The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

A well-oiled 6/10 for Monday, following a pub quiz double header. 

Of the the three quizzes I've done tonight, the Aussie one was the worst by far, even taking into account a duff question from the QM in the first quiz of the night (more on that later). 

Who won the Victorian Open golf championship? I imagine there must be several people who care about that one, though none with northern hemisphere post codes. Triple whammy of Young people's music, Aussie sport and Aussie politics. Wonderful. Knew five, scored six. Guessometer as dysfunctional as usual, but Couldntgiveatossometer functioning nicely, despite the increased workload.

Anyway, on the subject of quizzes that don't involve making random guesses concerning the minor accomplishments of antipodean sportspeople: Got asked in a pub quiz tonight: Which is longest - a) The Trans-Siberian railway b) The radius of the Moon c) The Great Wall of China. Result! Got asked the length of the Great Wall of China in a tiebreak on P&B recently. My guess then was 6.5k miles or so. I was out by more than the same distance again, but the fact that the Wall stretched for over 13,000 miles was now indelibly imprinted on my memory. So, I confidently convinced my skeptical team mates to reject the Trans-Siberian railway, which we were reasonably sure could only stretch for a party 6,000 miles or so. And the radius of the moon wasn't even an option worth considering. And then the results were read out. The 'longest' of the three options was ..... The Trans-Siberian Railway at just over 6,000 miles! 

I guess the QM was just jumping on the 'alternative facts' bandwagon. Fortunately we still won the quiz.

Edited by Frankie S

12 hours ago, eckthearab said:

And also a huge thanks tongue Cardinal for supplying the cup final quizzes!!

And that's it for February but the Diddly Dee Jamjar Trophy will be back next month and the first round draw will take place on Wednesday night.

So it's goodbye from me, and it's goodnight from him, goodnight.

:lol:

A well-oiled 6/10 for Monday, following a pub quiz double header. 

Of the the three quizzes I've done tonight, the Aussie one was the worst by far, even taking into account a duff question from the QM in the first quiz of the night (more on that later). 

Who won the Victorian Open golf championship? I imagine there must be several people who care about that one, though none with northern hemisphere post codes. Triple whammy of Young people's music, Aussie sport and Aussie politics. Wonderful. Knew five, scored six. Guessometer as dysfunctional as usual, but Couldntgiveatossometer functioning nicely, despite the increased workload.

Anyway, on the subject of quizzes that don't involve making random guesses concerning the minor accomplishments of antipodean sportspeople: Got asked in a pub quiz tonight: Which is longest - a) The Trans-Siberian railway b) The radius of the Moon c) The Great Wall of China. Result! Got asked the length of the Great Wall of China in a tiebreak on P&B recently. My guess then was 6.5k miles or so. I was out by more than the same distance again, but the fact that the Wall stretched for over 13,000 miles was now indelibly imprinted on my memory. So, I confidently convinced my skeptical team mates to reject the Trans-Siberian railway, which we were reasonably sure could only stretch for a party 6,000 miles or so. And the radius of the moon wasn't even an option worth considering. And then the results were read out. The 'longest' of the three options was ..... The Trans-Siberian Railway at just over 6,000 miles! 

I guess the QM was just jumping on the 'alternative facts' bandwagon. Fortunately we still won the quiz.

I hope you took issue with this incorrect answer at the quiz? The original part of the wall built for the Ming dynasty was approx. 5000 miles. They have since discovered many more parts which is why the distance has increased to just over 13,000 miles long. I hope the point dropped didnt cost you the win.

ETA I noticed you still won [emoji6]

Back in the top flight, knew Border and Flag, worked out angle and educated guess on Politician. 4/10 which doesn't seem as bad as first thought going by the scores put up so far. 

So a new week, a new hope. Re: Frankie's post... this was the main reason I volunteered to create the quiz each day. However, a majority of people on the people here voted to stay with the Aussie quiz (and it wasn't just the Aussie-based people!) ... you mentioned that you're in a couple of online quiz league type things .. do they not have a daily quiz we could use? Regardless, I hope we don't end up with a PDC / BDO type split. 

Anyway, in the Premiership, WRK re-assumes his pole position after another fine cup victory. Somehow I find myself in 2nd with AFJ though I'm sure that won't last. As Tynieness mentioned, he's Leicestered it. Hopefully "To Leicester it" will enter the lexicon much the same as "To Hibs it". 

Position Team Trophy Cabinet Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Total
1 WhiteRoseKillie 10x© 3x② 8         8
2 Cardinal Richelieu 1xBZ 7         7
3 Audaces Fortuna Juvat 2x② 7         7
4 Frankie S 1x© 1x② 6         6
5 WILLIEA 1x© 6         6
6 Eckthearab 6x② 1xBZ 6         6
7 Deej 1x© 4x② 1xBZ 5         5
8 Arabdownunder 3x© 1x② 4         4
9 gkneil   4         4
10 Jagfox99 2xBZ 4         4
11 Scotfree   3         3
12 Ross.   3         3
13 Leeds Saint 1x© 2x② 3         3
14 Tynieness 1x© 1x② 1xBZ 1         1
15 The_Kincardine             0
16 Alang1993 6x© 3x② 1xBZ           0

In the Beazer League, Cowden0 is not letting his poor play-off performance affect his league form. Livi Lion is also contention to add a bit of silverware to his cabinet. Welcome to newcomer Pleslie99 ... today's quiz was a bit of a stinker so don't be disillusioned with your 3!

Position Team Trophy Cabinet Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Total
1 Cowden0 1xBZ 6         6
2 Livi Lion   6         6
3 Eednud 4x② 1xBZ 5         5
4 Welshbairn   5         5
5 Swarley   5         5
6 Jacksgranda   5         5
7 Supermik   5         5
8 Marr1   5         5
9 Peasy23   4         4
10 Dee Man   4         4
11 BigBo10   4         4