Depression

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

Cheers, I'm actually doing much better, out house more but because of dosages I need the psychiatrist to review it.

Glad to hear. You're on a path to a brighter future (bit of a cliche I know).

Offer stands if you want to meet for a pint/blether.

11 hours ago, Venti said:

Glad to hear. You're on a path to a brighter future (bit of a cliche I know).

Offer stands if you want to meet for a pint/blether.

First time pint and blether rather than Swatch oh yer chebs been used on here as want to meet!

• 3 weeks later...

I’m having a really difficult time with health anxiety just now.

I was in Germany for the Switzerland game and overdid it on the drink one night (I don’t drink particularly often anymore) so felt horrendous the next day - the shits and throwing up. The problem is that the shits haven’t gone away since, and it’s really worrying me. I’m totally aware of every sensation in my body, and my mind obsesses over what it could mean. I have struggled with this before, and it was worse last time but I’m still have a crap time of it. I try to challenge the thoughts, but it’s not easy.  I’ve been to my GP, who thinks the likelihood is that I have had a mild stomach bug but that health anxiety is prolonging things. But my mind just goes “what if you’ve got stomach cancer” and I panic. It’s fucking exhausting having the adrenaline pounding through me all day as well, and I’m being sick a bit so struggling to eat too much. 

Im going through therapy for it just now and I’m on paroxetine, and I know that I will get better sooner or later, but I’m just struggling just now. I know my partner is having a tough time too, not just with me, so I can’t put her through this again.

i don’t really know what I want to get out of this post, but I thought writing it down might help. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I was in Germany for the Switzerland game and overdid it on the drink one night (I don’t drink particularly often anymore) so felt horrendous the next day - the shits and throwing up. The problem is that the shits haven’t gone away since, and it’s really worrying me. I’m totally aware of every sensation in my body, and my mind obsesses over what it could mean. I have struggled with this before, and it was worse last time but I’m still have a crap time of it. I try to challenge the thoughts, but it’s not easy.  I’ve been to my GP, who thinks the likelihood is that I have had a mild stomach bug but that health anxiety is prolonging things. But my mind just goes “what if you’ve got stomach cancer” and I panic. It’s fucking exhausting having the adrenaline pounding through me all day as well, and I’m being sick a bit so struggling to eat too much. 

Im going through therapy for it just now and I’m on paroxetine, and I know that I will get better sooner or later, but I’m just struggling just now. I know my partner is having a tough time too, not just with me, so I can’t put her through this again.

i don’t really know what I want to get out of this post, but I thought writing it down might help. 

You might have had alcohol poisoning. Did you tell the doctor you were tanning the drink?

Posted (edited)

@oneteaminglasgow do you have any strategies for dealing with anxiety? 

My body is in a near constant state of fight or flight and I've found a few that help. If you don't have any then I recommend box breathing when you start to feel the anxiety. 

Catastrophising when ill is probably more common than you think, especially among men. It does sound that your limbic system is reacting very strongly here. It's our defense system, and like any defense system it adapts to the perceived threat level. You may be telling it that it's fine, that you've just got the shits, but your limbic system (sympathetic nervous system) has been programmed from an earlier experience that told it to equate minor illness with a threat to.life.

Edited by velo army

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Post drinking anxiety used to absolutely cripple me, particularly a 3+ day bender, one time that bad I was on the verge of a panic attack for hours, couldn't sit down, couldn't lie down, standing up and pacing around the house all night, not a single bit of sleep, didn't help I had a 6am flight the next morning. I'm that annoying c**t that doesn't really get traditional hangovers except unreal levels of anxiety, but I'd take a regular hangover over it any day of the week. I used to find podcasts to listen to, the 'Where is my Mind' podcast from a fellow anxiety sufferer helped quite a bit.

Anyway, couple of the lads I was with have been going on about the shits for days since returning from Germany, so it's potentially a bug or something like that for them as well. As my father in law would say "Occam's razor and go have a Guinness or two" is not best advice for everyone but the combination usually works for me. 

Also, try the usual, apple, burnt toast, rice etc... if you haven't already. 

37 minutes ago, velo army said:

@oneteaminglasgow do you have any strategies for dealing with anxiety? 

My body is in a near constant state of fight or flight and I've found a few that help. If you don't have any then I recommend box breathing when you start to feel the anxiety. 

