What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Really liked this, and every time Martin was on screen, the whole thing just had a wrong feeling, and that was pretty much the backbone for every other thing that happens in the movie. Loved the direction it took especially towards the end. A couple of pretty hard scenes to watch in there too when things escalated. A very minor gripe was that the pacing was a bit TOO deliberate at times, although to be honest, it wasn't that bad.

8/10

Geostorm

An absolute mess of a film. It tried to be a disaster movie, a who dunnit and a tale of love and loyalty between two estranged brothers and it all just felt mashed together. If they'd focused on one (the disaster movie preferably seeing as that's what the movie was billed as) it would've been stronger for it. The number of of eye rolling cliches throughout the film as well. Jeezo.

I don't think the director was helped by his editor or the scriptwriter either as there was no consistency with the characters. This film had multiple re-shoots and this was the end result. God knows just now terrible it was prior to that.

Edited by Kyle

Halloween (1978):
In terms of sheer atmosphere, this is pretty amazing with an obviously iconic score. The sound effects are fairly dated nowadays although that’s understandable. I also appreciate how much of an influence it has been on other slashers as so many of the tropes are overused in modern horror movies and this started it all.
What makes the movie, though, is the direction which is honestly brilliant. Almost every shot is held for just that one second longer to strike fear into you that Mike Myers will appear out of nowhere, and it is when he doesn’t that you are lulled into a false sense of security due to him actually appearing in this empty space somewhere else down the line. This is something that some modern horror flicks use but don’t understand; they will always fill this space with something jumping out of nowhere with a big, loud sound effect to make you jump. The eeriness of nothing builds up so much tension throughout. Another way Carpenter uses empty space is having a fairly wide shot showing most of the area. Often Myers will appear in the background and often he won’t. It is edited in such a way that him just stepping sidewards into the frame provides a scare. He also liked to use big tracking shots to indicate movement or stalking by the killer. By far and away the best use of this is the opening scene - absolute genius.
Saying all of this, the acting and dialogue in this are fairly horrific, but the directing makes up for it.

7 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Halloween (1978):
In terms of sheer atmosphere, this is pretty amazing with an obviously iconic score. The sound effects are fairly dated nowadays although that’s understandable. I also appreciate how much of an influence it has been on other slashers as so many of the tropes are overused in modern horror movies and this started it all.
What makes the movie, though, is the direction which is honestly brilliant. Almost every shot is held for just that one second longer to strike fear into you that Mike Myers will appear out of nowhere, and it is when he doesn’t that you are lulled into a false sense of security due to him actually appearing in this empty space somewhere else down the line. This is something that some modern horror flicks use but don’t understand; they will always fill this space with something jumping out of nowhere with a big, loud sound effect to make you jump. The eeriness of nothing builds up so much tension throughout. Another way Carpenter uses empty space is having a fairly wide shot showing most of the area. Often Myers will appear in the background and often he won’t. It is edited in such a way that him just stepping sidewards into the frame provides a scare. He also liked to use big tracking shots to indicate movement or stalking by the killer. By far and away the best use of this is the opening scene - absolute genius.
Saying all of this, the acting and dialogue in this are fairly horrific, but the directing makes up for it.

Score was a rip-off of Tubular Bells segment used in The Exorcist IMO

Still a bloody great film!

The Shining (1980):
This is what horror is. It doesn’t rely on ridiculous scares, antagonists who can do crazy supernatural things without any explanation or gore. No, this proves that one person’s mind and one actor’s, erm, acting can be absolutely terrifying, and it is just the story of one man going mad out of guilt/dissatisfaction/isolation. One man’s mind is scarier than all of the ghosts, aliens and whatever else you can muster.
Given that the film focuses on three people, it lives and dies on their acting - they’re all fantastic. The kid does a great job, especially, and I can’t imagine what it would be like for someone that young to be an integral part of a film that dark, and dealing with incredibly grim subjects.

I am currently watching my favourite film of all time for about the 15th or 16th time. The level of acting by all the main stars is just off the scale as far as I am concerned. It won Oscars for the best actor and the best actress. It was even directed by the same guy that does the Simpsons. It has the perfect name also. As Good as it Gets.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:56, accies1874 said:

The Shining (1980):
This is what horror is. It doesn’t rely on ridiculous scares, antagonists who can do crazy supernatural things without any explanation or gore. No, this proves that one person’s mind and one actor’s, erm, acting can be absolutely terrifying, and it is just the story of one man going mad out of guilt/dissatisfaction/isolation. One man’s mind is scarier than all of the ghosts, aliens and whatever else you can muster.
Given that the film focuses on three people, it lives and dies on their acting - they’re all fantastic. The kid does a great job, especially, and I can’t imagine what it would be like for someone that young to be an integral part of a film that dark, and dealing with incredibly grim subjects.

Saw The Shining when I was about 12 and in a way it spoiled the horror genre for me. It set the bar so high that most others just feel like fluff. Kubrick gave us some utterly incredible films. 

I am currently watching my favourite film of all time for about the 15th or 16th time. The level of acting by all the main stars is just off the scale as far as I am concerned. It won Oscars for the best actor and the best actress. It was even directed by the same guy that does the Simpsons. It has the perfect name also. As Good as it Gets.

Haven’t seen that for ages. Brilliant wee gem of a film.

But is it?

A Monster Calls (2017...kinda):
One way to describe this is that it’s just a massive gut-punch of a movie. Right from the start, the main character, Connor, just has shite thing after shite thing happening to him.
The main narrative revolves around three fairytales told by Liam Neeson playing a tree (Liam Treeson?), but they are really told by the beautiful animation and the colour scheme that they take on. These add an extra layer of depth to the stories and give them that fairytale element.
What the movie does, starting from around 15 minutes in with a clip from ‘King Kong’, is make the main character accept that happy endings are incredibly rare and it’s all about how you accept this. His deterioration throughout the movie as he begins to realise that nothing will be ok is perfectly told by the young actor - whose name escapes me - putting in a terrific performance. Just his facial expressions alone tell the story without any dialogue needed. Felicity Jones is also superb.
It can be a drain to watch, but it handles the topics of the movie really well, although the bullying scenes are a bit stereotypical without having anything interesting to say. The encapsulation of the grieving process is pretty great but what twists it is that he is grieving for someone who is already alive. This brings up different ideas and themes that make the story even more harrowing, but ultimately make it more interesting. The ending is both beautiful and devastating.

8 hours ago, supermik said:

What is it m8? Sounds ace!

Saw The Shining when I was about 12 and in a way it spoiled the horror genre for me. It set the bar so high that most others just feel like fluff. Kubrick gave us some utterly incredible films. 

Read the book. I guarantee you'll shite yourself.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Read the book. I guarantee you'll shite yourself.

Read it a couple of years back. Loved the animal shaped bushes. They’re not in the film but with modern CGI could be terrifying. Stephen King  didn’t like the film, probably because Kubrick made the film as his own interpretation, rather than a faithful re-telling of the book.