What's your biggest regret of your life so far

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I regret not having a clear idea of what I want to do with my life. I'm 32 this month and still don't know what I want career wise. I didn't know at school so put in the minimum amount of work and managed to just get enough highers for uni. I graduated with a BA (no honours) Applied Social Sciences (which isn't even a proper subject) and found myself working as a support worker. Eleven years later, I'm still doing the same job and although I really enjoy working with people who have disabilities I have no opportunity for career progression unless I go into management (which I don't want to do). Last year I decided to start a distance learning Social Work degree with the OU. The problem is I can't finish the course as the latter stages involve 100 day placements and financially I can't accommodate this.

I can see myself in 20 years time doing the exact same job and becoming more cynical and bitter by the day.

I regret not having a clear idea of what I want to do with my life. I'm 32 this month and still don't know what I want career wise. I didn't know at school so put in the minimum amount of work and managed to just get enough highers for uni. I graduated with a BA (no honours) Applied Social Sciences (which isn't even a proper subject) and found myself working as a support worker. Eleven years later, I'm still doing the same job and although I really enjoy working with people who have disabilities I have no opportunity for career progression unless I go into management (which I don't want to do). Last year I decided to start a distance learning Social Work degree with the OU. The problem is I can't finish the course as the latter stages involve 100 day placements and financially I can't accommodate this.

I can see myself in 20 years time doing the exact same job and becoming more cynical and bitter by the day.

Finish the course, for God's sake. See if you can arrange a break in employment for three or four months; your bosses might be more understanding for someone who's trying to advance their education, especially as it's costing them nothing. Put money aside until placement time and live on Instant Noodles for a few months, if need be. You've put the work in and will absolutely kick yourself if you don't find a way to get the piece of paper at the end of it.

I don't think there is one actual regret that i can think of, fair enough if i went back in time i wouldn't do half the stupid things i did but i can't think if anything in particular that has had a negative effect on my life as a hole and that i made decisions based on how i felt at the time and made correct actions when things weren't working out

Och, you're no' that bad, son.

Finish the course, for God's sake. See if you can arrange a break in employment for three or four months; your bosses might be more understanding for someone who's trying to advance their education, especially as it's costing them nothing. Put money aside until placement time and live on Instant Noodles for a few months, if need be. You've put the work in and will absolutely kick yourself if you don't find a way to get the piece of paper at the end of it.

Cheers for the encouraging words, the thing is, my work are a charity and will only grant a sabbatical period of leave if it will have benefit to the organisation. These placements will only have benefit to me so I doubt leave will be granted. I'll persist until September then see if I can work something out.

I should've left school at 16 and started working FT. Instead I spent 2 years dossing about at school, not paying attention before starting my apprenticeship 2 years later than I should've.

Should've started a savings account at 18. I had over £3 grand in savings I blew on shit when I lost my job and spent the next 6 weeks distracting myself. Incredibly stupid.

If I start from right now and work back the way, I could point to various points in my life that changed things for the worse, which then led or helped lead to subsequent regrets. Aside from being relatively cheerful right now and not wanting to jeopardise that, nobody here knows me, nobody wants to read that so I will instead boil it down to the earliest possible thing I can recall that I believe, if I had done something differently, would have affected my life positively.

It's not as momentous as you probably think.

I should have done standard grade art.

Going to university. What a load of shite. Unless you are doing some niche degree or are naturally smart as f**k then you're wasting 4 years of your life.

It depends what you do with the experience and the degree. A degree can be a huge door-opener, stick at it.

It depends what you do with the experience and the degree. A degree can be a huge door-opener, stick at it.

Agreed. If you get a good degree and onto a grad scheme for a big company it can boost you right up the ladder.

Plenty of regrets but look at my life and couldn't be happier!

Best thing I did was not go to Uni. The recession just happened as I was in my first year of my apprenticeship. I completed said apprenticeship and had a couple of outstanding jobs since that pay really well. I would however still like to go to Uni but having a big mortgage now may hinder my chances.

In all honesty, as has been mentioned previously by others, I still don't know for sure what I want to do with my life. I'm reasonably happy but at 25 years old,working 48 hours a week doing shifts the rest of my life isn't what I want.

As for regrets? I have been with the same girl since 18 barring an 8 month spell apart (which was pretty dece). I'd have liked to have went travelling for a year or so myself but couldn't do it while with her. On the otherhand, she is an outstanding person that I couldn't possibly expect more from. She'd do anything for me and she's got a superb job also.

Think I just need a kick up the arse tbh.

As for regrets? I have been with the same girl since 18 barring an 8 month spell apart (which was pretty dece). I'd have liked to have went travelling for a year or so myself but couldn't do it while with her. On the otherhand, she is an outstanding person that I couldn't possibly expect more from. She'd do anything for me and she's got a superb job also.

Think I just need a kick up the arse tbh.

Indeed you do. Find some trousers and go travelling ffs. You could go together if that better suited you.

Probably not leaving the nest sooner, instead of waiting until I was 24. I should have went straight for it as soon as I was able to afford it. It's not to say life at home was crap or anything, life was comfortable but it really wasn't pushing me out of my comfort zone and it left me stagnating for a good couple of years.

Only 21 so I'd say slacking off too much in school

Also hanging out with the wrong type of friends (not druggies or anything, but literally said one thing wrong as a joke to them, all of a sudden my entire year in academy has ostracised me) and due to this building a social shell around myself, even later in school when I made some good friends I'd always have some shite excuse to not hang out after school cause I'd turned into an incredibly shy person who was uncomfortable around others. In a way it also caused me to easily push people away, only a few years out of school & I literally do not talk to anyone I was in the same classes as anymore.

I've got a really nice red SG which I absolutely love, I've managed to collect a few really nice guitars, i feel for mates who have to sell music gear for real life money shortages, If only we could make our birds sell jewellery instead!

As for regrets, probably sticking in at school for me, wish I'd just bothered my arse studying in 5th year and gone to do dentistry or something that would have made me more money. I also regret not learning piano when my parents offered me lessons as a kid. There's a few one night stands I regret too. Wish I'd stuck in at the golf when I was younger and got to a decent standard.

A bit harsh. Another friend of mine is now engaged to one of them!

Archived