NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Yeah, makes sense that if you tailor your sport to being broadcast mainly to males (and that's the reality of it) with the opportunity to lounge around the house for an entire day glued to the TV, then Sunday is the day to do it. It's the most 'family/rest and relaxation' day there is, whereas until recently many people would still have worked a full day on a Saturday, and shops being open etc means people are less likely to be spending the entire day indoors.

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Always found it a bit strange that for such a religious country, they play on Sundays, although I suppose the theory is you'd go to church in the morning. 

Other than tradition I can't really come up with a good reason for the Super Bowl being on a Sunday rather than a Saturday. 

Assume same as Italy with Calcio.

Go to Church and then straight to the game.

Another step closer, also inbuilt is a semi-guarantee the team won't move for 30 years (due to the local government and taxpayers ponying up for most of it). Suppose I should probably try and get there at some point, currently due to be open for 2026 season but will be pleasantly surprised if it's before 2028.

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

It better not have a roof.

It won't, that would have tacked another half a billion onto the cost.

Also it's still not in Buffalo, just across the road from the current stadium in Orchard Park 12 miles away from Buffalo itself. Not quite the 49ers playing about the equivalent of Glasgow - Edinburgh away from San Francisco but still quite a way compared to UK football teams.

Yeah, I'm not happy about the Bears' proposed move. Seems a bit like if Villa moved to Coventry but nobody in America seems to care. I suppose just living in a massive country means they don't consider travelling as much of a ballache as we do. Hopefully it will be more succesful than all of Clyde's relocations have been...

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I see the Raiders are turning into “The Las Vegas home for unwanted former Patriots”

Amendola on coaching staff, Hoyer as back-up to Jimmy G.

I truly de-fucking-Spain.

14 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yeah, I'm not happy about the Bears' proposed move. Seems a bit like if Villa moved to Coventry but nobody in America seems to care. I suppose just living in a massive country means they don't consider travelling as much of a ballache as we do. Hopefully it will be more succesful than all of Clyde's relocations have been...

Yeah, the sheer size of the “metropolitan area” means that it can still be considered local even if it seems miles away.

The Giants and Jets, of course, don’t even play in the same state as the city they take their name from, although I’d imagine their stadium is closer to NYC than some of the others are to their city. I’m sure there is a site that will tell me all this, so I may be back on the thread later!

ETA:

Edited by Mark Connolly

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah, the sheer size of the “metropolitan area” means that it can still be considered local even if it seems miles away.

The Giants and Jets, of course, don’t even play in the same state as the city they take their name from, although I’d imagine their stadium is closer to NYC than some of the others are to their city. I’m sure there is a site that will tell me all this, so I may be back on the thread later!

ETA:

There’s actually more stadiums in the “downtown” areas of cities than I thought there would be.

Vegas is a slightly misleading one because “downtown Las Vegas”, ie. the business district which would ordinarily be the centre of a city, is nowhere near the Vegas Strip where the majority of people will be travelling from to attend a game. Allegiant Stadium is just off the Strip behind Mandalay Bay Hotel, so it’s a lot closer to what is realistically the main congregation point in the city than is suggested here. If anything it’s “downtown” Las Vegas which is 5-10 miles away from the stadium than the other way around.

Yeah Vegas is definitely a bit misjudged on that chart, and also those distances are as the crow flies rather than on road or foot, which will add significant distance considering the shit public transport in lots of the usa. 

Lions traded Jeff Okudah to the Falcons for a 5th.

I genuinely thought he was going to be a lockdown corner in the NFL but it just hasn't happened for him at all. Still young enough that he could turn it around, and I think this might turn out to be a bit of a robbery by Atlanta in the long run.

It's interesting how little effort the Jets are putting in to supporting Aaron Rodgers. Holes at all three levels of the defense, zero spots on the OL that don't have major injury or talent concerns and a set of skill position guys that is a Garrett Wilson hamstring tweak away from being completely mediocre. Their entire plan seems to be that Rodgers will make everything better.