Who's Going Down?

594 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think there is a tendency to over-estimate how good the 1st division teams are..

Agreed, however, try telling that to the players who will have the honour of meeting Sevco in the play off games. Psychology plays a big part in the outcome of matches and our fear of the Rangers and their tribute act is all to clear.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about to become a 4 way fight, no doubt about it.

I hope you are right, however, I have a hunch that it will be us and you. Goal difference can still play a major part in who gets the play off spot and Thistle are currently +3. This in my book is worth at least one point in the battle for 10th place.

I hope you are right, however, I have a hunch that it will be us and you. Goal difference can still play a major part in who gets the play off spot and Thistle are currently +3. This in my book is worth at least one point in the battle for 10th place.

It's not worth at least one point. It's worth half a point in a scenario like this. You have some odd takes on things I'll give you that.

It's not worth at least one point. It's worth half a point in a scenario like this. You have some odd takes on things I'll give you that.

Half a point or a point it doesn’t matter which (although my analogy is more realistic as the concept of half points only exist in your odd world). The fact is Partick’s positive GD could be the difference between being in the play off spot or not. I know which GD I would rather have going into a make or break game against a team level on points.

On current form you'd have to say that Partick are going to be involved in the battle, I think ourselves and Motherwell both have more about us at the moment.

U may be right but this statement does annoy me... yes county and Motherwell are in great form but so are thistle, beat 3 top 6 teams and drew with 1 in last 5 games.

Half a point or a point it doesn’t matter which (although my analogy is more realistic as the concept of half points only exist in your odd world). The fact is Partick’s positive GD could be the difference between being in the play off spot or not. I know which GD I would rather have going into a make or break game against a team level on points.

If Partick and ourselves were equal on real, proper points (you know, the ones awarded for wins and draws), their goal difference would put them ahead. If we were 1 point ahead on real, proper points their goal difference wouldn't make a difference, we'd still be ahead. Hence, it's not worth a point or even more ludicrously, it's definitely not worth more than one point. You can call it whatever fraction you want, it's worth something, but it's less than a point.

Stay in school. Savvy?

If Partick and ourselves were equal on real, proper points (you know, the ones awarded for wins and draws), their goal difference would put them ahead.

And that is exactly the scenario that I mentioned in my post.

Stay in school, Savvy? :rolleyes:

I know which GD I would rather have going into a make or break game against a team level on points.

And that is exactly the scenario that I mentioned in my post.

Stay in school, Savvy? :rolleyes:

Seriously, before I get myself in trouble, is there something wrong with you?

Yes, goal difference is a genuine delineator... that's the whole reason it's quantified in the first place. You however said it was worth at least one point. It's not, it's worth between 0 and 1 points.

Seriously, before I get myself in trouble, is there something wrong with you?

Yes, goal difference is a genuine delineator... that's the whole reason it's quantified in the first place. You however said it was worth at least one point. It's not, it's worth between 0 and 1 points.

There's no such thing In the league as something between 0 and 1 points. I'm with the other lad tbh, it's as good as a point.

There's no such thing In the league as something between 0 and 1 points. I'm with the other lad tbh, it's as good as a point.

It's just not. It's almost as good, but it's not as good. Point being, if County were one real point ahead of Partick, their GD doesn't suddenly level the playing field.

Point being, if County were one real point ahead of Partick, their GD doesn't suddenly level the playing field.

Of course it doesn't! That's not how goal difference works at all, you know that.

It's a meaningless argument all being said, but the other chap is no more wrong than you are.

I cant see Killie being near the bottom to be honest, Locke is a pretty good manager and will have gained plenty of experience with Hearts. Also they have a pretty good team. I think Killie's problem is that they have seen themselves as safe and taken the foot off the pedal too much

Of course it doesn't! That's not how goal difference works at all, you know that.

It's a meaningless argument all being said, but the other chap is no more wrong than you are.

Nonsense, he was trying to argue it was worth at least / potentially more than a point. It's not.

My maths is sound, and when you cut to the chase, mathematically that's exactly how goal difference works.

A cumulative quantity for points & goal difference is summed up as Cq = P + (GD/K), K>√(GD^2).

Which in short, means a +ive goal difference is always worth the equivalent of more than 0, but less than 1. And a -ive goal difference is worth the equivalent of less than 0 but more than -1. Of course we don't write it that way, because it doesn't offer enough insight into individual club performances, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

Archived