The Alloa Athletic Thread

17 minutes ago, printer said:

Yeah, neither do I. He can be frustrating at times (a bit greedy, loses the ball too often), but if he can get amongst the goals again then he can contribute well enough.

That was the most frustrating thing for me to his game, he would hold onto the ball too long and lose possession frequently. I think Boyd was okay and we could certainly do a lot worse- but although my Cawley comparison was in jest, it does hold some merit.

I think the Barrys boy thing arises from that day Magic Hat referenced at Dumbarton. I don't think it's a huge deal he didn't at least acknowledge the ovation he got, but it was a bit weird he seemed to deliberately ignore it. Might have just been he was annoyed he was subbed off. 

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

That was the most frustrating thing for me to his game, he would hold onto the ball too long and lose possession frequently. I think Boyd was okay and we could certainly do a lot worse- but although my Cawley comparison was in jest, it does hold some merit.

I think the Barrys boy thing arises from that day Magic Hat referenced at Dumbarton. I don't think it's a huge deal he didn't at least acknowledge the ovation he got, but it was a bit weird he seemed to deliberately ignore it. Might have just been he was annoyed he was subbed off. 

Seems a bit of a weak reason for him being "dubbed" "Barry's boy" and then still holding that against him IMO. 

Football fans can be weird, I guess.

3 hours ago, printer said:

Still struggling to see what the evidence is for this opinion.

For me it was based on him playing every week, and seldom being subbed off, in front of better players (mainly Kevin Cawley) and his reaction at the Dumbarton (?) game after Ferguson was sacked. Tenuous perhaps, but that's true of an awful lot of opinions that we form about the goings on at football teams 

2 hours ago, Dink said:

For me it was based on him playing every week, and seldom being subbed off, in front of better players (mainly Kevin Cawley) and his reaction at the Dumbarton (?) game after Ferguson was sacked. Tenuous perhaps, but that's true of an awful lot of opinions that we form about the goings on at football teams 

Certainly in the Falkirk thread.

Don't remember Ferguson being sacked. Think he just walked away.

Seen Bartley has been in the press denying they are in for Church. Would be great if we can keep him for another year but his performances this season merit another go at full time football for him.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Seen Bartley has been in the press denying they are in for Church. Would be great if we can keep him for another year but his performances this season merit another go at full time football for him.

There's a disturbing lack of rumours going around right now. Bartley being a spoil sport.

See that Jon Robertson has basically confirmed on instagram that he’ll be leaving. Been a fantastic Alloa player and one of my favourites from the past decade, a true unsung hero who does a lot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed at times. Would hope that him leaving is his choice and not us getting rid as despite last season not being his best, he’s still more than capable of being a starter in a promotion chasing side. Best of luck to him, sure he’ll be a success wherever he goes.

Edited by AlloaAdam

1 hour ago, AlloaAdam said:

See that Jon Robertson has basically confirmed on instagram that he’ll be leaving. Been a fantastic Alloa player and one of my favourites from the past decade, a true unsung hero who does a lot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed at times. Would hope that him leaving is his choice and not us getting rid as despite last season not being his best, he’s still more than capable of being a starter in a promotion chasing side. Best of luck to him, sure he’ll be a success wherever he goes.

Pretty sure Robbo would have stayed if offered a reasonable deal, so I'm assuming he hasn't.

If he is indeed leaving then it will be sad to see him go.

He was mucked about a bit positionally in his seven(?) years at the club, but always just got on with it wherever he was picked. A really good footballer and terrific servant.

He'll certainly not be short of offers and I would expect him to get a deal with another league one club.

Best of luck for the future, Robbo!

Edited by printer

shame about robbo, sounds like he didnt get a deal then, or maybe its personal

As for the opinion on Boyd , its not  "weird" perceiving someone's behaviour differently from  another .

I'm not disappointed to see MacIver away ..a waste of a jersey since Christmas. 

I said coming back from Hamilton that we need to get rid of him . I have said before on here ,last season when Sammon wasn't on it we didn't carry much of a goal threat . Not losing sleep over that one and perhaps shows where Falkirk are in terms of signing players 

Jon Robertson has been a terrific servant for us however If Jon is leaving I hope John Robertson is arriving. Always been really impressed when  I’ve seen him this season. 

Edited by Jagwasp

I'll also be sad to see Jon Robertson go if that is indeed the case. As printer said, Robbo spent a lot of time over the years covering away from his favoured position yet was always absolutely solid. Indeed, he was a very good right-back in the Championship, not bad for a man who was probably at his best as a box to box centre mid. Believe he often did this coming off shifts which makes it all the more impressive. That play-off goal against Airdrie stands out but as others have said he did so much other good work that wasn't so obvious but just as important. The injuries in the recent play-offs made it pretty much mission impossible but I did think in those crazy few minutes at Hamilton that having someone like Robbo in the middle of the park might have given us a chance to steady the ship. 

We were lucky to have him so long and I'm sure he still had more to offer. Good luck Robbo, going to be a very good signing for someone. 

Edited by Waspie

Aw, Robbo's away? Just had a shock when I saw he's 34; I still tend to think of him as one of the younger players.

I seem to remember folk being a bit on the fence to start with, as he was basically Holmer's backup, but he was always a handy utility player and was as good as anyone else when he became the first choice in that position.

Unless Arbroath are in the market, he'll be playing against us next season, won't he?  :rolleyes:

Jon leaving is down to being released by the manager.He is pretty gutted due to absolutely loving his time at Alloa but that’s what happens in football.In fairness to Brian Rice I think the fact that Jon misses training sessions due to his shifts have played a part in his decision.Probably the same with Durnan.Jon trains religiously on his own so no fitness problems but missing shape and tactic sessions have probably caught up with him.It’s the managers head on the chopping block if it goes wrong and he has to make decisions where we deal in opinions.All the best to everyone at Alloa and to all the supporters who made Jon’s time there so special.

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Mark Durnan, my friends, how did he do for you guys?

Was player of the year in his first season, solid defensively and a real threat at set pieces. This last season has been a real strange one. 

He missed a big chunk of the season due to work commitments and then struggled to get a run of games when he came back. When he did play I thought he looked decent enough, if not quite at the level he was the previous season.

Had a couple of stinkers where you could say he maybe didn’t look interested (could be understandable given his lack of games I guess) and think he was hooked at halftime on 1 or 2 occasions. Appears to have been a bit of an ignominious end to the season unfortunately so always looked like he would be leaving. 

Would I have kept him? On balance possibly yes, but I think that would be more because I think there will be quite a bit of turnover at the back for us next season more so than for what he brought this year. 

ETA - would be surprised if he’s not a stand out centre half in league 2 to be fair. 

Edited by Kevchenko