Who's Going Down?

594 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cant get into the article unfortunately mate - whats the gist about how they will lose £1.2 million?

The article's a load of contrived nonsense. Assuming that Rangers get through to the play-off final and assuming that they get 50,000 crowds at their two home games (assuming that they finish second) then they'll have to pay half their home gates to the SPFL which would be a lot of money. Then there's the £500k which they'll be due to pay Newcastle for the loan players.

Rather ignores the fact that they'll get to keep the other half of their home gates from these additional games and so would still be better off than they would without the play-offs. Likewise if they get to the play-off final but lose.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant get into the article unfortunately mate - whats the gist about how they will lose £1.2 million?

The article doesn't say Sevco will lose £1.2m, it says that the SPFL will gain £1.2m from them. It's making the point that it's a big windfall for the SPFL from potential gate receipts. Sevco will, of course, make money from this outcome but not as much as the SPFL will make.

The article's a load of contrived nonsense. Assuming that Rangers get through to the play-off final and assuming that they get 50,000 crowds at their two home games (assuming that they finish second) then they'll have to pay half their home gates to the SPFL which would be a lot of money. Then there's the £500k which they'll be due to pay Newcastle for the loan players.

Rather ignores the fact that they'll get to keep the other half of their home gates from these additional games and so would still be better off than they would without the play-offs. Likewise if they get to the play-off final but lose.

Yes I was conned by the article as well, they will make money, however, not as much as they might have.

The full article…

£1.2million - The cost to Rangers for play-off success

Lindsay Heron

Wednesday 8 April 2015

THE SPFL is set to net a sensational £1million-plus windfall from Rangers as a result of a clause in their regulations over play-off gate money.

Ibrox3_16.jpg

The governing body is entitled to 50 per-cent of all ticket revenue from the knockout matches - before costs - and it will bring in a sum beyond their wildest dreams.

Remarkably, Rangers are on course to pay out more than double the prize money of £342,000 they will receive if they finish second and go on to reach the Premiership play-off final.

Assuming the Light Blues take on and beat Hibs in the semi-final and then face either St Mirren, Motherwell or Ross County, two 50,000 Ibrox crowds will bring in well in excess of £2million.

Not only will Rangers have to hand over half of this revenue, they are required to do so within seven days of each match.

However, Rangers will have to wait until August to get the bulk of their entitled prize money - £232,000 of the £342,000 for finishing runners-up.

Regulation C26 states: "A levy of 50% of the monies (gross excluding VAT) received or receivable by the Home Club for all Play-Off Matches played in the Premiership/Championship PlayOff Competition from all admission charges paid and payable to and for the relevant Play-Off Match shall be paid by the Home Club to the Company within seven days of the date on which each Play-Off Match is played."

The stinging clause will also hammer Hibs who will have to hand over half of their ticket revenue from their involvement in the play-off - and that could be over £200,000.

They had to do the same last year when they lost to Hamilton Accies although the parachute payment of £500,000 eased the pain.

Ironically, chairman Rod Petrie was instrumental in pushing through this clause when the play-off procedure was introduced by the SPFL.

It was revealed last week that Newcastle United are due a payment of £500,000 if Rangers are promoted under the terms of a deal agreed by Derek Llambias, the ousted chief executive and former Magpies managing director, over the loan of five players.

Only Haris Vuckic has played regularly with Remie Streete lasting less than 45 minutes and the other three Kevin Mbabu, Gael Bigirimana and Shane Ferguson are all injured and unlikely to play at all.

So, incredibly, it is going to cost Rangers over £1.2million to get back up to the top flight.

On top of that, the SPFL is still involved in a battle with the Light Blues over the payment of a £250,000 fine imposed on the oldco for breaching EBT regulations.

The governing body claims that former chief executive Graham Wallace agreed liability on behalf of the newco but in a statement last December, Rangers said they were fighting this.

The SPFL then indicated they would withhold prize money from Rangers to cover the payment of this fine but the Ibrox club subsequently appealed to the Scottish FA.

A judicial panel has yet to meet to decide the matter and in the interim the SPFL has continued to make the staggered payments.

It was one of the aspects which persuaded the SPL clubs to vote for the 'merger' and the addition of the playoff as well as doubling the parachute from £250k (Y1) & £125k (Y2) to £500k (Y1) & £250k (Y2), IIRC.

Last season's playoffs were watched by 38,648 fans... so SPFL probably made back about £350-400k.

