What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Brigsby Bear - 10/10 (cinema)
Probably the best film I've seen this year. Kyle Mooney (who I admittedly hadn't heard of before this) plays a kidnapping victim who is finally released and is obsessed with a character called Brigsby Bear (created by his captors). He then creates a film continuing the story of Brigsby from where it left off. Hilarious in places, touching in others. Fantastic film.

I saw it today (it’s barely on anywhere so had to go to Silverburn). As you say, it’s both funny and touching, but my issue with it was that the plot was a wee bit rushed and flimsy; it could have done with an extra 15-20 minutes. That being said, it’s told pretty much exclusively through James, so it is understandable that things can come out of nowhere - that’s life.
The acting was pretty solid, although some of the younger cast members aren’t great. Kyle Mooney (playing James) is especially great given how much the camera is so tight to his face for much of the opening, and then he has to use his body more as it goes on.
Aesthetically, it is fantastic. There are some brilliant shots, vibrant colours and washed-out pallets that make it a delight to watch, and the short sequences showing the show are well handled.
It explores the idea of the fact that your “family” don’t have to be related to you and that bad people can do good and good people can do bad, and in that regard it verged on getting schmaltzy. In the end, it just about managed to steer clear of it though.

Currently about 2/3rds of the way through Inland Empire for the first time. Not sure if I'll make it through, I'm absolutely shiteing it.

ETA. Got through it, couldn't explain it if I tried. All I know is it was the most unsettling film I've ever watched, constantly on edge.

Just finished 'The Babysitter', a Netflix original.

Boy stays up one night to see what his babysitter gets up to after he's asleep and basically finds out that she's the leader of some Satanic cult.

Good, brainless nonsense and an entertaining enough half an hour. Basically an incredibly violent Home Alone (something that is referenced) and some pretty funny moments

Went to see Wonder at the Grosvenor cinema in Glasgow (first time there, very nice) the other night. Thought it was pretty good with some interesting stories beyond the boy with the facial disfigurement. Would give it a solid 8.

Watched the documentary Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond last night and afterwards watched a 20 minute Q&A with Jim Carrey, the director Chris Smith and Bob Zmuda. Captivating film that confirms Jim Carrey is a w**k. Another 8 from me.

Following watching Eraserhead the other day, tonight I watched Blue Velvet for the first time.  I quite enjoyed it and it has a more linear storyline but it was quite hard to watch at times.  Don't know about you, but I clocked the man with the moustache straight away.

A question about The Room really. I've watched the first 20 minutes and it's just god awful. I realise it's poor but why has it gained so much popularity? Is the film worth sticking with for the so bad it's good element?

A question about The Room really. I've watched the first 20 minutes and it's just god awful. I realise it's poor but why has it gained so much popularity? Is the film worth sticking with for the so bad it's good element?

It's supposed to be so bad it's good, often considered one of the worst films ever made.

Never seen it before so you've inspired me to give it a go. Only a few minutes in and it's very, very shit.

In my opinion, it’s that it could be perceived as a comedy. There’s some quite funny moments, and the dialogue is so poor and poorly delivered that it is easy to quote for a joke. Tommy’s mystery and belief that it is so good also add to the fanfare.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (Cinema)
Quite enjoyed this after thinking it'd just be some cheap knock off of the original one, They've updated the game for the computer game generation and the four kids get sucked into the game and come out as the game avatars of the 4 main actors. Each of the avatars is just about the opposite of how the kids are in real life so they all learn a lesson etc etc. They just about get away with dressing Karen Gillan in very little which caused a bit of controversy when the pictures first came out but I valiantly managed to get over it. Jack Black steals just about every scene too.
All in all it's decent enough, not a classic like the original but all the characters are likeable and there was a couple of good laughs. 
6/10.
You had me at Karen Gillan.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

I like slow paced films, I really do. Blade Runner 2049 was incredible and Wind River was thoroughly enjoyable.

All the critical reviews for this, however, definitely smacks of Emperor's New Clothes.

I'm going to put a one line plot summary in the spoiler tag for this 2 hour movie.

Spoiler

Farrell is a heart surgeon who's patient dies, patient's son befriends him but  then blames him for the death and invokes a curse on his family which will only be lifted if Farrell kills one of his own children.

Yeah, I've read how it's based on  the story of Agamemnon and that's all very arty but wow, it's 2 hours of your life you're never getting back.

Commando is fucking brilliant. A glorious slice of ludicrous nonsense. It's genuinely one of my favourite films.

Even the opening credits had me chuckling, what with the shots of Matrix's biceps that cuts to a shot of him and his daughter feeding a deer. An excellent juxtaposition that lets you know this promises to be astonishing. Him smelling the enemy on the wind is an early indication of the glory to come.

Colonel John Matrix is a great name for a character by the way.

One thing I've always wondered though; where did Bennett get those fucking goons from? They're all wee shitey pussies, especially Sully.