The Falkirk FC Thread

29 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m sorry, I’m not buying this at all. To go out the cup in the manner we did, ie. A last minute penalty, is devastating in the same way it’ll feel brilliant for the Thistle fans the other way.

Anyone who’s ‘not bothered’ by going out like this is off their head. And I mean from the ‘fan emotion’ side of things, I’m not even considering the loss of income side of things in that statement.

It's not the last minute penalty that's put us out, it's Lang's pass across the box in the DU game that's killed us

Second half has given me a glimmer of hope for the season ahead, but I’ve a feeling at 2pm next Saturday when I see McGinns name with Spencer on the team sheet that hope will be gone.

McGlynn has never shown that he will learn from what has gone before, so I don’t know why I should expect him to look at the second half performance and see it was a better line up than what he started with.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

21 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

It's not the last minute penalty that's put us out, it's Lang's pass across the box in the DU game that's killed us

I don't know.. going 1-0 up changes the game completely for DU. They didn't need to bother scoring again. If Lang hadn't done that they'd have had a completely different approach for the rest of the game.

29 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Agree.

I just don't see the clamour for Allan at all. Hate to say it but I thought he looked lazy and went through the motions. 

Can see why McGlynn hasn't been convinced and having spent ££ on him you wonder what he was thinking - panic!

👍

24 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Second half has given me a glimmer of hope for the season ahead, but I’ve a feeling at 2pm next Saturday when I see McGinns name with Spencer on the team sheet that hope will be gone.

McGlynn has never shown that he will learn from what has gone before, so I don’t know why I should expect him to look at the second half performance and see it was a better line up than what he started with.

Think if he retains his starting line up then he deserves any flak that comes his way.
Credit for his half time changes today but that will be gone if he reverts to type next Saturday.

My 11 if fit.

Hogarth 

Yeats McKay Lang Mccann 

Spencer Henderson

Agyeman Miller Morrison

Maciver 

Thats well short of a title winning team. We need a RB for the sake of the defence and for the fact Yeats is incredibly useful in midfield and it would free him up. Gotten to the stage where if Michael Doyle is fit again after the pre season injury I’d take him in a heartbeat. 

Mcginn can be used VERY sparingly. Lawal and Oliver can be “game changers” as I feel both offer value from the bench. If Nesbitt is fit he can also be slotted for one of the middle 3 depending on form. 

Allan can never ever ever ever ever play up front on his own. It’s actually embarrassing that Mcglynn thinks we get any change out of that. It doesn’t fucking work. 

Donaldson is a consistent part of a team that hasn’t kept a clean sheet in THIRTEEN attempts. Time for a benching even though McKay gives me the fear. 

Sad to see McGinn being flogged. 

Sooner Nesbitt and Henderson are fit the better and one of them can partner Spencer - who wasn't much more impressive than McGinn today to be honest.

I'd also drop Morrison as he's lost whatever it was he had a couple of seasons ago. Looking at him now the only thing that stands out is his Stuart Hogg-esque hair. He's faded into a player that once he leaves us you wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch up at Dumbarton or Peterhead once they leave us.

Well today proved that we are hamstrung with McGinn playing. We were a different team in the second half but I wouldn’t say it was the personnel who came on at half time that made the difference, rather the ones that went off, primarily McGinn. 

I was really impressed with Miller. He was always looking to create and most good things we did in the second half involved him

Just now, Blame Me said:

Sooner Nesbitt and Henderson are fit the better and one of them can partner Spencer - who wasn't much more impressive than McGinn today to be honest.

I'd also drop Morrison as he's lost whatever it was he had a couple of seasons ago. Looking at him now the only thing that stands out is his Stuart Hogg-esque hair. He's faded into a player that once he leaves us you wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch up at Dumbarton or Peterhead once they leave us.

I thought Spencer played okay today. His ball in for the equaliser was different class. His passing is on a different level from anyone else.

1 minute ago, Disco Duck said:

We appear to be two different teams in attack and defence.  We’re going to see lots of goals this year!

... At the wrong end. Attack is as misfiring as it was last season. The better teams won't give them much loose change.

Man, that was hard work watching that today. Woeful first half;  half-paced square ball pish carbon copy of last season. Not much pace creativity or energy on show, and very lucky not to be 0-2 down.  

Mcglynn clearly not interested in learning from last season - holes all over our midfield, one pace play, and all 11 men back for opposition corners is all utter nonsense. 

