What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Missus got a cinema voucher, a small one screen place down the road that I never knew existed.

She thought it'd be fun to watch an older film on the big screen, something from the 90s. Fair enough, beer and popcorn too with money left over to spend next time.

Film turned out to be Showgirls. About a prostitute who goes to Vegas looking to make some cash but without fucking for it. Becomes a stripper.

I've never watched a film where I've hated absolutely everyone in the film. I've seen far worse films, but never hated everyone in one until this. Throw in a needless and sick inducing rape scene and this wasn't much fun despite all the boobs on show.

22 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know some of them are better than others, but did Paul Newman ever make a bad film?

The afore mentioned "better than" ones are generally 9 or 10/10s

I used to say the exact same about Gene Hackman, until I saw The Chamber.

I was never a big fan of Cars.

Went to see candyman and I had very mixed feelings about it.

I thought the film as a stand alone film would have been absolutely great with a cracking story and hard hitting messages. As an “old school slasher fan” however I don’t watch horrors other than to try switch off and enjoy them.

I didn’t like that candyman went from Tony Todd’s character who was full of charisma and had a weird charm to a character who never said a word and was pretty bland. Anyone who liked the originals will hopefully know what I mean about the difference. 

It’s now the case of multiple “candymen” each a victim to racial violence and whilst I understand the importance of that message and it did hit home hard. I would have preferred it if they then showed various versions of the legend throughout the film and told us their stories rather than just focusing on the one. 

I get it’s all relevant subjects such as police brutality and gentrification i just don’t see the film being a horror in the same way the originals were. 

I know it won’t be a popular view but that’s my take 

11 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

7 years late to the party, but I watched Interstellar the other night.  Fantastic film and I'm just disappointed that I didn't get to see it at an IMAX.

10/10

My 3rd favourite film. Couldn't put a number on the amount of times I've watched it and it never disappoints. The score is the best part of the film imo.

On 29/08/2021 at 17:38, Mark Connolly said:

I know some of them are better than others, but did Paul Newman ever make a bad film?

The afore mentioned "better than" ones are generally 9 or 10/10s

Newman is a fully verified and certified shagger.  His pasta sauces are top quality as well. I've not seen them for a while though. Do you still get them?

21 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

My 3rd favourite film. Couldn't put a number on the amount of times I've watched it and it never disappoints. The score is the best part of the film imo.

What's your first and second favourites?

Edited by Paul Kersey

Wonder Woman 1984

3/10

This genuinely is an absolute mess of a film. Gadot is it's only saving grace.

The character of Maxwell Lord is neither threatening enough to be a memorable villain nor interesting enough for you to like him. He’s just annoying the whole time he’s on the screen.

The film takes itself way too seriously with some of the preachy lines just utterly cheesy cringe.

Another DC fuckup - even worse than Birds of Prey but not quite Green Lantern territory.

9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Wonder Woman 1984

3/10

This genuinely is an absolute mess of a film. Gadot is it's only saving grace.

The character of Maxwell Lord is neither threatening enough to be a memorable villain nor interesting enough for you to like him. He’s just annoying the whole time he’s on the screen.

The film takes itself way too seriously with some of the preachy lines just utterly cheesy cringe.

Another DC fuckup - even worse than Birds of Prey but not quite Green Lantern territory.

I started this last night. Then gave up. 
you’re right, it’s shite

Shang-Chi: The Lord of the Rings (cinema) - a young Chinese lad must face his family demons when his father sends an army of ninjas to bring him home.

Yeah, this was good. Nothing extraordinary story-wise, and you'll be able to work out how the plot will be resolved for all the main characters early on, but there's plenty of Hong Kong style martial arts action, eye-popping set pieces, and CGI to coo over. We're back to the first round of introductory films for new Marvel characters, and this is probably better than most of the debuts for the old established heroes. Plus, a few cameos from characters that you might have expected to never see in a Marvel film again, which was nice.

It's also better than the trailers would lead you to believe, if anyone was feeling a bit apathetic by their blandness. Worth seeing; looking forward to the characters popping up again in later films.

On 30/12/2019 at 11:16, LondonHMFC said:

The Keeper: 

Really enjoyed this, knew the story of Bert Trautmann breaking his neck in the FA Cup Final and playing on, however didn't quite realise his own personal history.  

Whilst football takes a centre stage throughout, there is more than enough going on to keep those interested who don't care for it. 

9/10 

Watched it last night on BBC2, excellent film, as good a representation of football in the post war years as I've seen.

It's now on the iplayer for the next few months.

Villains (2019)

Feels like the plot of a shite horror repurposed to be an attempted cult teen movie, not wholly unsuccessfully. 

Enjoyable but silly. Enjoyed the baddies. 6/10.

War Dogs (2016)

Fly by night arms dealing caper. 

Like a much less fun wolf of wall street. As blunt as an oliver stone film and not as much fun or as satirical as it seemed to think it was. 5/10

Shang Li + etc... 

Top notch supernatural action with a bit of comedy from marvel.

Worth seeing in the pictures i reckon. 8/10