Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

Only if you have a bank account and card reader.
Well you would need a bank account but not a card reader. It's pretty easy, safe and quick to use an app like MobilePay to transfer money to someone. For years the homeless in Denmark have written their MobilePay number on their bit of cardboard.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:
18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Only if you have a bank account and card reader.

Well you would need a bank account but not a card reader. It's pretty easy, safe and quick to use an app like MobilePay to transfer money to someone. For years the homeless in Denmark have written their MobilePay number on their bit of cardboard.

The homeless guy would still need a smartphone and bank account presumably.

The homeless guy would still need a smartphone and bank account presumably.
There's nothing stopping homeless in the UK getting a bank account you only need a phone to make MobilePay payments, not receive.

The point being, that a great many of these problems those against a cashless society argue are easily solvable (or indeed have already been solved) and the rest are the usual government/capitalism bad arguments.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

There's nothing stopping homeless in the UK getting a bank account you only need a phone to make MobilePay payments, not receive.

The point being, that a great many of these problems those against a cashless society argue are easily solvable (or indeed have already been solved) and the rest are the usual government/capitalism bad arguments.

There will always be people who have to operate outside the system. An asylum seeker in Britain can be denied the right to work on top of being refused benefits. If somebody pays him to do some work to keep him going they'd be breaking the law. In China you can be denied the right to use public transport if you've annoyed the authorities in some legal way. Having no anonymous means of payment gives the State way too much control over people's lives on a micro level.

Having no anonymous means of payment gives the State way too much control over people's lives on a micro level.

Cashless doesn't necessarily mean no anonymous means. Necessity is the mother of invention and as we've seen technology is increasing innovation in the financial sector (e.g. cryptocurrency). Cashless isn't going to happen overnight and I'm optimistic that the vast bulk of these issues will have been solved by then.

That first sentence is miles off the mark.

It's a bit like saying - "there's nothing stopping homeless folk get a roof over their head".

There are plenty of severe complications with a cashless society, and it's the most vulnerable folk in society who would suffer.

I have absolutely no faith in technology and governments ensuring these are ironed out.

You can add holistic/tarot/witchcraft shops to the list of things that people mystifyingly decide will be a profitable business, and fold before they see their first anniversary.

You'd think they'd see it coming.

That first sentence is miles off the mark.

Is there really no facility for homeless people to get a bank account? In that case I stand corrected. It's not really like saying it's easy for them to get a roof over their head though as rooves are obviously a scarce resource while bank accounts are limitless, so I think you're being a bit harsh on me there.

11 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

If you're declared bankrupt you get your cashless payment capability taken from you and put on a basic account don't you? 

No, a basic bank account will still have a debit card. You just can't incur debt or take on credit (in theory). 

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

No, a basic bank account will still have a debit card. 

I've just had a quick look. Some do, some don't. 

Looks like it depends on how out on your arse you are whether you'll be allowed to use card payments for your own money. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I've just had a quick look. Some do, some don't. 

Looks like it depends on how out on your arse you are whether you'll be allowed to use card payments for your own money. 

Some banks will just close your current account and basically tell you to f**k off if you decide to go ahead with bankruptcy. Bank of Scotland spring to mind. RBS, Nationwide and Santander i think will allow you to open a basic account before you go ahead with it. Although i think Santander give you a pre-pay credit card type thing instead of a debit card alongside a basic account. 

Is there really no facility for homeless people to get a bank account? In that case I stand corrected. It's not really like saying it's easy for them to get a roof over their head though as rooves are obviously a scarce resource while bank accounts are limitless, so I think you're being a bit harsh on me there.
Yeah, you're right - the analogy wasn't great.

There is support and help available for a lot of people who are homeless but the problems that put them there are usually so complex and severe that they can't get themselves sorted.

And bank accounts has always been a difficulty.

Cashless societies are great for folk that cope well with the modern world, but it's an absolutely vital commodity for so many people on the other side of that line. Unfortunately in Britain those struggling to cope seem to be increasing as the years go by.

Is it just me or is there a real uptake of idiots getting involved on pyramid schemes and sharing them on Facebook during lockdown? I don't get such invites, but I regularly hear my missus muttering about "fucking pyramid scheme wankers" 

Would make sense to use Facebook given the hotbed of idiots that would fall for it I guess. 

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

Is it just me or is there a real uptake of idiots getting involved on pyramid schemes and sharing them on Facebook during lockdown? I don't get such invites, but I regularly hear my missus muttering about "fucking pyramid scheme wankers" 

Would make sense to use Facebook given the hotbed of idiots that would fall for it I guess. 

reddit.com/r/antimlm

8 hours ago, thistledo said:

Tell me Thistledo, have you ever tried to do the washing up without washing up liquid??

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows