Depression

15 hours ago, RH33 said:

Been up all night

None my rescue medication in.

I've heard there's a shortage of medication, especially specific ones.

Such a shit situation, especially when folk might say to try alternatives (which I imagine you have as many folk who are on medication for mental health issues know what works for them).

Really sorry there's no easy solution.

2 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Was wfh yesterday and on logging in found an email my boss sent to the full team on thursday evening saying theres a team meeting at 2pm this wednesday that we're all expected to attend, no exceptions. 

I keep wondering whats going to be said at the meeting as i'm reading it as there's something big going down.  I know I'm being silly and it's probably the start of monthly team meetings that we haven't had in about 4 months. 

This on top of the sudden passing of a former colleague last week we all knew and liked has got my brain working overtime.

I bet I'll be some generic update, like you've all to use Sharepoint now for storing files.

You could try emailing a manager to ask them what the meeting is about. Could say something about wanting to prepare for the meeting!

5 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Was wfh yesterday and on logging in found an email my boss sent to the full team on thursday evening saying theres a team meeting at 2pm this wednesday that we're all expected to attend, no exceptions. 

I keep wondering whats going to be said at the meeting as i'm reading it as there's something big going down.  I know I'm being silly and it's probably the start of monthly team meetings that we haven't had in about 4 months. 

This on top of the sudden passing of a former colleague last week we all knew and liked has got my brain working overtime.

I don’t know who you work for. I hope this helps but it could be any number of things. 

It could be that your company is about to be taken over with new ownership or a new management structure is being set up. Or an important product launch. 

However when it’s an “all hands meeting” I t’s invariably a company “restructuring” exercise. That usually involves reductions in staff numbers.

The best advice is to attend. Listen but don’t overthink or react about a situation that may or not be something you can personally control. 

There is no point worrying about something that may or may not happen. 

My advice is always have an exit strategy in place with any company you work for. Make sure your CV and LinkedIn profile is current. 

What can often happen at these times is that people often volunteer to “leave” either through early retirement or they have an exit strategy in place and it suits them to take a pay off and leave. 

All this that I’m saying is just through decades of restructuring where I’ve made the decision to stay or leave based on my personal situation at that time. 

It may be none of that. Feel free to DM. The main thing I would suggest is don’t worry about a problem until you have all the facts. 

There is that, but the last 'all staff' meeting at my work was to say that the drives were being shut off and everything has to be moved to Sharepoint by some point.

There are also regular team and department meetings, pretty much all of which are massive wastes of time (I assume since I haven't been to any in years; they do send out email summaries with attachments*).

*Which are swiftly deleted.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

There is that, but the last 'all staff' meeting at my work was to say that the drives were being shut off and everything has to be moved to Sharepoint by some point.

We're going through this at the moment. An utter nightmare as most of the files I work with can't be saved directly to or opened from Sharepoint. I have to download them to my desktop, work on them, save them then move them back to Sharepoint. 

On the meeting thing @FK1Bairn try not to stress too much it might be nothing at all. It's difficult to not stress though, I do it all the time. 

Edited by Swarley

3 minutes ago, Swarley said:

We're going through this at the moment. An utter nightmare as most of the files I work with can't be saved directly to or opened from Sharepoint. I have to download them to my desktop, work on them, save them then move them back to Sharepoint. 

On the meeting thing @FK1Bairn try not to stress too much it might be nothing at all. It's difficult to not stress though, I do it all the time. 

Ha, same! I asked what happens if Microsoft decide to stop supporting Sharepoint. Blank looks was the response.

23 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Its harder said than done but where you have no influence you should have no worries. Even if the news is not ideal, making a plan to move on is empowering.

61b0453bf35a0887d2c1c0a7_2019-04-23_1809-1024x718.png

On 11/11/2023 at 15:40, DA Baracus said:

I've heard there's a shortage of medication, especially specific ones.

Such a shit situation, especially when folk might say to try alternatives (which I imagine you have as many folk who are on medication for mental health issues know what works for them).

Really sorry there's no easy solution.

I bet I'll be some generic update, like you've all to use Sharepoint now for storing files.

You could try emailing a manager to ask them what the meeting is about. Could say something about wanting to prepare for the meeting!

