All things Dundee FC

It’s a pretty sad indictment of our nation and our football landscape that any engagement/interaction or pride with or for our military forces or heaven forfend a charity that supports veterans is seen as “Rangersy” and therefore unionist by association. 

The Black Watch have significant emotional and historic ties to the city of Dundee and this area so I don’t see any issue with it and take pride that my club have made strong likes with a worthy charity that will benefit the lives of many. I’d be equally happy if it was a children’s charity, a cancer charity etc. 

I’m not overly political and I’m not at all religious, and I don’t always agree with the things our military are sent to do, but that should be no barrier to people receiving support if it’s needed. 

1 hour ago, Der Panzer said:

It’s a pretty sad indictment of our nation and our football landscape that any engagement/interaction or pride with or for our military forces or heaven forfend a charity that supports veterans is seen as “Rangersy” and therefore unionist by association. 

The Black Watch have significant emotional and historic ties to the city of Dundee and this area so I don’t see any issue with it and take pride that my club have made strong likes with a worthy charity that will benefit the lives of many. I’d be equally happy if it was a children’s charity, a cancer charity etc. 

I’m not overly political and I’m not at all religious, and I don’t always agree with the things our military are sent to do, but that should be no barrier to people receiving support if it’s needed. 

The last sentence sums it up for me.  I'm certainly not supportive of the way the military is used and glorified but that doesn't mean that the people affected by it don't need support.

6 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

TBH it's more embarrassing the number of grown men who think football shirts are "smart" etc. 

Presumably the types who wander aroond in gear their maw buys from JD Sports 24/7

5 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

It's sad that associations with the British Army are seen as unionist? How do you see them, man named after a tank?

The British Army is your Army: in an uncertain world it is ever vigilant, always ready and steadfast in its commitment to the defence of the United Kingdom and its citizens. 

What We Do | The British Army (mod.uk) 

I can think of another group that's aye "ready" and committed to defence of the UK.

In the aftermath of the First Jacobite Rebellion of 1715, Independent Companies of militia were raised from loyalist Highland clans for policing and peacekeeping duties. These companies were commonly known in Gaelic as ‘Am Freiceadan Dubh’, or ‘The Black Watch’, due to their unpopular nature and their dark green government-issue tartan. 

The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) | National Army Museum (nam.ac.uk)

5 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

that should be no barrier to people receiving support if it’s needed. 

I don't think anyone opting not to buy this or any of the now FIVE Black Watch kits we have released creates a barrier for anyone receiving support. If people don't donate to a cause, it's because they don't believe in it. That's the same the world over; irrespective of the Scottish football landscape.

These associations/collaborations are all about PR and I'm uncomfortable with the idea that my club thinks the best way to engage with me and my fellow fans is by promoting or encouraging the existence of the armed forces. The Maggies link made much more sense and was obviously not divisive in any way. Nelms is from gun-loving Texas and his Dad worked at Faslane. If he wants to encourage these things or help look after the men who are now sad about the people they shot then he should perhaps use his own considerable wealth to make a donation, not use my club to promote it. 

I'd like to see another Maggie's kit. Thought the pink shirt was a banger and a good local cause. 

Plenty charities I'd like to see the Dee get behind. Dundee Bairns for example or The Yard. 

As always for me the biggest gripe Iv got regardless of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd tap is its price, not that Iv been a full kit w****r since I was 12 but at £55/60 for top £22 for shorts and another £12 socks that for me takes the cake.

Add in to that the kids at £45 also more likely to get a name and number on back probably even spfl logo if that’s not supplied 

I know it’s not just Dundee eventually I’d like clubs to give themselves a shake and instead of giving a wage to a player they know, like categorically THEY KNOW WILL NOT PLAY(may aswell have a youth player planking his arse at least they get the benefit) stick it in a pot for a lucky fan or something to win a top or a tour a match day tour or something 

On 19/02/2024 at 21:30, Fifespud said:

Boo. If there’s no Fabian my season ticket is going straight back. 

I'm back in the hood 'til Monday...pre-match pint tomorrow?

Don't know about everyone else but I'd be keeping McCracken in the team tomorrow night. 

We could do with both McCowan and Mulligan in central midfield, but I'd be putting Mulligan RWB and Fin back in the team with Sylla. This is where Doc farming Cammy out has came back to bite him.  

