Living on your own

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in the grass market in Edinburgh on my own. Had plenty money left over. Met my gf so moved in with her but I would almost say the real question is.... Can you live with other people?

Of course, I've done so since I left home five years ago.

I don't hate the idea of living with others, it's just living alone sounds quality. Anyway, until I get a decent job this is pure fantasy anyway. Cheers for the comments though everyone.

I spend a decent amount of time home alone even though I'm married due to the wife going to festivals or nights out and staying in Edinburgh.

It is good at 1st (w**k night) but I do feel kind of lonely after a few hours.

I've never lived on my own so thought I'd enjoy the novelty - but i didn't.

I spend a decent amount of time home alone even though I'm married due to the wife going to festivals or nights out and staying in Edinburgh.

tumblr_ll3oeqQXbe1qbvaudo1_500.gif

I'm a lot more selfish now than before I lived on my own. I have very little tolerance for doing anything I don't want to do, even if it may be the socially acceptable thing to do.

May not be related to living on my own but my moods are much more variable now, I am either really high or really low. It's as if having company at home regulated my mood much more towards average.

For what it's worth, I don't particularly like any of the above.

I had my own place when I was 19, and at college in Greenock. Spent most of my time working/studying/in the pub so never really spent that much time on my own in there, but I did enjoy the freedom I had.

Made the mistake of meeting a girl and moving into a place with her. Life went downhill rapidly after. Ended up back at my parents, before moving through a succession of flats with friends and moving in with 1 other girlfriend for a while. Split up with that one and moved back into a flat with a couple of friends, then after a year or so met my current girlfriend who was on an extended holiday visiting family in Scotland. Thought I had knocked it off in getting my hole off a tourist, but I ended up moving to Switzerland and after initially staying in the loft of her parents house, moved into a flat over here with her. She has just gone on holiday with her pal for a fortnight so I'll see how living alone in a foreign country compares to back home.

Living alone > Living with friends > Living with a girlfriend in my experience, but that is probably down to the fairly terrible decisions I made with regards to women when I was younger.

Get on well living with the current one though, which is nice.

Difficult to say what is better. I lived in Cowcaddens for a year and it was pretty awful. The flat was good, perfect for what I needed really but the guy I lived with was on for 3 days then off for 4, so I was often trying to sleep through them going mental in the living room. I'd also come home to find that the hungover wankers had munched all my food while I was at work. I had some right good times in that flat but it all got a bit too annoying in the end.

I bought my first house last year and stayed alone for about 6 months, with the plan being for the burd to move in. She got rid of me not long after I bought the house but I wouldn't have said living alone made me feel any more lonely (depression already had a good grip of that), the opposite in fact. I really did like coming home to a quiet house, knowing I could just get my feet up and relax without any hassle from anyone. My mate who stays with me now has been living here for about 3 months and it's also been great. He works nightshift so we only see each other for a few hours at night before he goes to work but it's always a good laugh. Him helping out with the bills is also handy. I haven't rented a house on my own so can't really comment on that, I understand you're probably not in a position to be buying a house but I'd say go that way if you can. I pay about £500 a month all in (mortgage/leckie/gas/tv/internet/council tax etc.) but that's for a 1 bedroom flat in Dumbarton, contrast that to £500 on rent alone in Edinburgh and it's fairly obvious that you get what you pay for!

In summary - Sharing a flat with someone is cheaper but there's a 50/50 chance (based on my experience) they'll be a c**t. Living alone guarantees a c**t free environment (unless you are a c**t but then you'd be the top c**t in the house so it's all good).

I'm in a bit of a different situation. I've lived on my own for the past two years, but next month I'm going to be moving in with one or two flatmates for the first time I'm only 23 so it's probably a bit less strange than if I were older and doing the same thing.

Whilst being able to do whatever I want when I want is quite fun, I actually found it a bit boring a lot of the time and I want to try and save up some cash so it seems like a good idea for a while at least. I am a bit worried that I won't have the patience to deal with other people's mess and stealing food etc though. It'll be interesting anyway.

• 1 year later...

Archived