season so if its not him that's appointed its a fresh start untainted by this season. 

Depends on whether the person is currently at another club or not I suppose. We certainly don't want another McKinnon debacle so I doubt if that was the case that anything would be announced till the season is over for that club. That could be a while yet given the playoff finals are middle of may if they are involved in them. If he's out a job then could be announced any time. I'd expect miller will go back to his media work at the end of this season.

25 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Depends on whether the person is currently at another club or not I suppose. We certainly don't want another McKinnon debacle so I doubt if that was the case that anything would be announced till the season is over for that club. That could be a while yet given the playoff finals are middle of may if they are involved in them. If he's out a job then could be announced any time. I'd expect miller will go back to his media work at the end of this season.

Got to get this right whoever it is has a hell of a challenge and a lot on their plate from day one.

Contracted players who are in the plans and who will be tried to be moved on.

Out of contract players to be resigned.

New signings to compliment and get the best out of the contracted players.

Lay down the law to the board regarding signings and style of play.

Just as important will be to get the fans behind the project.

Sooner we know the better.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think Rice did do enough to convince the board he was their man last time.  Rennie was a left field option that according to reports only very narrowly pipped Rice to the job.  It seems more likely they'll go back for him now than ignore him because he missed out to Rennie.