McCracken;

Portales, Shaughnessy, Donnelly;

Mulligan, Robertson, Sylla, Beck;

McCowan;

Main, Mellon.

Wouldn't be starting bakayoko after his minimal involvement against Killie, especially from the 85th minute onwards. 

9 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Don't know about everyone else but I'd be keeping McCracken in the team tomorrow night. 

We could do with both McCowan and Mulligan in central midfield, but I'd be putting Mulligan RWB and Fin back in the team with Sylla. This is where Doc farming Cammy out has came back to bite him.  

McCracken;

Portales, Shaughnessy, Donnelly;

Mulligan, Robertson, Sylla, Beck;

McCowan;

Main, Mellon.

Wouldn't be starting bakayoko after his minimal involvement against Killie, especially from the 85th minute onwards. 

Doc says , Mulligan has a hamstring injury and Carson also carrying a knock 

1 hour ago, Wee jeemie said:

Doc says , Mulligan has a hamstring injury and Carson also carrying a knock 

Cheers mate just seen as much there. Surely there's a reserve right back that we can call on instead of two or three goalies on the bench tomorrow? Just a thought 

9 hours ago, RawB93 said:

It's sad that associations with the British Army are seen as unionist? How do you see them, man named after a tank?

The British Army is your Army: in an uncertain world it is ever vigilant, always ready and steadfast in its commitment to the defence of the United Kingdom and its citizens. 

I can think of another group that's aye "ready" and committed to defence of the UK.

In the aftermath of the First Jacobite Rebellion of 1715, Independent Companies of militia were raised from loyalist Highland clans for policing and peacekeeping duties. These companies were commonly known in Gaelic as ‘Am Freiceadan Dubh’, or ‘The Black Watch’, due to their unpopular nature and their dark green government-issue tartan. 

I don't think anyone opting not to buy this or any of the now FIVE Black Watch kits we have released creates a barrier for anyone receiving support. If people don't donate to a cause, it's because they don't believe in it. That's the same the world over; irrespective of the Scottish football landscape.

These associations/collaborations are all about PR and I'm uncomfortable with the idea that my club thinks the best way to engage with me and my fellow fans is by promoting or encouraging the existence of the armed forces. The Maggies link made much more sense and was obviously not divisive in any way. Nelms is from gun-loving Texas and his Dad worked at Faslane. If he wants to encourage these things or help look after the men who are now sad about the people they shot then he should perhaps use his own considerable wealth to make a donation, not use my club to promote it. 

Like I said - I’m not particularly motivated politically and have zero ties to the military apart from a single cousin. 

To clarify one thing - My name was created back when Luka Tankulic was a thing and everyone was calling him “The Tank” - my young teenage self thought it was clever to translate that into his native tongue (or something relative to it in his native tongue). I now realise that context is fleeting in football!

I then discovered women and alcohol and never posted for years until recently - when I worked out through bitter experience women and alcohol should be enjoyed in moderation and ranting in a football forum with similar lunatics was actually less stressful than both. 

Do I like the third kit because of my moronic 'oh look something shiny' outlook? Yes. It's a fucking belter of a kit.

Do I like the fact that Dundee do this armed forces circle-w**k? No, I don't actually.

Do I think Nelms is entirely misplaced on doing this sort of thing? Yes, a lot of people will...a lot of people won't though. 

Did I still buy the kit because it looks good? Yes, I did. Cuff me.

Simply put, if you don't like it so much that you don't want the club to do it then get a petition going. I'd probably sign it. Kit is smert though. 

Edited by Pens_Dark

On 12/03/2024 at 13:52, RawB93 said:

It gets even worse, Nelms is supposedly sending his son into the army 😂😂

Reminds me of the time someone in my work asked us to donate money to his son who was going to Ukraine to fight against the Russians.  He took the huff when I told him his son wasn't a hero but was in actual fact a terrorist!!

11 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

It gets even worse, Nelms is supposedly sending his son into the army 😂😂

Reminds me of the time someone in my work asked us to donate money to his son who was going to Ukraine to fight against the Russians.  He took the huff when I told him his son wasn't a hero but was in actual fact a terrorist!!

I don’t think that’s how army recruitment works.  Do you simply mean his son is joining the army?