The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Exactly this. McKenna was thrown in out of necessity, rather than choice. 

During his tenure, McInnes has brought through McKenna. That’s it.

Meanwhile, he has signed - 

Calvin Zola, Callum Morris, Alan Tate, Chidi Nwakali, Joeseph Parker, Nicky Maynard, Miles Storey, Adam Collin, Joe Nuttall, Donervon Daniels, Andrew Driver and David Goodwillie.

A horrific waste of jerseys/money.

To counter, I will add that the signings of -

Logan, Rooney,  McLean, Shinnie,  Lewis, Church,  Stockley, Christie, Stewart, GMS

- were good ones and improved the team/squad.

Surely, surely there’s at least one more of our youth players that could fit into our team. Surely.

At least you was a little positive near the end lol - if you are going to add a few loan duff signings then better add Maddison, Hector, Ward to the good signings. I would also add Robson and Flood to the good signings.

There is also plenty donkeys we have signed too which you haven't mentioned Wylde, Tate, Weaver,  Monakana,  McLaughlin, Burns. 

The manager is maybe hit and miss on the transfer market but we can't complain about the league position in the last 5 seasons while the top players we are going for the standard of player is a lot better than it was before he come in. 

Edited by betting competition

41 minutes ago, betting competition said:

At least you was a little positive near the end lol - if you are going to add a few loan duff signings then better add Maddison, Hector, Ward to the good signings. I would also add Robson and Flood to the good signings.

There is also plenty donkeys we have signed too which you haven't mentioned Wylde, Tate, Weaver,  Monakana,  McLaughlin, Burns. 

The manager is maybe hit and miss on the transfer market but we can't complain about the league position in the last 5 seasons while the top players we are going for the standard of player is a lot better than it was before he come in. 

Robson and Flood both signed by Craig Brown, if I’m not mistake .

I can only think of Bain as being a young player who wasn't given adequate chances and who has maybe shown he should have been.

Arguably Cammy Smith, but he would have been a squad player here.

I, and plenty others, thought that Nicky Low and Craig Storie would make the breakthrough. Both have failed to prove McInnes wrong.

Some of his signings have been baffling though. I suspect that some are favours for agents or his "network".

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can only think of Bain as being a young player who wasn't given adequate chances and who has maybe shown he should have been.

I, and plenty others, thought that Nicky Low and Craig Storie would make the breakthrough. Both have failed to prove McInnes wrong.

Some of his signings have been baffling though. I suspect that some are favours for agents or his "network".

I think Shaughnessy could have done a job if he'd been given a chance at centre half rather than right back but that's very much said with the benefit of hindsight. Didn't think he was that great at the time but he seems to have done a decent job at St. Johnstone. No worse than a lot of defenders we've had at least.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Who does Storie play for? Is it a senior league team? 

Shankland, Smith and Wright may prove themselves yet you never know. Personally I think DM has called it right.

From the outside your youth players fail to make it because they never get a run of games at this level. Shaughnessy was helluva raw when we signed him, but within six months looked comfortable. 

Can't help but feel game time McInnes has given to folk like Woodman, Ball, Nwakwli (sp?), and probably more, could easily have went to younger players instead. Even Considine should've been dropped every so often so Harvie could've improved, especially after looking superb in the Championship. There's absolutely zero chance he'd have played McKenna if he'd managed to sign another centre half last summer. 

Fwiw he had similar issues with us in terms of bringing players through, it was only through absolute necessity, when there was literally no other option, that he'd play youngsters. 

2 hours ago, Rodhull said:

I think Shaughnessy could have done a job if he'd been given a chance at centre half rather than right back but that's very much said with the benefit of hindsight. Didn't think he was that great at the time but he seems to have done a decent job at St. Johnstone. No worse than a lot of defenders we've had at least.

I remember Shaughnessy being terrible when he did get a game at centre-half after being decent enough at right back. Saints was a good move for him.

Scott Wright is nowhere near good enough. 
I used to think Mcinnes didn’t play young players enough but tend to find myself agreeing with him these days. I would rather finish high up the table than play young players who are not good enough.
Sure, but the argument is obviously that without playing them we'll never find out if they're good enough. Who knows what would have happened with McKenna if Arnason, O'Connor and Reynolds hadn't underperformed last season. I certainly don't think McInnes started the season thinking he was going to build the defence around him.
From the outside your youth players fail to make it because they never get a run of games at this level. Shaughnessy was helluva raw when we signed him, but within six months looked comfortable. 
Can't help but feel game time McInnes has given to folk like Woodman, Ball, Nwakwli (sp?), and probably more, could easily have went to younger players instead. Even Considine should've been dropped every so often so Harvie could've improved, especially after looking superb in the Championship. There's absolutely zero chance he'd have played McKenna if he'd managed to sign another centre half last summer. 
Fwiw he had similar issues with us in terms of bringing players through, it was only through absolute necessity, when there was literally no other option, that he'd play youngsters. 

A fair summary above of the arguments around young players at Pittodrie. Once again, there is a problem of getting first team game time in that vital 18-21 age range and no rebranding of the u20s league to a reserve league will change that.

If they aren't ready, no point retaining them as squad filler and stunting their development. Get them out on loan. They will gain more from one first team game than rotting on the bench or in the reserves. Messers Smith and Shaughnessy are fantastic examples of players who, with a season or two on loan, could come in and save us spunking money on dross like Tansey, Chidi, Morris and Daniels.

Scott Wright is now in the same situation. Get him out playing first team football. Same with Dean Campbell if we are not going to play him, get him out for a year to gain experience.

In short, we need to make more extensive use of the loan market for our own youngsters as well as helping other clubs with their young players.