Reasons to be Cheerful

9 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Last day in my current job today! I've maybe oversold how much I disliked it but the conditions and changing work pattern have been really shitty at times, and it's in a call centre so you can imagine how far the pay goes in Edinburgh. 

Only 20 or so folk out of 120 in the office today, none of whom I'm particularly pally with, so no need to have an awkward night out or trip to the pub, I'm buying some cakes for folk at lunch time and pissing off at the end of my shift.

Tomorrow I'm flying over to Spain to see my folks for the first time since February, booked the tickets two minutes after they changed the recommendations this week. I know some folk are still rightly sceptical about travelling, and I wouldn't be going if it wasn't my parents. But they're in the middle of nowhere so apart from maybe a meal out or two in the village, we'll be keeping ourselves to ourselves anyway. It's literally just the flight/airport experience I'm worried about.

Anyway, 6 days of beautiful weather, walking and running, reading and sitting about the pool, and eating and drinking my weight while spending time with my parents and maybe my uncle and a couple of their close friends is a perfect way to chill out before starting a new job that I'm really excited about.   

If ever there was a fitting post for this thread, this is it! You actually cheered me up just reading it.

Enjoy it pal.

Edited by jimbaxters

8 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

Maybe its the lone wolf in me, but when I played football as a youngster as long as I won my personal battles I couldn't give a toss the score

I'm 47 and by far the oldest in the team but can still hold my own, I'm definitely in the Autumn of my illustrious football career😁 it's all about the personal battles for me. 

13 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

I'm 47 and by far the oldest in the team but can still hold my own, I'm definitely in the Autumn of my illustrious football career😁 it's all about the personal battles for me. 

Lets be honest as well that guy didn't daunder home going " nice win" probably cursing the old codger who done him 3 times 👍

17 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

Lets be honest as well that guy didn't daunder home going " nice win" probably cursing the old codger who done him 3 times 👍

He came up to me at the end of the game and said the first two were nice but the third one was painful, to be fair the Dutch are much taller than me so there's plenty of room to aim for when it comes to nutmegs

I nutmegged the same guy three times during our 6v6 game last night, we lost 10-7 but it felt like a victory to me. 
Shameful that rickets still hasn't been stamped out in the modern age.

The SFA are doing a countdown of the Top 50 Scotland players on their Facebook page.

It's quite amusing to see the amount of Yer Das who are absolutely SEETHING that modern players, especially women, are in the top 50.

Lovely stuff.

They aren't seriously trying to include men from a team that has failed to qualify for any international finals tournament (unlike Albania, Bosnia, Iceland, Latvia, Hungary, TFS, Wales etc.) since the millennium though? 

I mean I'm fully behind the 'older football was shite football' verdict but the Scotland men's national team is the proverbial exception that proves the general rule. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

They aren't seriously trying to include men from a team that has failed to qualify for any international finals tournament (unlike Albania, Bosnia, Iceland, Latvia, Hungary, TFS, Wales etc.) since the millennium though? 

I mean I'm fully behind the 'older football was shite football' verdict but the Scotland men's national team is the proverbial exception that proves the general rule. 

There have been quite a few modern players aye. Andy Robertson has just popped in at number 25 (which is admittedly bizarre) - I just think it's because it's the results of online poll that the majority of folk voting will be younger people who won't have been standing at Hampden 30 or 40 (or longer) years ago.

Technically Dalglish, Miller and McLeish were still Scotland caps in my lifetime but I couldn't ever vote for them as I have no memory of them.

It's more the reaction of Yer Das I find amusing rather than the polls themselves. The bitterness when a woman is included is pretty tragic.

8 hours ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

Maybe its the lone wolf in me, but when I played football as a youngster as long as I won my personal battles I couldn't give a toss the score

Disgusting attitude IMO.

There have been quite a few modern players aye. Andy Robertson has just popped in at number 25 (which is admittedly bizarre) - I just think it's because it's the results of online poll that the majority of folk voting will be younger people who won't have been standing at Hampden 30 or 40 (or longer) years ago.
Technically Dalglish, Miller and McLeish were still Scotland caps in my lifetime but I couldn't ever vote for them as I have no memory of them.
It's more the reaction of Yer Das I find amusing rather than the polls themselves. The bitterness when a woman is included is pretty tragic.

There was a similar one for all time scouse-victim FC
Thought some of the choices were very short-sighted/short-term it’s.

Trent Alexander-Arnold as your “best-ever” RB?
Suarez up front?
No Kevin Keegan or Ian Rush?
No Alan Hans...........well, ok!

Apart from Kenny and Clemence it seems no one looks back further than 5 years!

Yes, I know, I’m “yer Da”

1 minute ago, Raidernation said:

There was a similar one for all time scouse-victim FC
Thought some of the choices were very short-sighted/short-term it’s.

Trent Alexander-Arnold as your “best-ever” RB?
Suarez up front?
No Kevin Keegan or Ian Rush?
No Alan Hans...........well, ok!

Apart from Kenny and Clemence it seems no one looks back further than 5 years!

Yes, I know, I’m “yer Da”

Well, modern football is much, much better than old football, so it stands to reason that modern players would feature in these things more than older players.

How many of us are familiar with players from before we were born? Much less in a position to compare them to today's players. It stands to reason that most people under 40 aren't going to be voting for the Wembley Wizards. (Who they? - Ed.)

Just now, Shotgun said:

How many of us are familiar with players from before we were born? Much less in a position to compare them to today's players. It stands to reason that most people under 40 aren't going to be voting for the Wembley Wizards. (Who they? - Ed.)

Comparing players from different eras is pretty pointless tbh.

The game has changed and evolved.  If asking people in the 1970s  they would be ignoring the greats of the 30s etc.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

Comparing players from different eras is pretty pointless tbh.

The game has changed and evolved.  If asking people in the 1970s  they would be ignoring the greats of the 30s etc.

Very much so.

That said; it's kinda fun to wonder how Ronaldo would get on if he'd to play on one of those mudswamps we Yer Da's grew up with. Or if Messi knew there was a good chance Norman Hunter would clatter him whenever he got the ball. Or conversely, what Denis Law or Kenny Dalglish would achieve on today's pitches, with a modern training regime. I like to speculate how Georgie Best's career might've been different had he been at Man United under Alex Ferguson. Would he have been shipped off to another club early on, or would he perhaps not have gone down the path of self-destruction? Who knows. 

In my not at all humble opinion though; football is much better today.