Then at the start of the 2nd half we got about 10 minutes of direct, forward passing - at pace; into open space; for wide men to run on to - duh! imagine!! - we actually looked quite bright, before reverting to dull, pedestrian type.  

Overall? Based on 2/3rds of that showing today, not at all confident we can produce the sort of sequences like wwdww, wddwww that would win this god-awful league. 

Lang and Spencer looked pretty good; Henderson & Morrison need to be much more consistent this season; Agyeman looks like he'll be utterly frustrating - good and bad in the same game. Miller had a bit of urgency and flair when he came on, and ability to run at the defence, so no real surprise McGlynn has him on the bench. Otherwise, lots of last season's meh on display. 

Its going to be a long season. 

Dreadful first half performance. Good 15 minute spell at the start of the second half before we eased off again.

McGinn and Spencer cannot start together (and McGinn shouldn’t be starting at all) but you wouldn’t be at all surprised to see then both next Saturday. The defence is a bombscare. Maciver has done well to take the chances he’s had but I’m not convinced he will do as a lone starting striker for the season.

Early days but based on what I’ve seen in pre-season and the league cup games, we are miles off being a title-winning team.

First game this season and ended up being a good result, due to improving in the second half.

For me mcginn is done and shouldn't be starting, miller and Henderson coming on for him and Oliver made a Massive difference in the second half. Miller in particular just seemed to be much more focused on getting the ball forward quickly.

Yeats isn't a defender and a rb does need to come in as his defending and crossing isn't good enough.

Spencer had a good game and his vision and distribution will be important.

We still look ropey at the back and need to stop trying to play like man city all the time.

One big thing as well, it's been debated endlessly on here about whether McGlynn should stay or go but there is no goodwill in the crowd, when we conceded first in comedy fashion as usual folk were going mental and the atmosphere got sour immediately. We have to start well, or else the crowd will be on the teams back.

Ps. Lawal is pish. I know I'll get pelters for that but he is, doesn't look a footballer at all. 

Been to every LC game so far, some of the footballs been good! Some of its been shite.

Today in the first half we were absolutely dreadful, and like others have said, I think it's down to the midfield. McGinn needs to be dropped, not because he's a bad footballer but due to his legs not being able to get him about the pitch quick enough. McGlynn can't persist to play him and Spencer in midfield, it needs to be one (Spencer) and McGinn coming on with 20 minutes or so if needed.

IF we're gonna bring in two players, a right back and a centre half are going to be pivotal. That'll allow Yeats to be an option in midfield or cover for right back. 

We need competition at centre half, it's worrying as f**k that Donaldson can play as poor as he has been with no other option in for him fo be dropped. 

There's only a matter of time before Calvin miller starts, think it's going to be similar to McCann last year. He's got to start on Saturday. 

We have a starting 11 capable of beating most teams in this league. It's just a case of the manager picking them all. 

17 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Maciver has done well to take the chances he’s had but I’m not convinced he will do as a lone starting striker for the season

Had similar thought during the game. MacIver has had a good nack of getting a touch or bundling it over but I don't think he's someone to consistently score.

Can see chances regarded as "easy" he'll struggle to convert but where it's bobbling about he's likely to get a toe, knee or chest to it. 

37 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Disagree with that. Morrison played 48 games with us as an attacking midfielder, scored 15 and assisted 10. He also scooped up all of the player of the season awards last year including that from his own team mates and has been our best player the past 3 seasons.

Not sure how he would fare in higher leagues but to consider getting rid of him would be crazy. 

11 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

One big thing as well, it's been debated endlessly on here about whether McGlynn should stay or go but there is no goodwill in the crowd, when we conceded first in comedy fashion as usual folk were going mental and the atmosphere got sour immediately. We have to start well, or else the crowd will be on the teams back.

Agreed. It was pretty obvious the crowd was all set to boo the team off at half-time before we edged in front. McGlynn got lucky, nowt to do with his tactics.  Clearly most have had more than enough of this slow-motion, predictably dull shit-show. 

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Fucking Brian Graham. 

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Fucking Glasgow refs. 

2 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Seems like Partick get another get out of jail free card. Ref was conned against us last week and it’s came back and cost us.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

They are ‘the cuddly toy of Scottish football’ - a lot goes in their favour.

Ooooft.

Maybe that Celtic-esque victim mentality will spur you on to get out of the diddy leagues at the fifth time of asking.

Just now, AMMjag said:

Ooooft.

Maybe that Celtic-esque victim mentality will spur you on to get out of the diddy leagues at the fifth time of asking.

Sorry, no victim mentality from me, just cursing Brian Graham.