The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

If you introduce yourself as Gill-ee-an and you pronounce it that way and I say that's a load of pish I'll call you what I want...

Doesn't really give a great impression.

Not at all. 

If we go over to the continent and say Parissss, then that's just how it should be done. Because we're British and we know best, right? 

We need to educate the locals who stay there that Pareee is just wrong. 

On a separate subject, it does my head in every time I jump on a train and hear the announcement that we're approaching CAMElin. It's fucking KAMlin, or KEMlin to the locals. 

Sorry for digressing. 😃

Just watched the highlights on Falkirk TV and felt we created more clearer cut chances that I could see on the Spartans live coverage. Felt McIver was a bit unlucky with the chance in the second half and done well to get on the end of it. Hopefully once we get the full squad back we will get a better idea of how McGlynn sees his best starting 11.

I was a bit worried after the final whistle last night but I’m prepared to wait and see how it pans out before the league campaign starts.

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Not at all. 

If we go over to the continent and say Parissss, then that's just how it should be done. Because we're British and we know best, right? 

We need to educate the locals who stay there that Pareee is just wrong. 

On a separate subject, it does my head in every time I jump on a train and hear the announcement that we're approaching CAMElin. It's fucking KAMlin, or KEMlin to the locals. 

Sorry for digressing. 😃

I've not been on the train for a while....

But my mum was born in CAMElon and grew up there so I don't doubt her pronunciation. Does the train not say Cam-eh-lon?

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

I've not been on the train for a while....

But my mum was born in CAMElon and grew up there so I don't doubt her pronunciation. Does the train not say Cam-eh-lon?

The train announcements say CAME, unless they've changed them recently. It's pronounced KAM. Grandmother stayed there all her life, mother was raised there and father was raised in a scheme nearby called Summerford. I live within walking distance. 

35 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

One thing that really does tilt me is his name isn't Ross Mac-Aye-vor

It's Ross Mac-ee-ver. Good practice to ask a player how to say their name. Although a few stray pronunciations will creep in always.

27 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Dork.

The "I" in MacIver is pronounced as a "long E", and never as an actual "I" - it would be incorrect to pronounce MacIver as Mac-Ivor. The surname name originates from the Highlands of Scotland, and is the Anglicisation of the Gaelic name "Mac Íomhair".

2 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

The "I" in MacIver is pronounced as a "long E", and never as an actual "I" - it would be incorrect to pronounce MacIver as Mac-Ivor. The surname name originates from the Highlands of Scotland, and is the Anglicisation of the Gaelic name "Mac Íomhair".

Thank God for the Scottish pronunciation 

14 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

We had enough chances to score about 6. Finishing those chances is where we need to improve massively. No idea what's going on with Morrison, instead of his usual blasting it over the bar he has now reverted to very limp attempts on goal, couple on Saturday and again last night, as if he has no power in his legs. 

Clear mistake for the goal, apart form that Spartans didn't look too troubling. 

See that particular miss along the ground into the keepers Arms at the near post, he does that shot a lot. Its sort of like a massive topper at the golf. It's not like he doesn't try to blooter it. He just catches it all wrong. 

My personal opinion is that he rushes at it and gets a really snatchy contact. It's something I think gets made worse by dry AstroTurf. I'm not generally a critic of astro either but that particular shot....

I feel like it could be coached out of him in that situation he was in there.  Side foot and try to find the back corner would result in more trouble for the keeper, more chance of a follow in etc. That said, he's a better player and seems to be a better decision maker when on the right hand side so maybe just play him there eh

11 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Barring the mistake from Long they never really troubled us. He came out and claimed about 5/6 high balls throughout the game just unlucky with the goal.

I think Mccann's a better player than Mackie but we can't really say Mackie offers nothing going forward, his ball created the second goal and in the first half he put in a fair few decent balls that nobody attacked.

Spencer with good set pieces all night, could be doing with someone other than just Lang attacking them right enough.

Agyeman's got the makings of a good player he just needs that end product, a few very tidy skills from him tonight to beat his man.

MacIver with a sitter at the near post but thankfully made up for it by finishing off the 2nd. 

Still need something different in the middle of the park.

Was actually pleased to see Long come off his line so eagerly, makes a big difference defending crosses/balls from deep and hope his confidence in doing so hasn't been dented too much with the error.

On Mackie I actually think that if we are to compare deliveries in complete isolation he is a better player than McCann and have thought that for a while. Think that's about the only aspect of Mackie's game where he would get the nod over the latter for me though.

Agree with you on all other points. Hoping Henderson coming back from injury can somewhat fill the void of the dynamic midfielder like we seen in some games last season but it's been said multiple times that his preference is to be played at CH so just need to wait and see unfortunately.

56 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

The player is pronouncing it incorrectly then. That's an English pronunciation, like the way they say 'McKleen' and 'McKee' when it's clearly McLean and McKay etc 

Nah, like Bon Iver surely?

