What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The House by the Cemetery - a family move in to a house with a chequered history. Bad things occur.

Another of Lucio Fulci's better-known films. Quite slow and plodding, like many that Fulci made, with some abysmal dubbing and poor acting. Fulci's notorious obsession with eyes was taken to new extremes in this one, as there are a remarkable number of close-up zooms on characters' faces, although thankfully no splinters/spiders penetrating eyeballs (though there's a hilariously-overwrought scene involving a bat). It's not a great film by any stretch, but it's daft enough to fit into the 'so bad it's good' category. One warning - your enjoyment may suffer from Annoying Child, who is present throughout the running time  :(

Another recent Blu-Ray purchase; the print's a fair bit grainier than Zombie Flesh Eaters, but still easily the best quality I've seen, albeit a bit watery. I probably spent the same amount on a dreadful VHS copy twenty-odd years ago, which was so dark it was almost unwatchable, and had the ending made entirely incomprehensible from cuts made by the BBFC due to their rules regarding plots that showed children in peril.

The BBFC have has some bizarre obsessions over the years.

(163)

Logan Lucky 0.5/10

Oooof pitiful stuff. HONESTLY everything about it is bad, terrible nonsensical boring story, rubbish characters. Think they thought they were making a Coen brothers film but absolutely zero wit or charm. Half the people in it seemed to have given up before they'd even started, e.g. think Swank might have done one of the worst performances I've ever seen. (cinema)

(164-166)

Had a B&W British film weekend...

A Taste of Honey 7/10

Kitchen sink drama. Patchy, but ultimately convincing performances in this blueprint for British social commentary. (DVD)

Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner 9.5/10

Runner goes to borstal. Incredible story telling, compelling directing, top-5 endings of all time, stupid place to hide the money. (DVD)

The Day the Earth Caught Fire 6/10

Oddball sci-fi, disaster thriller featuring some fast talking newspaper men, a wooden editor and rudimentary, but thrilling special effects. The film can't decide what it is, but is still worth a watch. An early bit part from Michael "My Name is Michael Caine" Caine. (DVD)

Mystic River - 8.5. The final hour in particular was incredible. Superb performances by all, especially Tim Robbins. Didn't really understand why the subplot involving Bacon's wife needed to happen though. I guess to show that he too was affected by the childhood event? Doesn't really go into much detail though and didn't add anything. Last few scenes didn't need to be included either IMO, would have been better ending with Penn's line about the childhood Robbins. Great film though.

One of my favourite movies. Outstanding stuff.

Penns performance was top notch.

Great book aswell tbh.

On 8/25/2017 at 19:01, Christophe said:

(163)

Logan Lucky 0.5/10

Oooof pitiful stuff. HONESTLY everything about it is bad, terrible nonsensical boring story, rubbish characters. Think they thought they were making a Coen brothers film but absolutely zero wit or charm. Half the people in it seemed to have given up before they'd even started, e.g. think Swank might have done one of the worst performances I've ever seen. (cinema)

I hated this, too. Not helped by the fact that I have a real problem tuning into that accent. And there's NO WAY IN THE WORLD that wee lassie was a product of Channing Tatum + Kate Holmes. Looked so much better in the trailers.

3 hours ago, Christophe said:

Oddball sci-fi, disaster thriller featuring some fast talking newspaper men, a wooden editor and rudimentary, but thrilling special effects. The film can't decide what it is, but is still worth a watch. An early bit part from Michael "My Name is Michael Caine" Caine. (DVD)

That's because he wasn't an actor, he was the actual editor of the Daily Express.

BTW in the overseas version Janet Munro got her tits out. (Mild, but possibly NSFW)

Spoiler

C-TheDayTheEarthCaughtFire(JanetMunro).jpg

Edited by GordonD

Detroit 9/10 (cinema)

One of the films of the year so far.  It's really powerful, laced with tension and does a very good job at giving a white guy living 50 years ahead of events a tiny glimpse at what a serious bloody mess certain parts of the US found themselves in.  I can't do it justice, but the 2h 20 minutes did not feel remotely that long - no clock watching from me, anyway.

Atomic Blonde 6/10 (cinema)

Style over substance, it's fair to say.  McAvoy plays a twat very well, Theron was excellent, but barring two cracking fight sequences - the second one feeling brutal and rather more believable than I'm used to seeing - and the frequent appearance of nipples, there isn't much going for it.  Didn't need the whole last 5-10 minutes either; would have been more satisfying without it.

IT 6/10 (1990, DVD)

I was a little disappointed by this.  It was actually the acting of the grown up versions, rather than that of the kids that grated a little, plus the effects have dated pretty poorly as you might expect.  Still, as a fan of the book, this seemed fairly true to it (it's been a few years since I read it) and I enjoyed the refresh ahead of the remake due out shortly.

18 hours ago, GordonD said:

That's because he wasn't an actor, he was the actual editor of the Daily Express.

BTW in the overseas version Janet Munro got her tits out. (Mild, but possibly NSFW)

Reveal hidden contents

C-TheDayTheEarthCaughtFire(JanetMunro).jpg

Yes, I read up on that later. And the version we saw had tits

18 hours ago, morrison said:

Atomic Blonde 6/10 (cinema)

Style over substance, it's fair to say.  McAvoy plays a twat very well, Theron was excellent, but barring two cracking fight sequences - the second one feeling brutal and rather more believable than I'm used to seeing - and the frequent appearance of nipples, there isn't much going for it.  Didn't need the whole last 5-10 minutes either; would have been more satisfying without it.

I might have enjoyed this a bit more if I hadn't taken my 89 year old Mother to see it. Turns out she was quite impressed by the hot lesbian action and the brutal violence, less so by the sound track. I thought was going to be a tongue in cheek Bond type thing. Found the plot a bit silly.

Hot lesbian action and brutal violence? Your maw seems like fun, WB. Movie nights at her place must be a blast.

Not that your recommendations aren't valued, but please pass hers on in the future too.

Logan Lucky - 8/10 (cinema). Really enjoyed this. Thought Adam Driver in particular was excellent.

It Follows - 2/10 (Netflix).
Horrendous acting, and hated the constant desire to try and build tension. Couldn't get into it at all.