The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Shame to see Niall gone and much as it may go against the grain I'm sad to see Jack go. Hope Cammy Smith goes onto good things too as he's a great lad with a good attitude to the game.

Hope to see Ryan Christie back soon.

The rest are generally very meh. Big rebuilding job this summer for Del and Doc.

Can't believe we managed to sign Cammy, I knew chances of the Dons keeping him on were slim but he's too good for this league.

Bit raw but I can't remember seeing a player give so much effort non stop for 90 minutes in a game every week.

If he can add more goals and a bit more of a cutting edge he'll be a gem and get a move to a much bigger club, maybe even end up back at Pittodrie.

Bye bye Ryan, hope you've got them to pay all 3 years up front, only way you're likely to get it all.

Bit of a strange move (h)unless all he's after is filthy lucre, I hope he enjoys his career looking up at the Dons!

Numpty!

Daily Mail (I know, I know) reporting that Celtic have 'made their move' for Hayes and that they are hoping to agree a deal this weekend. The figure being quoted is £1.2M. 

We could be in for a long summer. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'm on the one hand worried about next season, and on the other just a wee bit excited. For the first time in 4 years or maybe even more, we've got a real rebuilding process in hand.

Can't shake the feeling though that another season with this team (plus a couple of additions), could have seen us kick on even further.

Never mind. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

Evening Express running with the Hayes story as well. Incredible progression for the guy. He was flying with us before he moved to you lot and since then he's kicked on even more. Quite an incredible transformation in Hayes.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/hayes-given-permission-move-celtic-dons-set-1m-price-tag/?utm_content=buffer2a660&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The biggest disappointment is that you haven't managed to sting Sevco for some £££ for Jack imo.

Jack was free to do what he wanted but you can't help notice the difference between him and Hayes signing an extension in January with a view to us getting money in the summer.

Yeah, I know he's 29 but £1.2m is somewhat disappointing when you consider just how good he is.

I'm feeling in utter disarray at the moment, desperate for McInnes to stay and guide us through this. Otherwise I think we're a little bit fucked.

£1.2 million is fine if we get Christie

Complete boot in the balls otherwise 

However always best to take press quoted fees with a pinch of salt 

One of the best parts about Mcinnes's time at Pittodrie has been how stable the squad has been. Steady performances every year, players signed up well in advance of contracts expiring, new signings lined-up in private and only announced once completed. It made the transfer windows pretty stress free and Mcinnes deserves huge credit for getting a good group together and keeping them happy enough to stick around.

Of course, eventually that group of players was going to split apart:

McGinn only has this last chance to get a decent deal before his career starts winding down. Pawlett peaked several years ago and really needed to move to get more football. Taylor was excellent on a good day and awful on a bad day and you never really knew what you were going to get. Probably easy enough to get a similar player in to replace him.

Mcinnes talked Jack into staying a couple of years back when he could have been away. Moved him into midfield and hes performed well since then but also hasn't really developed as we'd hoped. Pretty much still the same player he was 3 years ago. He's made an arse of his departure and i'm surprised he didn't have better options than Rangers, but i don't have the same anger other Dons fans seem to about him.

Hayes moving would be a big blow, but he's given us his best seasons already. You'd expect him to be excellent for the remainder of his contract, but given how reliant he is on his speed, he's one bad hamstring injury away from being bang-average. Can't imagine Aberdeen have turned down many bids of over £1 million before, so I just hope replacements are being identified alongside any sale.

Mcinnes would be a bigger loss than any of the players above. Can't imagine who could come in and be capable of keeping up the same standards. He's done everything we could have hoped for (short of winning another cup) so if he decides its time to move on i think he deserves to look at what options are out there and I just hope that the squad doesn't fall apart completely in the year after he goes.

One of the best parts about Mcinnes's time at Pittodrie has been how stable the squad has been. Steady performances every year, players signed up well in advance of contracts expiring, new signings lined-up in private and only announced once completed. It made the transfer windows pretty stress free and Mcinnes deserves huge credit for getting a good group together and keeping them happy enough to stick around.
Of course, eventually that group of players was going to split apart:
McGinn only has this last chance to get a decent deal before his career starts winding down. Pawlett peaked several years ago and really needed to move to get more football. Taylor was excellent on a good day and awful on a bad day and you never really knew what you were going to get. Probably easy enough to get a similar player in to replace him.
Mcinnes talked Jack into staying a couple of years back when he could have been away. Moved him into midfield and hes performed well since then but also hasn't really developed as we'd hoped. Pretty much still the same player he was 3 years ago. He's made an arse of his departure and i'm surprised he didn't have better options than Rangers, but i don't have the same anger other Dons fans seem to about him.
Hayes moving would be a big blow, but he's given us his best seasons already. You'd expect him to be excellent for the remainder of his contract, but given how reliant he is on his speed, he's one bad hamstring injury away from being bang-average. Can't imagine Aberdeen have turned down many bids of over £1 million before, so I just hope replacements are being identified alongside any sale.
Mcinnes would be a bigger loss than any of the players above. Can't imagine who could come in and be capable of keeping up the same standards. He's done everything we could have hoped for (short of winning another cup) so if he decides its time to move on i think he deserves to look at what options are out there and I just hope that the squad doesn't fall apart completely in the year after he goes.

Agree with all that. Although I am angry at Ryan jack.

Mcinnes would be by far the biggest loss IMO. He will leave eventually and I hope he goes on to manage at a very high level but now is the worst possible time as the squad breaks up. We need him in to rebuild.

Everything would seem less disastrous if we knew the manager was staying.

I think there is plenty of players about which are McInnis like signings who could come in and do a very good job for us. Greg Stewart would be a perfect type of player to replace McGinn, a winger come striker who has proved himself at this level.  Obviously getting Christie would be fantastic, it would be nice to see them show some ambition to maintain our levels by spending cash on some real quality.

I think we should test County’s metal and try and go after Boyce.

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Jack was free to do what he wanted but you can't help notice the difference between him and Hayes signing an extension in January with a view to us getting money in the summer.

Yeah. But it's much more fun when you sell them a player that turns out to be shite.

Everyone is on holiday at the moment, don't think we'll get a clear indication of what's happening until the tail end of next week