The article doesn't say Sevco will lose £1.2m, it says that the SPFL will gain £1.2m from them. It's making the point that it's a big windfall for the SPFL from potential gate receipts. Sevco will, of course, make money from this outcome but not as much as the SPFL will make.

So SPFL will be hoping that the blue bigots finish third to give them 3 home play off games.

So SPFL will be hoping that the blue bigots finish third to give them 3 home play off games.

I would presume so. Meanwhile the rest of Scottish football hopes they finish 5th and then just cease to exist....(again).

It's a sickenening prospect even thinking about having to face Sevco in the playoffs. It would be like automatic relegation but with a massive, heartbreaking boot in the stones thrown in for good measure. That is why we simple HAVE to make sure that we defy the odds and finish 10th, though with the form County are in that is a big, big ask. As for Thistle and Killie, I think they are both just about safe and won't be dragged into it so for us, it is all about setting our sights on RC and that 10th place.

We are in it just now, no doubt about it. We'll be almost free of it IF we win on Saturday, but that's a tough task. People are overlooking somewhat that we're playing pretty well too, but I still have plenty of fear about the game on Saturday and would take a draw now if offered.

We are in it just now, no doubt about it. We'll be almost free of it IF we win on Saturday, but that's a tough task. People are overlooking somewhat that we're playing pretty well too, but I still have plenty of fear about the game on Saturday and would take a draw now if offered.

This.

I'm writing off tonight, anything we get is a massive bonus. I feel like I've been saying 2 more wins and we're safe for about 6 weeks now, even now 2 wins might not be enough depending on who they come against!

it is all about setting our sights on RC and that 10th place.

Yip I pretty much agree with that, it’s County or bust. I reckon we need to beat them by at least 3 clear goals to have any hope of securing 10th place on goal difference. I suspect the powers at be (SPFL/BT Sport/Sky) will insist that this is the final game of the season to add an extra bit of drama to the proceedings. If ourselves and County keep winning It will be the biggest and most important game that we have played in years.

Think its pretty much a given that we will be facing County in the final match of the season, hopefully and should be at Fir Park but you never know. In which case it will be the biggest league match we've played since Van den gaag day against Dunfermline in 1997.

Didn't realise how much the gap has closed between Thistle and 11th place :o .

Incredible really.

The most incredible aspect is that we`re playing well, keeping clean sheets and gaining points. Despite this we`re still being sucked in.

I think given they`re next two games and current form its still too early to write off Killy.

Yip I pretty much agree with that, it’s County or bust. I reckon we need to beat them by at least 3 clear goals to have any hope of securing 10th place on goal difference. I suspect the powers at be (SPFL/BT Sport/Sky) will insist that this is the final game of the season to add an extra bit of drama to the proceedings. If ourselves and County keep winning It will be the biggest and most important game that we have played in years.

Still a fair bit to go this season. Reckon it will be about getting to the 43 point mark to be safe. On this basis 3 teams to battle it out (think Killie will muster enough to get there)

The most incredible aspect is that we`re playing well, keeping clean sheets and gaining points. Despite this we`re still being sucked in.

I think given they`re next two games and current form its still too early to write off Killy.

Thistle have been doing well but it goes to show that whoever ends up 11th is likely to do so in good form and so there is no stick on that they will be relegated as I think there is a tendency to over-estimate how good the 1st division teams are..

What? With Partick likely to lose tonight, if you beat or draw with them and we beat St. Mirren then we overtake Partick. Also, if Killie as you'd expect lose to Aberdeen & Celtic, they'd only be 1 point ahead of us. To aim for us as "County or bust" is a ludicrous statement. It's about to become a 4 way fight, no doubt about it.

Think its pretty much a given that we will be facing County in the final match of the season, hopefully and should be at Fir Park but you never know. In which case it will be the biggest league match we've played since Van den gaag day against Dunfermline in 1997.

As per my point above, the SPFL have a few scheduling decisions to make as you can't guarantee it's a shootout between us and 'Well. Almost the opposite in fact. On current form analysis, it would be between Partick & 'Well.

Thistle have been doing well but it goes to show that whoever ends up 11th is likely to do so in good form and so there is no stick on that they will be relegated as I think there is a tendency to over-estimate how good the 1st division teams are..

That makes the naive assumption that there's a level playing field. The Rangers vs plucky highlanders is only ending one way.

Archived