What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

A Field In England - 8/10

I'm not even going to pretend that i fully understood this film, but i thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. It's just mental. It actually starts off with a decent bit of humour, but from then the dread just builds and we're introduced to O'Neil, played by Michael Smiley. Not long afterwards comes "the tent scene", one of the creepiest scenes i have ever witnessed. Reece Sheersmith is wonderful in this but everyone plays their part.

Fruitvale Station

Based on a true story of an ex-con trying to get his life back together and fix relationships with his girlfriend, daughter and mum. Tragic ending however

Runner Runner

Decent enough film with Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck. Revolves around the cut-throat world of online gambling

Riddick

I really enjoyed this but im biased as i love the Riddick films. Similar to Pitch Black rather than Chronicles Of Riddick

Killing Season.

Not near as bad as the trailer and idea of the film make it out to be. It's your typical easy watching violent action film. John Travolta is semi-decent with the foreign accent, but it's both paint by numbers type performances really.

5/10.

Out Of The Furnace

Bit of a slow burning drama but enjoyable all the same. All star cast of Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, Forrest Whittaker, Willem Dafoe, Zoe Saldana and the magnificent Woody Harrelson

Anchorman 2 was largely excellent. Some of the gags came across as 'trying too hard' and the middle section began to feel a bit tedious, particularly the scenes involving Ron's irritating son. I would have liked to see a bit more of Brian and Champ instead. However, the ridiculousness of the last half an hour completely saved it. The film started off strongly as well. Obviously not as good as the original, but a pretty worthy sequel. I enjoyed it more than Gravity. 7/10

The son was a ridiculously poor actor, who surely only got the role for the utterly hilarious crying scene when the shark leaves, the entire cinema was in tears of laughter for a minute or two after the scene :lol:

Frozen

I spent most of this morning in an Odeon with 300 or so first and second years that we took to the cinema to reward them for their 'good behaviour' so far this year. The sound of hundreds of crisp packets and sweety wrappers scrunching is like turning static on the radio up to full volume in your car. Luckily the film was incredibly fucking loud, to the point of feeling nauseous.

The film was typical Disney fare, looked very good, some funny characters with lots and lots of inane singing about practically any shit that was going on ("I've opened a window, I've opened a door!"). Less music would have made it better but even the usual 'everything is gay' crowd of hardened S2 boys seemed to enjoy it.

6/10

Took the wean and family to this yesterday. Wanted to die within the first twenty minutes. Everything that is hateful about Disney movies wrapped up in a nasty wee parcel.

Kid loved it though. Bah, humbug!

Monsters University - Always was going to love it. I'm a huge mark for Pixar (as most folk are) apart from the two horrible Cars movies. Monsters Inc. was excellent and although this was a little bit play by the numbers in terms of storyline and didn't ever tug at the old heartstrings like Toy Story 3, Up and Wall-E, it was still a well done film and a very good prequel to an already successful franchise. I just wish they'd at least think about a sequel to The Incredibles instead of Finding Dory. 7.5/10

Bit of a relief to have a Pixar film that didn't make the tears well up, TBH. They're too good at it. MU was interesting as it won me over as the film went on, and ended on a real high. Loved the credits tune.

Agree with The Incredibles sequel, but you're not looking forward to Finding Dory? :o Bad Squishy!

Was in the mood for some bad sci-fi action last night, so watched the copy of The Core that we picked up from CEX for 50p. Thoroughly entertaining, if you lke silly movies. Wouldn't pay more than 50p though.

Incidentally, has Hilary Swank popped up on the 'Pass or Smash' thread? Would be interested to hear the opinions of the P&B massive.

Anchorman 2

I didn't like it. There was too much observational comedy and jokes about OJ, the Brady Bunch etc. It also felt a but preachy at times.The original was excellent because of the characters, not the jokes. Brick was a massively redeeming feature for me - especially his opening scene.

The fighting scene was just ridiculous. Carbon copy of the original with far too many cameo's.

Perhaps it will be better the second time around and watching the first film half an hour before you see this is probably not a great idea.

4/10 (Brick)

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

It was ok, seemed to have dragged on far too long and pointless in parts

The CGI wasn't that great either in parts, not sure if that was because I watched it on the IMAX

5/10

I just watched Grave of the Fireflies. Absolutely harrowing film and I was fighting off manly tears by the end tbh. After the film's opening and the jump into the memories I found myself increasingly hoping for a change that the film was going to cheat on what the initial couple of minutes showed happening. Ultimately it didn't and the film is a true tragedy.

I see the director didn't intend for Grave of the Fireflies to be an all out anti-war film but instead meant it to be lecture to the young Japanese people of the time who he felt didn't appreciate the hardships older generations had gone through during World War II. That never occurred to me, I thought it was a really powerful anti-war film, the last one that affected me on this level was Come and See frankly. It also highlighted the people whose suffering in WWII tends to forgetten or overlooked, especially by Hollywood.

Gonna have to go watch Muppet's Christmas Carol at some point over the next two days to get even remotely in the festive spirit now...