What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Battle Of The Sexes - 7/10 (cinema)

Billie Jean King takes on misogynist Bobby Riggs to prove whether or not women can compete with men at tennis. Steve Carrell is excellent as Riggs, and Emma Stone puts in a solid performance as King. Don't see why it's getting some Oscars hype, but still a very good watch. 

Battle Of The Sexes - 7/10 (cinema)
Billie Jean King takes on misogynist Bobby Riggs to prove whether or not women can compete with men at tennis. Steve Carrell is excellent as Riggs, and Emma Stone puts in a solid performance as King. Don't see why it's getting some Oscars hype, but still a very good watch. 

I think this year we are seeing some amount of decent but not great movies getting Oscar hype. I’ve seen plenty of people online pushing Wonder Woman for awards, despite the fact that it wasn’t even the best comic book movie this year.

Another Lumet classic...

Network achieved some notable firsts.

• Peter Finch was the 1st actor to be posthumously awarded the Oscar for Best Actor
  • It was the first film to have have 5 actors nominated for Best Actor/Supporting Actor awards at the Oscars

At 55 minutes in, the soothsayer that is Howard Beale implores people to declare "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore".

40 years on, it's advice for us all.

I think this year we are seeing some amount of decent but not great movies getting Oscar hype. I’ve seen plenty of people online pushing Wonder Woman for awards, despite the fact that it wasn’t even the best comic book movie this year.

I think Gadot is the main shout for it which is fair, but I'd have Hugh Jackman as a better shout.

12 Angry Men (1957)
Sidney Lumet's directorial debut  and a masterpiece in film making. 
Phenomenal performances from all the jurors.
Currently number 5 on IMDB's all time list, thoroughly deserved.

An absolute classic. Fonda and Cobb (i think - the most stubborn one) are brilliant but as you say so is everyone else. 12 distinct characters that interact wonderfully. Such a simple premise but done exquisitely.

I only watched it last year for the first time and it's comfortably in my top 10. CGI has it's place in films nowadays but for me there isn't enough CGI in the world that can outdo a great story. I love an old film where it's all about the terrific writing and little if any actual action (suggestions appreciated!) and this falls into this category nicely.

The gif below was a right fist pump moment for me and must have been one of the earliest 'Scenes!!' moments in film. Excellent stuff.

9bb31b87031d51f1fdd9cf86c0a0783d.gif

The Disaster Artist - 8/10

James Franco stars in the true story of how the world's best worst film was created.  The Room is one of my favourite films for all the wrong reasons so I was ecstatic when I heard that they were making The Disaster Artist.

Firstly both the Franco brothers are superb.  How the hell James managed to nail Tommy Wiseaus voice so perfectly is beyond me.  A highly enjoyable 90 minutes that flew by. Started a little bit slow but once they ended up in LA it was great.  So many cameos which are all nailed - Zac Efron and Seth Rogen my 2 personal favourites.

I need to get the book of this for Christmas as it just seems to be too crazy for it to be a true story!

Spoiler

My personal favourite scenes -

The first time we meet Tommy at the acting class and he is screaming "STELLAAAAAAAAAAA" at a bemused audience.

The whole scene at the premier was excellent.

Tommy laughing at the awful story about a girl being beaten up despite the crew telling him it's not in the scripts - "ha ha what a story Mark"

Before the end credits we see some of the recreated parts of the Room alongside the original film.  It's incredible how similar they got them to be. The voices, the mannerisms and even the sets are just perfect.

tumblr_nvqosjaes21s16qvuo1_500.gif

tumblr_otdrwxA7Yb1wvniv1o1_500.gif

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

The Disaster Artist - 8/10

James Franco stars in the true story of how the world's best worst film was created.  The Room is one of my favourite films for all the wrong reasons so I was ecstatic when I heard that they were making The Disaster Artist.

Firstly both the Franco brothers are superb.  How the hell James managed to nail Tommy Wiseaus voice so perfectly is beyond me.  A highly enjoyable 90 minutes that flew by. Started a little bit slow but once they ended up in LA it was great.  So many cameos which are all nailed - Zac Efron and Seth Rogen my 2 personal favourites.

I need to get the book of this for Christmas as it just seems to be too crazy for it to be a true story!

Hide contents

My personal favourite scenes -

The first time we meet Tommy at the acting class and he is screaming "STELLAAAAAAAAAAA" at a bemused audience.

The whole scene at the premier was excellent.

Tommy laughing at the awful story about a girl being beaten up despite the crew telling him it's not in the scripts - "ha ha what a story Mark"

Before the end credits we see some of the recreated parts of the Room alongside the original film.  It's incredible how similar they got them to be. The voices, the mannerisms and even the sets are just perfect.

tumblr_nvqosjaes21s16qvuo1_500.gif

tumblr_otdrwxA7Yb1wvniv1o1_500.gif

My thoughts exactly. Definitely in my top 5 of the year. I heard after I left that there's a scene after the credits starring Wiseau because he demanded that he star in the film, so they just put it at the very end. Will probably go again to see it.

On 27/11/2017 at 01:48, Lurkst said:

Indeed, one of the most menacing performances I've seen in years....

He plays George Smiley in all of Radio 4's adaptations of John Le Carre's Smiley novels and is incredible in those too. On a par with Alec Guinness and better than Gary Oldman in that role.

Justice League

Enjoyed this a fair bit actually. The overly daft stuff was so daft that I just ended up laughing at it, and therefore didn't really take much away from it. Cyborg was boring as f**k but most of them came across pretty well, and actually enjoyed the villain a fair bit as well.

7/10

Justice League
Enjoyed this a fair bit actually. The overly daft stuff was so daft that I just ended up laughing at it, and therefore didn't really take much away from it. Cyborg was boring as f**k but most of them came across pretty well, and actually enjoyed the villain a fair bit as well.
7/10

4/10 from me.

It had no real redeeming features. The only decent bit was the 'reveal' and fight sequenece but even then it was hammy as f**k.

I quite liked cyborg as he was the only one who had a bit of back story.

The mystical mother boxes yawn and steppenwolf zzzzzz

Post Nolan Dc just hasn't worked. Trying to shoehorn in characters and the talk of constant reshoots based on the recations to Marvel films. It's a bit of a mess.

Oh and the latest justice league poster now has the man of steel front and centre [emoji23]

The 'Burbs - 8/10 (Netflix)

No idea how I haven't seen this before. Been meaning to watch it for years and only finally got round to it last night. Loved it. I'm a massive Tom Hanks fan, so chances are I was going to like this but it's just a great film about suburban paranoia.

17 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Justice League

7/10

I thought Cyborg was significantly better than he ever was in the comics. In general, he is a dreadful character.