Catastrophising when ill is probably more common than you think, especially among men. It does sound that your limbic system is reacting very strongly here. It's our defense system, and like any defense system it adapts to the perceived threat level. You may be telling it that it's fine, that you've just got the shits, but your limbic system (sympathetic nervous system) has been programmed from an earlier experience that told it to equate minor illness with a threat to.life.

I try to do belly breathing or rectangular breathing is what I got it called to me, but I imagine it’s the same thing you mean. I also try the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 method to bring me back into the room.

Other than that, it’s beta blockers which seem to be helping the most.

What you’ve said there really does sound right, but wasn’t something that would’ve occurred to me. 

28 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Post drinking anxiety used to absolutely cripple me, particularly a 3+ day bender, one time that bad I was on the verge of a panic attack for hours, couldn't sit down, couldn't lie down, standing up and pacing around the house all night, not a single bit of sleep, didn't help I had a 6am flight the next morning. I'm that annoying c**t that doesn't really get traditional hangovers except unreal levels of anxiety, but I'd take a regular hangover over it any day of the week. I used to find podcasts to listen to, the 'Where is my Mind' podcast from a fellow anxiety sufferer helped quite a bit.

Anyway, couple of the lads I was with have been going on about the shits for days since returning from Germany, so it's potentially a bug or something like that for them as well. As my father in law would say "Occam's razor and go have a Guinness or two" is not best advice for everyone but the combination usually works for me. 

Also, try the usual, apple, burnt toast, rice etc... if you haven't already. 

Never heard of the podcast, but good idea - thank you! 

17 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I try to do belly breathing or rectangular breathing is what I got it called to me, but I imagine it’s the same thing you mean. I also try the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 method to bring me back into the room.

Other than that, it’s beta blockers which seem to be helping the most.

What you’ve said there really does sound right, but wasn’t something that would’ve occurred to me. 

Never heard of the podcast, but good idea - thank you! 

Aye it sounds like you have some good strategies for the somatic responses. It could be time to bring in some cognition to help you understand a bit more of the "why", as beta blockers aren't a long term solution.

I'd recommend listening to Gabor Mate. He has some excellent things to say on anxiety, limbic responses and even stomach issues connected to that. 

Am struggling tonight lads. Every which angle I turn I can't win. I always bang on about it's always darkest before the dawn and all that but my god until you stand all alone you don,'t understand a thing.

I am ashamed and embarassed by my shortcomings and I, with God as my witness, don't know my way out. I am a failure. I am so sorry.

We all have our shortcomings, no one is perfect, even if they appear to be or give off that impression. Having shortcomings doesn’t make you a failure, it makes you human, do not apologise, but even take one of the “shortcomings” and see if you can improve on it. Start there and take things one at a time. 

5 hours ago, southernrover said:

Am struggling tonight lads. Every which angle I turn I can't win. I always bang on about it's always darkest before the dawn and all that but my god until you stand all alone you don,'t understand a thing.

I am ashamed and embarassed by my shortcomings and I, with God as my witness, don't know my way out. I am a failure. I am so sorry.

The first thing is to find a way, if possible, stop dead with the racing mind going over shortcomings and how you can’t win. Deep breaths, stop where you are, look carefully around and assess. You likely have plenty that’s going, if not well, pretty good. That’s the starting place…build off that base.

It’s terribly easy to believe that everyone is looking at you and sees right through you…when, in reality, most of them are thinking the same damn thing about you and everyone else. After you stabilize things a wee bit, that first step is a real b***h, but it often becomes easier with every additional step you take.

There will be games all over tomorrow, go see a local team somewhere…something completely out of your normal range…just relax and try to take your mind off the worries and concerns for a couple of hours. A reset can help a lot. And, as always, we’re here to listen to whatever you need to vent.

10 hours ago, southernrover said:

Hope you are better today & you're never alone.

You've absolutely nothing to be ashamed or embarassed about. I put my washing out to dry in my boxers & my hot neighbour came out at the same time.

That's something to be embarassed about.

Seriously though, you aren't a failure. As folk say time after time on here, stop comparing yourself to others.

There's never a need to apologise on here either. I hope you're OK mate.

A really rather odd post to randomly make on a thread like this where I've made absolutely no contribution - but as a long term P&Ber everytime I dip in here, or see a random, supportive post simply from one 'unknown' person to another it, in the good times, warms my heart, and in the bad times gives me a wee bit of help just knowing and seeing there are wonderful people out there willing to help others in their time of difficulty.

We all have our ups and downs, some of us struggle more than others, but it is truly wonderful to see people helping each other on here, supporting others when you can and being supported when you're in your own hole.

