What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Books are shite, m9.

The film is utter shite in comparison to the book tbh.

Read it a couple of years back. Loved the animal shaped bushes. They’re not in the film but with modern CGI could be terrifying. Stephen King  didn’t like the film, probably because Kubrick made the film as his own interpretation, rather than a faithful re-telling of the book.

That's always the scene I mention. I'd love to know my heartrate while reading that part [emoji38]

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Had it not been based on a true story one could easily dismiss this as far-fetched but the brilliant acting of Pacino and direction of Lumet make it thoroughly enjoyable.

Much of it is adlibbed (Pacino yelling "Attica", Cazale's choice of destination, the phone conversation between Pacino and Sarandon) and it is probably 15 minutes or so too long (we really don't need the first 5 minutes showing us ordinary New Yorkers going about their day) but it's still a great 70s movie.

I am currently watching my favourite film of all time for about the 15th or 16th time. The level of acting by all the main stars is just off the scale as far as I am concerned. It won Oscars for the best actor and the best actress. It was even directed by the same guy that does the Simpsons. It has the perfect name also. As Good as it Gets.
I was going to watch wonder woman, I think I'll watch this instead, its one of my favs right there, Jack Nicholson is superb in it

Mississippi Burning....(1988)

Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe as FBI agents investigating disappearance of three civil rights boys in  1964 deep south still rife with racism including within sheriffs department in collusion with KKK.

Absolutely outstanding .........10/10.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017):
There was a lot of enjoyment to be found in this - the look, the witticisms, the mystery - but I just felt that there was something really lacking.
While I enjoyed the main story and pay-off, a lot of the conclusions that were made felt very rushed and out of nowhere. This is where I think it would’ve been better in the book as there is more time to breathe and build up these revelations. Clunky is how I’d describe it.
Several characters also had little development and also came out of nowhere, and while this could come down to more limited time time constraints, some characters were unnecessarily focussed on too much.

40 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Murder on the Orient Express (2017):
There was a lot of enjoyment to be found in this - the look, the witticisms, the mystery - but I just felt that there was something really lacking.
While I enjoyed the main story and pay-off, a lot of the conclusions that were made felt very rushed and out of nowhere. This is where I think it would’ve been better in the book as there is more time to breathe and build up these revelations. Clunky is how I’d describe it.
Several characters also had little development and also came out of nowhere, and while this could come down to more limited time time constraints, some characters were unnecessarily focussed on too much.

I saw this last week and hated it. Didn't realise Kenneth Branagh directed it, and throughout the whole thing I was just thinking it was one big self-indulgent, ego trip for him. When his name appeared as the director on the end credits, I wasn't surprised.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Colin Farrell plays a surgeon with a picture perfect life - brilliant and respected in his career, a beautiful wife (Nicole Kidman) and cherubic children, a huge house, fancy watch.  We see him go about his day and eventually see him meeting a rather incongruous teenager, Martin, who he clearly has some sort of link to.  It's this relationship that threatens everything else we see.

A really, odd film.  It's unsettling and off the whole way through, in a good way.  It's billed as a psychological horror, which I suppose it is but there aren't that many horror features or cliches.  The thing that made it unsettling for me was the way that all the characters related to each other, it's a really cold, off-hand way.  It's almost ironic but also jars when characters relate things in this way, it makes for an uneasy watch ("how are your family?" "Wonderful - Kim started menstruating last week").  The plot develops to a point where things begin falling apart and the cold manner of conversation becomes extremely unsettling.  

I enjoyed it but it's also not for everyone - a bit creepy and weird.  Reminded me a little of The Shining (some of the tracker shots are Shining esque) and Kill List, so if you liked them you might like this one.  

Paddington 2

I wanted to be cynical but it won me over in no time. Really funny, loads of enjoyable performances (especially Hugh Grant as the villain). The CGI is so good it just looks like a Paddington is a real person. If you have kids, or can borrow some, get along. If you don’t, go anyway.

Excellent, unsubtle attacks on intolerance too. 

9/10

The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Really liked this, and every time Martin was on screen, the whole thing just had a wrong feeling, and that was pretty much the backbone for every other thing that happens in the movie. Loved the direction it took especially towards the end. A couple of pretty hard scenes to watch in there too when things escalated. A very minor gripe was that the pacing was a bit TOO deliberate at times, although to be honest, it wasn't that bad.
8/10

It's the music in Martin's scenes. I said to the person next to me that I felt that incredibly anxious from the first moment he was on screen.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer.
Colin Farrell plays a surgeon with a picture perfect life - brilliant and respected in his career, a beautiful wife (Nicole Kidman) and cherubic children, a huge house, fancy watch.  We see him go about his day and eventually see him meeting a rather incongruous teenager, Martin, who he clearly has some sort of link to.  It's this relationship that threatens everything else we see.
A really, odd film.  It's unsettling and off the whole way through, in a good way.  It's billed as a psychological horror, which I suppose it is but there aren't that many horror features or cliches.  The thing that made it unsettling for me was the way that all the characters related to each other, it's a really cold, off-hand way.  It's almost ironic but also jars when characters relate things in this way, it makes for an uneasy watch ("how are your family?" "Wonderful - Kim started menstruating last week").  The plot develops to a point where things begin falling apart and the cold manner of conversation becomes extremely unsettling.  
I enjoyed it but it's also not for everyone - a bit creepy and weird.  Reminded me a little of The Shining (some of the tracker shots are Shining esque) and Kill List, so if you liked them you might like this one.  

The manner in which they act and speak makes their actions towards the latter half more understandable IMO. I wasn't as shocked as I could've been but I always on edge.

Mudbound (Netflix)

Engaging story set in post war Mississippi focusing on 2 farming families,one black and one white, the harsh existence is depicted well along with the 2 contrasting dynamics of the families, The hope and unity of the black family against the bleak disappointment of the whites shines through.Racism is of course a huge part of the film but is highlighted by the relationship between the 2 returning family members after serving in Germany and their struggle to fit into a world that is alien to them after their experiences, their friendship is forged through the unifying bond that men in combat can have regardless of colour.

I thought it was a great piece of work,well made and performed, this is deemed to be the first big play for awards by Netflix,racism can be a subject which can lead to gongs and so on if done right and for me this was.9/10

(197-198)

Florida Project 8.5/10

Same bloke who made 'Tangerine' (which was also brilliant), set in a world of pink motels and tacky gift shops just outside Disneyworld, no real story just young kids hanging out for the summer while their mums try and make enough money to not become homeless, flippin good. (cinema)

Good Time 8/10

VERY tense, bank robbery goes to shit and Pattinson has to deal with the fallout, most of it set over the course of 24 hours, great soundtrack from Oneohtrix Point Never. (cinema)

Justice League (5/10) Cinema

There's just something missing from the DC films. It's more watchable than BvS and Suicide Squad which I don't think I could sit through again but like those films it just misses the mark by trying make everyone look cool and forgetting that films need a proper structure.
I reckon there's hope for the franchise but they need to ditch Snyder as soon as they possibly can.