Words that make you cross

I support adults with learning disabilities and I hear words all the time that annoy me. I'm probably worse because I'm getting annoyed on someone else's behalf.

I took a lad to a supported holiday and someone I spoke to called it respite. Well no, he's on holiday, you don't go to ibiza with your friends for a weeks respite do you?

Retardation and all forms of the word, there's nothing positive going on there so just leave it alone. I include it because it still is used, although rarely, to describe someone's capacity.

Just the other day a lady said to me while I was out with one of the guys "he understands everything you say to him, it's braw" I know that's a sentence but it still annoys.

A friend of mine does something similar and he insists on calling the people he helps "service users". Who the fk came up with that? What's wrong with "client" say, just about anything would be less ugly.

Spastic is a horrible word, I know it was used in the medical world at one time. Still an awful word.

Perfectly good word ruined by folk using it as an insult, like cretin, which is one that properly boils my mother's piss as she used to work with kids with cretinism.

The 'PC gone maaad' brigade must be seething that they're almost universally looked upon as human excrement when bandying around such terms these days.

Young lad at work the other day used the word closet instead of cupboard.

Little tosser.

In fairness to him, it might not have had the same impact if he'd told your workmates that you were a cupboard case.

A friend of mine does something similar and he insists on calling the people he helps "service users". Who the fk came up with that? What's wrong with "client" say, just about anything would be less ugly.

I normally would say "person I support" but more likely try to use the persons name wherever I can.

Season.

It's actually a good word and I will accept the following uses of it.

The football season

Time of year/weather

In relation to food

Experience (a seasoned pro)

In fact, almost every use of the word is fine with me, many many uses.

But these wanks who call a TV series a season can gtf.

It's probably on here already but "literally" when it should be "metaphorically". He literally exploded onto the park. He literally ate up the opposition.

The definition of literally has been updated to include the mis-use of the word, which literally boils my blood.

The definition of literally has been updated to include the mis-use of the word, which literally boils my blood.

Christ, so it has. The 'organic language' crowd must literally be over the moon.

I'd like to add my tuppence worth to this debate by saying cuntwaffle blancmange arse raffle turd wobble. And if you don't understand what I'm saying, YOU ARE A LANGUAGE FASCIST!!!

• 2 years later...

“An historic”. Having to use “an” rather than “a” here is simply because of the difficulty a southern Englander has pronouncing the “h” at the start of a word. If you speak properly (ie with a slight East Coast Of Scotland accent) there is no need for this infantile, extraneous “n”.

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

“An historic”. Having to use “an” rather than “a” here is simply because of the difficulty a southern Englander has pronouncing the “h” at the start of a word. If you speak properly (ie with a slight East Coast Of Scotland accent) there is no need for this infantile, extraneous “n”.

Paging @The_Kincardine

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

if you're both southern and extremely common, you can make a point for dropping the "h" and saying "an 'istoric...." in a witless bumpkin style - but not in the slightly odd way that some folk say "an hotel" (with a silent, rather than dropped, h)

whether or not that's acceptable is, of course, an entirely mute point.....

;)

10 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

That's an 'orrendous generalisation.