Be good to yourself folks, life's hard :) Accepting the advice, help, support etc. from others is a sign of strength, not a sign of weakness - a huge respect to those who have posted on here when they've been struggling and seeking support :)

19 hours ago, southernrover said:

Hope you are doing better today pal.

22 hours ago, southernrover said:

Every day is a new day and each day brings the chance to make some progress. 

There's no changing the past so what's happened can consigned to experience and those that love you will walk with you. 

I unfortunately had to take a period of absence from my university course nearly two months ago due to deterioration in my mental health. However, I will be back next semester to finish. It just means that I will be finishing a few months later than I otherwise would have. 

On 05/07/2024 at 23:27, southernrover said:

Do not, for one second, feel ashamed and embarrassed by how you are feeling, 

Feeling alone and struggling is the absolute fucking pits, to the point where even good advice is misses because your mind is all over the place

Im lucky (i think i am anyway) that my worst state was brought on by lockdown, i still worked but literally every day was work then home, absolutely nothing else, no variation

I lost my routine of football games midweek, trips out with my partner to things like lunch etc, i had grown so accustomed to that, that when it went away my mindset went south big time 

Took me both a while to admit my issues and then a while to sort them out but i did, it can be done, i know my issues were likely nothing compared to others, but the fact you are putting them out there is a first step and a sign that you have the strength to face them and beat them

If its any help, what i did was start focusing on small things i could fix, once one was done i moved onto another, it sounds daft but the loss of playing football, so i took up running, once i got into that i felt like i was moving in a positive direction, then focused on other small things and before i knew it i had chipped away at the weight i felt on my mind

Well, this was a sobering realisation when I clocked what I had posted.

First of all my apologies for any undue stress or concern caused. I have genuinely only just plucked up the nerve, about 36 hours after I realised, to come back and explain myself.

To cut a long story very short I have had problems with my head for years but some lifestyle changes and meds have largely constrained it to a manageable, almost unremarkable, level by and large.

This all changes when I have had a tremendous amount of alcohol, but perhaps most alarmingly in that circumstance I get no warning when or if my mood will change. Taking Friday night as the example, I was absolutely golden, despite my intake, probably until about half an hour before I posted that; and I have no idea what caused the switch to flick.

I can't lie and say it was all bollocks because it is very distinctly how I remember feeling, and is very distinctly something I have felt in the past; all the well wishes of friends and family and whatever don't penetrate at all when the darkness descends.
Needless to say I am off the drink for a while now, which will probably do the rest of my body good too; I am so fortunate to be well in my day to day life and until I can control myself better I need to stop putting myself in danger.

Apologies once again all, and thanks, genuinely, for all the replies. Once I have stopped cringing and dare to take my tail out from between my legs I will reply to them 😁

For now it is another day on the hamster wheel, in clear mind, then probably a trip onto the John Barleycorn thread tonight.

Cheers all. 

6 hours ago, southernrover said:

Well, this was a sobering realisation when I clocked what I had posted.

First of all my apologies for any undue stress or concern caused. I have genuinely only just plucked up the nerve, about 36 hours after I realised, to come back and explain myself.

To cut a long story very short I have had problems with my head for years but some lifestyle changes and meds have largely constrained it to a manageable, almost unremarkable, level by and large.

This all changes when I have had a tremendous amount of alcohol, but perhaps most alarmingly in that circumstance I get no warning when or if my mood will change. Taking Friday night as the example, I was absolutely golden, despite my intake, probably until about half an hour before I posted that; and I have no idea what caused the switch to flick.

I can't lie and say it was all bollocks because it is very distinctly how I remember feeling, and is very distinctly something I have felt in the past; all the well wishes of friends and family and whatever don't penetrate at all when the darkness descends.
Needless to say I am off the drink for a while now, which will probably do the rest of my body good too; I am so fortunate to be well in my day to day life and until I can control myself better I need to stop putting myself in danger.

Apologies once again all, and thanks, genuinely, for all the replies. Once I have stopped cringing and dare to take my tail out from between my legs I will reply to them 😁

For now it is another day on the hamster wheel, in clear mind, then probably a trip onto the John Barleycorn thread tonight.

Cheers all. 

I have not drank for over 7 years. One of the biggest reasons why I do not drink is that it takes a wrecking ball to my mental health. I could be fine and then my mood would change as if someone had flicked a switch (as you alluded to) and that change would last for days.

It's not worth the guilt, the fear, the shame and the self-loathing that it brings.

I hope you're feeling better, and all the best mate.