Glasgow City Centre Crash

1320Lichtie

I'm in two minds about seeing people who are not related to this is any way posting how they feel on social media.

I think it goes without saying that everyone thinks this is a terrible and tragic accident and feels bad for the people directly involved. Would you raise the issue on facebook or Twitter to improve your image or piggyback onto others genuine grief and sorrow?

I'm not saying it's even a conscious thing but it does seem to happen more and more these days, it was very unsual to get a minutes silence or applause at a football match. Now it happens all the time. Have people become more sensitive or what is it?

There's talk of a candlelit vigil that has gone public on facebook, inviting people from all over Scotland. I don't want to seem crass or insensitive but is this not getting a bit much? Let the families grieve in peace and stop interfering with things that you have no right to.

Things changed after Lady Diana's unfortunate death, people crying yet they had never met her.

I don't understand this, sorry.

I guess it's a bit like when you drive past a car accident and slow down to look because it's just human nature?

I can assure you that knowing that people are thinking of you and your family during a traumatic time can help you massively through your grief. I was involved in something a few years back that had plenty of media coverage and although not quite candlelight vigil levels of tragedy, there was something comforting about getting letters and well wishes from strangers as well as folk I knew.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in two minds about seeing people who are not related to this is any way posting how they feel on social media.

I think it goes without saying that everyone thinks this is a terrible and tragic accident and feels bad for the people directly involved. Would you raise the issue on facebook or Twitter to improve your image or piggyback onto others genuine grief and sorrow?

I'm not saying it's even a conscious thing but it does seem to happen more and more these days, it was very unsual to get a minutes silence or applause at a football match. Now it happens all the time. Have people become more sensitive or what is it?

There's talk of a candlelit vigil that has gone public on facebook, inviting people from all over Scotland. I don't want to seem crass or insensitive but is this not getting a bit much? Let the families grieve in peace and stop interfering with things that you have no right to.

Things changed after Lady Diana's unfortunate death, people crying yet they had never met her.

I don't understand this, sorry.

I guess it's a bit like when you drive past a car accident and slow down to look because it's just human nature?

yep, it just seems empty words, saying RIP about someone you had never met but recognised the place where they died.

yep, it just seems empty words, saying RIP about someone you had never met but recognised the place where they died.

Its called being human. We feel more compassionate about people and events we can connect with.

Hence car crashes in Argentina are not reported in our press but those in Inverness are.

Anybody follow stormy sturgeon, the follow on from angry salmond on Twitter?

They have gone from parody account to posting as if they actually are sturgeon it's fucking bizarre/ a bit sick. Compounded by retweeting English and Welsh folk who presumably think it actually is her

Check out @StormySturgeon's Tweet: https://twitter.com/StormySturgeon/status/547398587764989952

You might think it is just someone using their parody account to get a message of sympathy across but they have deleted the ones saying things like " I will make it my mission to launch a full investigation into this"

Have to agree, it would be a bit unsettling if that Twitter guy is prosecuted for anything.

He's obviously an orbital level c**t but bad taste and being unfunny shouldn't be a crime. You could double Scotland's prison population with an hours search of P&B if what he's done gets you the jail.

The people threatening him and posting his details should actually face punishment. Thick fuckers.

I'll be surprised if he gets away with anything other than a fine or even a short prison sentence. Plenty of cases already where this has happened in similar circumstances.

The boy is a monumental c**t, but being a c**t and making sick jokes in the immediate aftermath of a tragedy isn't the sort of thing people should be locked up for. At any rate, the jokes will probably go around anyway, even if putting them on an open forum will attract a backlash. Free speech is often unpleasant, but the attitude of the courts and prosecutors to things like this is even more so IMO. No need to be jailing people for things like this, even if it's uncalled for.

Agree totally about the outraged people posting his address - making sick jokes isn't on in their book, but posting someone's address and subsequently putting him in actual danger of being physically harmed is fair game? What a warped view that is, and I've no doubt that the irony will be completely lost on them.

*MASSIVE sigh of disappointment at some of this thread* :(

Amazing how at a tragic time like this which should unite and pull people together, there's still some utter shitbrains ruin a thread by speculating wild nonsense or turning it into clusterfuk of bickering.

