What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Kajaki............8/10.

True story of 3 Para patrol near the Kajaki dam in Helmand province who get caught up in a dried river bed mined by the Russians during their involvement there. Brutal stuff and not for the squeamish.

Edited by jimmy boo
ETA.........shite spelling.

(46-48)

Harry Potters and the Half Blood Prince 5/10

Nearly finished watching them all now. Only two more to go and only taken me about 5 years. Pretty boring, this one, but better than the one before. Oooh they're all hormonal! Great...

The 13th 8/10

Fascinating documentary about how, basically black slavery has never been abolished, it has simply been replaced by the US penitentiary system. Really interesting and guaranteed to rile up your average Trump supporter.

The Wolverine 5/10

Filled this gap in after seeing Logan. Bit rubbs. Wolfclawman mopes around Japan and fights a robot samurai. Logan is better.

Blade Runner (Final Cut)

Seen it loads of times before but just took a notion. The special effects, 35 years old, are still tremendous. Anyone familiar with the film knows there are at least 5 versions and this one, unlike the 1992 "Directors cut" was overseen by Ridley Scott and corrects a lot of the "goofs" (as IMDB calls them).

My favourite film of the 1980s and a tremendous bit of sc-fi.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Patriots Day

Mark Wahlberg stots around the aftermath of the Boston Bombing with a sore knee but that doesn't stop him pursuing the Tsaernaev brothers around Bahston , almost single handedly bringing them to justice.

Typical dirge that most of 'Murica swallows up.

3/10

Black Mass

8/10

Saw it last year, in two parts over a couple of evenings but watched it all the way through last night for the first time.

Another Boston irish mafia crime tale, The Departed's Frank Costello was apparently loosely based on James 'Whitey' Bulger, this is a direct biopic of his criminal life with a very impressive turn from Johnny Depp as the man who was once head of the FBI's most wanted list, Bulger was by all accounts a ruthless, cold individual who killed at the drop of a hat with no emotion, Depp has him off to a tee here, as well as a stellar performance by Aussie actor Joel Edgerton as crooked FBI agent John Connoly who masters the distinctive Boston (Bow-oston) accent very well, moreso than a stumbling effort from Benedict Cumberbatch as Bulger's state senator brother Billy.

Also a good performance by Kevin Bacon as Connolly's suspicious boss Charles McGuire, a character who deserved a lot more screen time IMO.

Nails brilliantly the bleakness of the 'southee' South Boston projects ruled by Bulger's Winter Hill gang, some pretty brutal killing sequences in it as well, most notably Bulgers strangling of a drug addict prostitute just as a precaution in case she blabbed to the feds.

Thoroughly enjoyable two hours, would highly recommend if you like films such as Goodfellas and The Departed or, if like me you have a big interest in all things surrounding the Irish and Italian mafias in America's major cities.

Edited by Flybhoy

The Place Beyond the Pines

Very strong first act, boring second, impressive third. Attempts to spin too much of a tale within 140 minutes and the bits with Bradley Cooper just dragged by.

7/10

6 hours ago, Comrie said:

The Place Beyond the Pines

Very strong first act, boring second, impressive third. Attempts to spin too much of a tale within 140 minutes and the bits with Bradley Cooper just dragged by.

7/10

I think the most generous adjective I can come up with for this is "ambitious". Overall, though, it was WAY too long, the shifts in POV character too jarring, too obvious thematically, and just underwhelming overall. On the plus side, the Mike Patton soundtrack was great, as was the location, and it was nice to see Ray Liotta pop up unannounced from the set of Goodfellas.

3 hours ago, wellinwigan said:

Imperium

Harry potter joins the kkk .Unbelievable bit of miscasting in this dull thriller about fbi agent going undercover joining white supremacist organization 

2/10

Watched this the other day. I feel sorry for Daniel Radcliffe, I just can't take him seriously. I thought the film had some decent ideas but it was totally rushed and full of holes. It probably would have made a pretty gripping six part mini-series if it was done properly (but you could say the same about so many different films). 

Just watched Hacksaw Ridge. Old fashioned war film where local hick keeps his principles against the odds and performs heroically. Combat scenes were gory beyond belief. It's worth googling the real events after watching it, a particular bit of bravery towards the end was left out because Gibson thought the audience wouldn't believe it. 7/10.

Spoiler

Here's the man it was based on in "This is your Life!", worth it for the adverts alone.

Watched this the other day. I feel sorry for Daniel Radcliffe, I just can't take him seriously. I thought the film had some decent ideas but it was totally rushed and full of holes. It probably would have made a pretty gripping six part mini-series if it was done properly (but you could say the same about so many different films). 

I thought he was good in The Woman in Black but he's certainly never going to shake his Harry Potter persona. There is a decent actor in there though. Unlike Emma Watson: she's just dreadful. Still fizzing she's been cast as Belle!

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Are you going through a list of films to watch ? If yes what list is it from ?

Not sure what you mean mate? In relation to the Harry Potter comment? Nah, just meant finally nearly finished getting through the Potter flicks

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

The amount of different films you watch is incredible and they are so different compared to many who usually watch the same sort of films. Just presumed you were going through a list of some sort

Ah right, nah just have lots of different genre interest I guess. I watch a lot of docos, go to see lots of independent stuff, have a cineworld card for the "mainstream" stuff and then Sky/Netflix/Amazon etc for whatever takes my fancy in between times (mostly filling in blanks from the past that I didn't bother with at the time, like the Potter stuff for example)