Emailing a manager would likely go better if there was a plausible rumour/question you could include, especially if it’s one you’re on a decent basis with. Something like “Graham, this all hands meeting isn’t a sign we’re switching over to Sharepoint like some people have said, is it?”. Fair chance you’ll get a response that’ll give you some idea what it actually is.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:02, Swarley said:

I've only quoted this comment as there are far too many supportive comments to quote however as everybody pretty much said, it might be nothing at all. But thank you to all who responded to my initial post.

Today was D-day and despite going on for just under 2 hours, there really was nothing to worry about.  A colleague asked the manager at the end of it not to send an email again summoning us all to a meeting that we were all to attend with no exception because she had also got herself stressed about it and the manager apologised for the wording. 

I need to stop automatically thinking something big is happening and just wait and see what happens because you get no extra pay or thanks for stressing

Edited by FK1Bairn

Really not sure where to put this, as this isn't a depression thing. But no other thread seems to fit. 

After my old man died, looking back I can see clearly what my reaction was. I went into some kind of overdrive work-wise. I took on every job and task going, and have pushed through tons of stuff. Things I had previously turned down as they looked like thankless slogs, I took on. I think I've just been keeping as busy as I can to keep my brain occupied. 

I'm now starting to think this wasn't the best approach. Yesterday one of my mates at work came into my office told me I looked tired, and warned me that if I carry on like I have been I'll have a collapse of some sort. He's seen a few people do what I have been and hit a wall. Then last night the wife made an off-hand comment that if I carry on as I have been, I'll end up dead pretty soon. She meant it in a joking way but there is truth in it. 

As I said, not depression but I can see that this all stemmed from March. I've done more work-wise in the last 7 or 8 months than I would normally do in a couple of years. And I have enjoyed it - taking on senior roles is a bit of a power trip, if I'm honest. 

46 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Really not sure where to put this, as this isn't a depression thing. But no other thread seems to fit. 

After my old man died, looking back I can see clearly what my reaction was. I went into some kind of overdrive work-wise. I took on every job and task going, and have pushed through tons of stuff. Things I had previously turned down as they looked like thankless slogs, I took on. I think I've just been keeping as busy as I can to keep my brain occupied. 

I'm now starting to think this wasn't the best approach. Yesterday one of my mates at work came into my office told me I looked tired, and warned me that if I carry on like I have been I'll have a collapse of some sort. He's seen a few people do what I have been and hit a wall. Then last night the wife made an off-hand comment that if I carry on as I have been, I'll end up dead pretty soon. She meant it in a joking way but there is truth in it. 

As I said, not depression but I can see that this all stemmed from March. I've done more work-wise in the last 7 or 8 months than I would normally do in a couple of years. And I have enjoyed it - taking on senior roles is a bit of a power trip, if I'm honest. 

I'm not in anyway an expert.

Burying yourself with work is a quite common coping mechanism.

Just disctracting you from the grief about your father,

Maybe allow yourself time to process his passing & listen to your wife.

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

6 hours ago, Venti said:

I'm not in anyway an expert.

Burying yourself with work is a quite common coping mechanism.

Just disctracting you from the grief about your father,

Maybe allow yourself time to process his passing & listen to your wife.

Absolutely agree with the reply. Throwing yourself into work is an automatic coping mechanism at the time that does eventually wear off. Take some time to process your grief, if your wife and friend are telling you what they did they say it from a concerned point of view. 

4 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Absolutely agree with the reply. Throwing yourself into work is an automatic coping mechanism at the time that does eventually wear off. Take some time to process your grief, if your wife and friend are telling you what they did they say it from a concerned point of view. 

I agree here. Having done something similar when my marriage broke down I thought I was fine. You don’t know you’re damaging your health because you’ve convinced yourself this is a good thing. People who know you well however see the impact on you of what you’re doing. Take a metaphorical step back and big deep breath to reflect on your health. Things like how you’re sleeping, eating, exercising etc. or has your social life changed. 
I’m not critiquing here. It’s easy for me looking in to tell you what to do but sometimes we’re our own biggest problem. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have hit a real rough point recently, probably the worst iv been in 7-8 years to be honest. 