23 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Was actually pleased to see Long come off his line so eagerly, makes a big difference defending crosses/balls from deep and hope his confidence in doing so hasn't been dented too much with the error.

On Mackie I actually think that if we are to compare deliveries in complete isolation he is a better player than McCann and have thought that for a while. Think that's about the only aspect of Mackie's game where he would get the nod over the latter for me though.

Agree with you on all other points. Hoping Henderson coming back from injury can somewhat fill the void of the dynamic midfielder like we seen in some games last season but it's been said multiple times that his preference is to be played at CH so just need to wait and see unfortunately.

I'm giving Long a bit of sympathy for the goal because it was actually a clean catch and he done well. I think his momentum made him lose the ball upon landing. He had a very good game otherwise. 

Mackie put some really good balls in the box. We just had no threat on the end of them. McCann is still our number 1 LB. 

Agyeman really disappointed me as the game went on. I feel his strength and pace masked a very poor touch. In the last 2 games I've lost count of how many times he has went to run with the ball and his touch is too heavy and he loses possession. He has moments of class but needs to show more IMO.

27 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Agreed, Alloa conceded a goal last night from a looping header after PJ Morrison hesitated on whether or not to come for it. Long made his decisions early on and took the pressure off the defence which was briliant to see.

Wouldn't mind seeing Henderson in there with Spencer and Lawal but I don't think he's our missing piece. 

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

See that particular miss along the ground into the keepers Arms at the near post, he does that shot a lot. Its sort of like a massive topper at the golf. It's not like he doesn't try to blooter it. He just catches it all wrong. 

My personal opinion is that he rushes at it and gets a really snatchy contact. It's something I think gets made worse by dry AstroTurf. I'm not generally a critic of astro either but that particular shot....

I feel like it could be coached out of him in that situation he was in there.  Side foot and try to find the back corner would result in more trouble for the keeper, more chance of a follow in etc. That said, he's a better player and seems to be a better decision maker when on the right hand side so maybe just play him there eh

If we have Berra in to coach the players to defend then can we get Davie Nichols in to teach Morrison how to shoot from distance? 

10 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

As @gav-ffc and @Andy Dufresne have said, Oliver was suspended and I think Allan will also be suspended after his red card v Airdrie in the playoffs. 

Henderson missed training at the open day and Nesbitt missed a large part of that as well for an unknown reason.

Correct. 

92D424A9-F979-46C2-9CE1-C5D541B29B99.jpeg

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Agyeman really disappointed me as the game went on. I feel his strength and pace masked a very poor touch. In the last 2 games I've lost count of how many times he has went to run with the ball and his touch is too heavy and he loses possession. He has moments of class but needs to show more IMO.

Wasn't sold on the signing at the time and still not sold on it. To me his strengths lie in running onto balls played in behind and chasing lost causes, those are the situations where we seen him give McCann the most issues. 

Given we're going to have the lion share of possession in most if not all of our games we were never going to see the best of him in those aspects which leaves us with his ability on the ball both in carrying and decision making, he may improve in both those aspects as the season progresses but at the moment we're getting both ends of the spectrum.

8 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Henderson in there with Spencer and Lawal but I don't think he's our missing piece. 

Can do much better than him if we were to bring in a new face but given the budget restrictions it's unlikely. He, I think, is the best we've got to offer in filling that role.

54 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The train announcements say CAME, unless they've changed them recently. It's pronounced KAM. Grandmother stayed there all her life, mother was raised there and father was raised in a scheme nearby called Summerford. I live within walking distance. 

Lived there when I was a wee boy, briefly. My dad was stationed there. It should be pronounced like Camelot. Kam is correct. 

So Oliver and Allan suspended last night. Allan will be available for the rest of the league cup but miss the Annan game.  Hopefully why he wasn't involved from the start against Arbroath.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

We won, which is the main thing, but wasn’t a great watch bar the first 20mins & last 15. 

Going forward, like Saturday, I thought we looked dangerous at times with Agyeman giving them a hard time & McIver winning some good knock ons & seems to hold the ball up well. Pleased he got a goal too.  

Feel we are lacking in midfield still & at the back but we were missing players, which I hope makes a difference. Lang & Long both had good games & felt for the GK as error aside, he played well I thought. 

Cracking crowd through for a Tues night 👏🏻. Big game on Saturday at Firhill & that could be the tie of the group now. 

IMG_3226.thumb.jpeg.92bff660ff4340f6ddcdc5731c892504.jpeg

I'm really pleased Ross has started well, getting the winner will help his confidence. Hope he continues to contribute and gets a few more.

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

The player is pronouncing it incorrectly then. That's an English pronunciation, like the way they say 'McKleen' and 'McKee' when it's clearly McLean and McKay etc 

I lived in Stornoway for a couple of years and the locals all pronounced it as an ee rather than an i and I don't think they could be accused of being English. (Apart from the 'white settlers' as they were known!)