The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 10/03/2024 at 21:47, djchapsticks said:

The rumour apparently all stemmed from the fact that he was at St. Mirren vs Aberdeen last Saturday but McMenamin and Boyd-Munce were both on the park so it's just as likely he was looking at them for the friendly squads and folk have put two and two together.

According to O'Neill himself, this is exactly what has happened as he's having a go at the Scottish press today for doing so.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-oneill-responds-rumours-linking-28820594

Edited by djchapsticks

6 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Robson constructed a side to be effective at 'transition'' in bigger games.  Probably the main reason our European performances in particular were credible.

This took no account that 75% of our fixtures are against jobbers in our league who all set up fairly similarly - but certainly designed to pick off sides with ideas above their station (or our wage level).

Actually found Dundee's play last night the most impressive and enterprising of all of them - more off the cuff and a little less formulaic. 

Some of us said that would be the case after Livi away on the first day 🙂

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

According to O'Neill himself, this is exactly what has happened as he's having a go at the Scottish press today for doing so.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-oneill-responds-rumours-linking-28820594

It didn't start with the media.

Media got a hold of it after a million messages went about on Saturday.

I’m totally in agreement with the ‘sack the board’ chants last night. Something has to change there.

I was very uncomfortable with the abuse at the players though, who sheepishly came over to applaud the fans and got ‘you’re not fit to wear the shirt’ blasted straight at them. 
These are the players we have until the summer, like it or not. There’s a league place to preserve and a cup semi to go for, it’s time to rally round and not spit the dummy. It’s totally counter productive and making things worse. Have to work with what you have got so non point complains about what we have and all pull together to make the best of it possible. 

I hear regularly that we are such a great travelling support etc. Well it’s time to show it for real when the going has got tough. 

1 hour ago, 1GregStewart said:

I’m totally in agreement with the ‘sack the board’ chants last night. Something has to change there.

I was very uncomfortable with the abuse at the players though, who sheepishly came over to applaud the fans and got ‘you’re not fit to wear the shirt’ blasted straight at them. 
These are the players we have until the summer, like it or not. There’s a league place to preserve and a cup semi to go for, it’s time to rally round and not spit the dummy. It’s totally counter productive and making things worse. Have to work with what you have got so non point complains about what we have and all pull together to make the best of it possible. 

I hear regularly that we are such a great travelling support etc. Well it’s time to show it for real when the going has got tough. 

I agree up to a point, but I'd like to know whose idea it was for the players to go to applaud the fans after a very poor performance and result.  They did the same against St Johnstone at home. I get the reasoning behind it, shows the fans the players still care, but the inevitable outcome is the players get abused and humiliated, which must do their confidence no good and lessen their affection for the club's support.   However well intentioned its a crass idea. Let's get back to trooping off the park with your tail between your legs after a bad result and letting management deal with the supporters' frustration.

Edited by Game of throw-ins

14 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

How would sacking the board work?  Does Cormack sack himself?

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

How would sacking the board work?  Does Cormack sack himself?

Well cormack could sack board members I’m pretty sure…

Anyway, this seemed a flippant response to what was a fair point, which ultimately is that the anger should be aimed at more than just the current incumbent in the dugout or the current players (although I’d say the players deserve more stick than he suggests). 

The governance of the football department has been self defeating for years now, something which they’ve effectively admitted by bringing in this external review. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well cormack could sack board members I’m pretty sure…

Anyway, this seemed a flippant response to what was a fair point, which ultimately is that the anger should be aimed at more than just the current incumbent in the dugout or the current players (although I’d say the players deserve more stick than he suggests). 

The governance of the football department has been self defeating for years now, something which they’ve effectively admitted by bringing in this external review. 

Not intended to be flippant - I just find it a daft chant when it's clear that Cormack has such an overriding influence on everything, and that there are no obvious alternatives - no Arab sheikhs or a consortium of local money men from Rubislaw Den queuing down Pittodrie Street.

His investment/controlling interest gives him every right to run things as he sees fit, and he is clearly astute enough to have been hugely successful in his business life (with a lot more wealth to come on back of dental software if rumours are to be believed). However, it is evident that unless he changes his own attitude to running a football club and dealing with people within it, that him sacking other board members will be minor window dressing.

"Sack the board" and "You're not fit to wear the shirt" are fairly dull and standard things for angry fans to chant anyway. 

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

Whilst we're going through a slump, it brings me immense pleasure to see how many fans from other clubs despise us!

I don’t. I genuinely like Aberdeen, Hibs, Partick Thistle and Morton. I have nothing against Dundee, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Dundee United, or any number of others. I’m not fussed on Hearts. They go from not bothering me to being arseholes at the flick of a switch. I don’t like Livingston. From purely reasons of self-interest, I could do without Ross County & ICT. Motherwell are let down by arsewipe ‘Bois’, but they’re not alone. I’m sure I have a view on a couple of clubs in Glasgow. Will have a think about that.

There you go, and I wouldn’t be too bothered if a lot of folk on here didn’t care much for the team I support. As it should be. Within reason.  😀

Edited by pozbaird

@betting competition

I concur with @pozbaird.