I forgot how exhausting this whole thing can be. Mentally.Spiritually.emotionally. Physically. Sometimes just having small talk at work is an effort. I’m glad I nipped a bad relationship with alcohol in the bud a few years ago as it was a big crutch for me. 

Thankfully I’m in a much better place than I was back then through a lot of hard work. I’m going to be going back to Therapy and starting CBT in January however I feel a bit ashamed it’s came to this again and I don’t know why. 

I know these things pass and things are always magnified 10 fold and that’s the important thing to remember I feel. 

I hope everyone else is doing well at the moment  ( or as well as they can be)

Edited by Ocelot1877

42 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

I have hit a real rough point recently, probably the worst iv been in 7-8 years to be honest. 

I forgot how exhausting this whole thing can be. Mentally.Spiritually.emotionally. Physically. Sometimes just having small talk at work is an effort. I’m glad I nipped a bad relationship with alcohol in the bud a few years ago as it was a big crutch for me. 

Thankfully I’m in a much better place than I was back then through a lot of hard work. I’m going to be going back to Therapy and starting CBT in January however I feel a bit ashamed it’s came to this again and I don’t know why. 

I know these things pass and things are always magnified 10 fold and that’s the important thing to remember I feel. 

Glad to hear you’ve recognized the situation and already acted to improve it. You are spot on about the fact we always magnify the problems and worries, and it is exhausting sometimes. I’ve come through about a year and a half of slow improvement punctuated with blasts of truly exhausting bulls**t from my now ex, and it’s vital to make that time for yourself! The work small talk is something that is so minor and yet so draining sometimes simply because you want to yell at people that what they are talking about doesn’t matter, but you’re not “allowed” to say it. Of course, now and then I’ve been known to be a little too honest, and then say “I’m sorry, was that my out loud voice!”…not recommended, but sometimes cathartic…depends how strict the HR department is.

Stick in there, and give us an assessment of how CBT worked for you. Whatever you do, never feel ashamed for getting help when things come up, it’s the right thing to do. Also, this can be one of the most difficult times of the year, so make time for your own mental health a priority.

15 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Hope the therapy helps, and this thread is always a space to vent it you need.

16 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

I empathise 100% about the feeling a bit ashamed.

Embrace the fact that it's not self -pity. It's being conscience of your behaviour.

Try to not overthink things. Will probabaly lead to more anxeity.

17 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Hope you start to feel a bit better after writing it down and sharing.

I'm back to finding stupid petty things really annoying me. I've had a rant in the C**ts on the road and Infuriating Things Your Partner Does threads about stuff that really is petty and not worth getting myself into a state about but I can't help overthinking stuff. 

I've got plenty work to be getting on with but no motivation to get it done. I'm good at looking busy but if my boss was to ask me what I've done in a productive sense this week my answer would be the square root of hee haw. 

Sometimes I think its the time of year that makes me feel like this but I've got a good job that pays well and I enjoy when I've got the motivation,  a supportive partner and an amazing wee boy. I just can't stop feeling empty and fed up

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

I'm back to finding stupid petty things really annoying me. I've had a rant in the C**ts on the road and Infuriating Things Your Partner Does threads about stuff that really is petty and not worth getting myself into a state about but I can't help overthinking stuff. 

I've got plenty work to be getting on with but no motivation to get it done. I'm good at looking busy but if my boss was to ask me what I've done in a productive sense this week my answer would be the square root of hee haw. 

Sometimes I think its the time of year that makes me feel like this but I've got a good job that pays well and I enjoy when I've got the motivation,  a supportive partner and an amazing wee boy. I just can't stop feeling empty and fed up

Probably is the time of year mate, Christmas wind down man, try not to overthink it and embrace the more relaxed approach. 

I've just written a very passive aggressive to do list in the run up to Christmas for me and the missus, because between her and the two kids they are the messiest people in the world, truly world leading experts in accumulating clutter and leaving it lying around the house and it infuriates me. I've not let this go, but I'm letting lots of other things go, just gotta pick some battles and let others go. 

If you've only got c***s bad driving and petty things to worry about, you're doing a lot of other things right, take solace in that, don't be too hard on yourself for feeling fed up or can't be arsed.