What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Buried (2010):
I had a lot of scepticism about this given it’s filmed entirely in a coffin, but I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. They keep the pressure and tension at an extremely high point for pretty much all of the movie and Ryan Reynolds is fantastic. There really is only one moment that I felt existed to just pad it out, which I think is pretty good going for an hour and a half movie of this nature. It’s also a fairly hard-hitting and informative story about US foreign policy, but it doesn’t get too preachy about it at all.

Baby Driver (2017):
A fun romp with a very clever gimmick, but I thought that the gimmick and Edgar Wright’s visual style covered up what was a fairly bog standard story. I liked some of the dialogue and all the things that Wright had a clear stamp on. The romance and narrative were pretty dull and simple, though, and I’m not convinced that he can write dialogue; the best romances I’ve seen in his movies are the “bromances” in the first two movies of the Cornetto trilogy.
That said, it really was great fun due to it being directed by Edgar Wright, and the two hours flew by. The visuals and sound editing were also outstanding.

(200)

Battle of the Sexes 7.14/10

Dragged a bit and I HATE tennis but this was well crafted and engaging and well acted. The climatic match seemed to cut footage with close-ups which worked well. The love triangle with BJK, her husband and her lesbian lover was sensitively handled and Steve Carell  and Bill Pullman were both great. (cinema)

Arrival (2016):
A well-written sci-fi mystery that is more about the human psyche, hope and paranoia than it is about aliens. I thought it was absolutely wonderful. Sometimes it could slow right down that it became slightly tedious, but these scenes did add a lot more weight and pressure to it given the ever-lingering presence of the military wanting to speed things up.
I really, really liked the twist and I haven’t felt shocked at a twist like that in a long time. The only problem was that it ended up making the ending a bit too easy.
The acting was pretty good too, although Amy Adams stole the show.

Battle of the Sexes (2017):
I thought that it was pretty good. Despite it bordering on far too preachy at certain points, it did mostly salvage it. It managed to perceive casual sexism very well at times - when they were all on the radio and when Rosie was a commentator - and I just wished they focussed on that more.
The romance wasn’t well-done, in my opinion. I understand that they had to include it but it was out of nowhere and I don’t think they knew where to go with it, constantly chopping and changing characters’ motivations.
Other than it, the movie was good, and it managed to show us a problem in the past and link it in to modern day issues - something most period dramas should do, in my opinion.

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 01:38, Patrick Bateman said:

Ex Machina

I thought about halfway through this that I was watching a classic. Kind of fell apart towards the end though unfortunately.

Some great visuals and tense moments. Somewhat of a missed opportunity I feel.

3/5

Not the first Alex Garland written movie to do that. Sunshine had all the makings of a classic Sci-Fi - looked amazing, sounded great, fantastic cast - before falling apart in the final reel.

Edited by renton

Wonder (cinema)

Found this film enjoyable enough. Thought it was well layered with interesting character arcs outside of Auggie. I've got to be honest - I found his story bordering on the tedious at times and felt the film truly came alive when it focused on the impact his deformity had on those around him. Jacob Tremblay is a tremendous young actor - following up from a real star turn in Room brilliantly - but felt the young actress playing his sister did more with her far more limited opportunities to shine in the movie. I feel there's more to this story than the film managed to or were able to put across  in a movie, so I've bought the book.

7/10

Wind River (2017)

Glacier slow pacing  (excuse the pun) until the very violent final third but great acting by Renner and Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves, The Green Mile).

A good directorial debut  by Taylor Sheridan (ignoring a short he made a while back) and, like  Hell or High Water (another film where  he  wrote the screenplay), there are  plenty of  widescreen landscapes to admire.

The Killers (1964)

I'm not normally a fan or re-makes but this is a good one.

Lee Marvin and the oddly named Clu Gulagler play hitmen who, when carrying out their hit, are baffled by their victim's resistance to defend himself and the large fee for "a simple hit".

Cue  them delving into the victim's past and who ordered the hit.

Originally  was going to be the very first "made for TV movie" but given a theatrical release due its violence, it's Ronald Reagan's last film and the only one where he played a baddie.

Wind River (2017)
Glacier slow pacing  (excuse the pun) until the very violent final third but great acting by Renner and Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves, The Green Mile).
A good directorial debut  by Taylor Sheridan (ignoring a short he made a while back) and, like  Hell or High Water (another film where  he  wrote the screenplay), there are  plenty of  widescreen landscapes to admire.

Good shout. Just watched this. Tremendous! 8/10

Wonder - 7/10 (cinema)

Agree pretty much word for word what Kyle said above. The story was far better when it focussed on those outwith Auggie and the impact his situation had on them, particularly his sister (who was the star of the film). It was a bit too cheesy when focussing on him. 

I Am Michael - 6/10 (Netflix)

True story about Michael Glatze (played by James Franco), who went from being an activist for gay rights, to a religious nut who renounces his homosexuality in a pretty short space of time. This could have been an incredible film, especially since the story is very interesting, but missed the mark on too many occasions. Still very watchable though. There's a short documentary on Netflix called Michael: Lost & Found which shows his ex-boyfriend visiting and interviewing Michael, and his wife, which is well worth a watch as well.