I have zero problems with any non-OF team or support. I enjoy the banter between fans at matches and in pubs pre and post match. Win lose or draw we can all be proud that we don’t support the arse cheeks who revel in sectarian bile.

If Hearts, Hibs, Killie, Motherwell or St Mirren were down in your current position they too would be on the receiving end of similar banter. 

Because it’s highly improbable that you should be down so low in the league (due to your far greater budget in comparison to other diddy clubs) it does attract slightly more attention. 

I personally don’t think you will go down this year. 

There is something to be said for the arrogance of certain supports. 

Aberdeen are afflicted by this - about their city (which is like everywhere in Scoltland, a shitehole with nice bits here and there) and their football club. It’s trivial things but you’ll often hear things like “no disrespect to *average Premiership club* but we should be expecting 3 points when we go to their ground/shouldnt be dropping points at home to them”

This was mentioned by the AFC TV commentators during our last visit to Pittodrie in a fixture I and most of Scotland made Dundee favourites for pre match. 

It’s a by-product of relatively recent success to be fair  - but it often takes these fan bases (certainly a large portion of them) a lot longer to realise quite how dire they are so it’s quite funny to watch (see the game in hand patter) - DUFC are a classic example of this and that’s why so many enjoy their hilarious demise. 

The Scottish top flight is tight enough these days that it takes 1 incompetent idiot in charge of your club and you can go from clear in 3rd one season to bottom 3 or 4 very easily over the next season or 2. 

Aberdeen appear to have welcomed one of the most idiotic owners (football side wise) for a long time. I saw a starting XI of values somewhere up the thread and to me that sums up Aberdeen as a club at the moment - it’s genuine laughing stock material and demonstrates a huge lack of awareness on the boards part.

I’m 100% certain Not many Dons fans care about the culture or the holistic approach to key strategic decisions taken by the CEO. They want football people that know what they are doing making the key footballing decisions. By all means get the “culture” right and do all that good business stuff - but do it internally and report on the results in your shareholder comms. 

ETA - Most championship clubs will see Dundee fans as arrogant as we continually seem to get relegated there and then expect to win it without much issue - spoiler - we never do and they love it 

Edited by Der Panzer

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

Whilst we're going through a slump, it brings me immense pleasure to see how many fans from other clubs despise us!

Conversely, we also seem to be attracting every fan of every other club onto this thread to tell us how clued up they are on us being shite. 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Conversely, we also seem to be attracting every fan of every other club onto this thread to tell us how clued up they are on us being shite. 

You don't need to be particularly clued up to appreciate that Aberdeen are shite. 

1 hour ago, Der Panzer said:

There is something to be said for the arrogance of certain supports. 

Agree the dons fans have a chip on their shoulder. I'd have us just behind the ugly sisters and the jambos for arrogance. When we are on an upswing of form we probably overtake the jambos, and when we are on a downswing like just now we are still arrogant but it mostly comes out as anger instead.

33 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Don't ask us - check the SIMD map - it would suggest more 'nice bits' than some

image.thumb.png.550cf58c9a7062054ebffe84df0c74da.png

I can’t believe the timing of this but just when Dons fans and Aberdonians in general thought things couldn’t get any worse…

IMG_0770.jpeg

Let’s be honest, no-one, not one single support of any football club in Scotland, comes close to the arrogance of the uglies. None. They lose a couple of games and the bedsheets get painted in protest. Of course, it’s not just the arrogance, it’s accompanied by unhealthy doses of paranoia and outright sectarianism. A heady mix.

Anyway, Aberdeen, aye, nice enough city… but I like Dundee better. Apologies Dandies. 😄

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Most fans in any league these days will probably go by size of playing budget as their 'place' and what constitutes parity, success or underachievement.

Generally that would tell us that fans of the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen would always feel they should be in the European positions in the league and in the latter stages of cups.

Clearly football is never that straightforward and as stated before, a side in our league on an average wage of £3K a week trying to implement some kind of 'philosophy' to play open entertaining football, is probably 80% likely to fail and see us picked off like carcasses by well-coached sides that play to their strengths.

Regarding Dundee FC, there has been several dandies (podcasts/forums etc), including myself, that have acknowledged they looked a really good side the other night.  

As for the city - I do actually like it, provided you stay within about 3 or 4 streets from the Tay !

I wasn't referring to our game at all - I think reality has well and truly sunk in now and most Dons (including yourself) were very gracious in defeat on Wednesday. 

But when it’s going shite for St Mirren, Dundee, Motherwell et al the fans are a bit quicker to accept they are in for a rough ride than the Edinburgh/Dandies/DABs - that little extended window is the sweet spot where the entitlement seeps out - and it’s quite enjoyable as a neutral.

I should say that I don’t have anything against Aberdeen (city or club) or its fans - always got more respect for people that support their local team rather then opting for an arse cheek - I’m just giving my unwanted amateur analysis on why the vultures are circling because it’s Friday and I couldn’t get myself motivated to do any work so was procrastinating.