This thread should just be for the news updates and messages on condolence to those affected.

totally agree

For a family to lose their mum, dad and daughter at the same time is utterly incomprehensible.

Heartbreaking :(

I was reading that the girl's mum was there too, but had popped over to the bank to get cash and saw it all happen.

How do you ever cope with that?

:(

I was reading that the girl's mum was there too, but had popped over to the bank to get cash and saw it all happen.

How do you ever cope with that?

:(

I hope the first thought that came to mind isn't the one that's taken.

Similar to the driver, no matter how much you try and rationalise this as a freak, tragic accident, I really cannot imagine how you would begin to get on with your life.

You say that but you've genuinely no idea how many calls the police get every day about social media comments, people reporting pictures/comments/tweets etc then six months down the line they can't be arsed going to court and act like it's your fault for taking their complaint.

Are you saying police/courts should be harsh because there are loads of people moaning about similar crimes unrelated to the unlucky one who ends up in court?

I'll be surprised if he gets away with anything other than a fine or even a short prison sentence. Plenty of cases already where this has happened in similar circumstances.

The boy is a monumental c**t, but being a c**t and making sick jokes in the immediate aftermath of a tragedy isn't the sort of thing people should be locked up for. At any rate, the jokes will probably go around anyway, even if putting them on an open forum will attract a backlash. Free speech is often unpleasant, but the attitude of the courts and prosecutors to things like this is even more so IMO. No need to be jailing people for things like this, even if it's uncalled for.

Agree totally about the outraged people posting his address - making sick jokes isn't on in their book, but posting someone's address and subsequently putting him in actual danger of being physically harmed is fair game? What a warped view that is, and I've no doubt that the irony will be completely lost on them.

Nail on head. Twitter or facebook etc aren't always visible to the joe public. Whats funny to one person is offensive to the next. If they found the comment that bad they should have either defriended or told them to their face. Overall which person has caused more distress to people? The idiot that wrote it or the one who decided to let the wider world know that will include grieving families and the easily offended with attitude.

Nail on head. Twitter or facebook etc aren't always visible to the joe public. Whats funny to one person is offensive to the next. If they found the comment that bad they should have either defriended or told them to their face. Overall which person has caused more distress to people? The idiot that wrote it or the one who decided to let the wider world know that will include grieving families and the easily offended with attitude.

The folk replying calling him an English c**t haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either. Possibly failing to see that he could counter report them.

Some proper fucking idiots about.

You say that but you've genuinely no idea how many calls the police get every day about social media comments, people reporting pictures/comments/tweets etc then six months down the line they can't be arsed going to court and act like it's your fault for taking their complaint.

I'm certainly not blaming the police themselves here, more the PF/CPS and the courts who pass sentence. If the police were forced to act on every complaint generated from social media, the entire system would crash. We do need to take a look at the laws here, though, as in my opinion resources are being wasted whilst we're undermining free speech.

I've no doubt the police are subject to hundreds of frivolous complaints each day, and not limited to things posted on social media. I can't help but feel police time is being wasted because X said something bad on the internet and Y, who is a completely unconnected party, is offended and thinks it ought to be banned. Don't get me wrong, I can see why some people get upset or angry about such postings, but criminal behaviour? I don't think so. Can we not just look at people like that as the attention seeking/sick people that they are and be done with it?

if the police don't even bother investigating some instances of theft (which was admitted to earlier this year) they really shouldn't be bothering with someone writing naughty comments on twitter

As mentioned further up the thread, I work for the council. One of the HEIL engineers gave me a woolly hat with the logo on it. I walked into my bowling club one day with it on and was set upon by two of the old duffers for wearing an offensive hat.

I had an auld dear telling me that I was a disgrace and should be ashamed because of a company we employed. Company name: Schindler Lifts.

Some old people are a bit tapped.

I had an auld dear telling me that I was a disgrace and should be ashamed because of a company we employed. Company name: Schindler Lifts.

That still makes my lift trips a little more entertaining tbh.

Was she a Nazi? I thought Schindler was a good guy.

People posting on my facebook about turning their Christmas lights off.

Is this a thing? :huh:

When I very briefly had sky news on earlier they were reporting the number of likes a fb about above had. Turned off at that point, how is that news.

Archived