When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Detournement said:

The People's Vote/confirmation vote arguments are going to be exhausting. 

It will be funny to see just how many people try to justify doing a complete about face to the position they took on Brexit.

12 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I've a feeling the big narrative will be "only the safety of the UNION can safeguard Scotland's recovery from the Coronavirus crisis!" with plenty of headlines to that effect.

That would be a really stupid narrative for the Britnats to go for as it gives the Yes side an open goal to compare Johnson's clownshoes efforts, Cummings' disregard of lockdown rules etc. with the SG's handling of the crisis. The reality is that both governments have not done a very good job (SG has been relatively better); the impression of competence and integrity is much, much higher for the SG though. 

They should be steering well clear of that topic unless they want to induce a complete landslide, No to devolution in 1997 style shoeing. 

18 hours ago, Antlion said:

It’s more I think that the bunker-dwellers have decided that the issue of currency was what frightened Scots into voting “No” in 2014, and they’ve thus concluded it will work again. It’s one to watch: if the UK Nats can be outflanked on currency they’ll have nothing with which to try and frighten remaining switherers.

Expect the Tory serfs to go hard on it in their desperation to either claim there is no answer on currency or that the answer they receive won’t be possible (or both).  This will be their strategy for tricking people into keeping their butcher’s aprons flying.

ETA: it’s stupid and it’s irritating, because the currency issue is overblown beyond belief, but for some reason it does seem to cut through to people. If Yes Scotland can convince the majority that currency is sorted (or even just get through that it’s not actually a huge deal) then we’ve won.

Agreed, not having a simple, thirty second comeback to this right now is the main weak point in the mainstream Yes/SNP case. 'We'll set up an independent currency pegged to the Euro' is for me a sensible enough starting point to placate doubters, it's not as if you have to permanently enshrine currency policy in a new constitution. 

Edited by vikingTON

57 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It will be funny to see just how many people try to justify doing a complete about face to the position they took on Brexit.

At the end of the day it's irrelevant. It'll be the same situation as Brexit. The first referendum result will have to be implemented or politics will go into meltdown. 

You could even be cynical and it say a PV style movement would help them in the way it has helped Boris by taking the focus off the terms of departure.

38 minutes ago, Detournement said:

At the end of the day it's irrelevant. It'll be the same situation as Brexit. The first referendum result will have to be implemented or politics will go into meltdown. 

You could even be cynical and it say a PV style movement would help them in the way it has helped Boris by taking the focus off the terms of departure.

Maybe the SNP could make the first elections of a post-indy Scotland the unofficial confirmatory vote just to make their inevitable landslide even more, eh, inevitable. It'll give an excuse for all the people who are definitely going to switch parties after indy to keep on voting for the Only Show.

42 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I'm a bit annoyed I proved Kincardine actually posts quite a lot in the daytime as I have ruined a joke about seeing an otherwise nocturnal creature out in the day as a sign of desperation.

But are the daytime posts any more lucid? I have the impression of him hobbling about the golf course sober by day, taking the laughter and insults on the chin, then buying up what cheap piss he can after work ... only for the demons to invariably return once he’s back in his flat, liquored up good and proper, stewing in the ever-encroaching darkness of his own self hatred.

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

Agreed, not having a simple, thirty second comeback to this right now is the main weak point in the mainstream Yes/SNP case. 'We'll set up an independent currency egged to the Euro' is for me a sensible enough starting point to placate doubters, it's not as if you have to permanently enshrine currency policy in a new constitution. 

Scotland needs to be transparent in this. We should bring out our own currency - the Scottish Pound. For the sake of stability there are at least a couple of options. Firstly align with the UK pound. Secondly, join ERM 2 as preparation for adoption of the euro in due course. 

I'd personally go with the latter as it's a crystal clear statement of intent in terms of moving away from the path England seems determined to follow whilst demonstrating a more collaborative  international approach. Once we're ready, we can adopt the Euro and crack on. 

Seeing Yes at over 50% without don't knows is what I've been waiting to see. The don't knows are utter shitebags who have no intention of actually considering a Yes vote, imo. Encouraging but still tight tight tight.

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I see that fanbhoys of the debtor region are getting ahead of themselves again.

How proud must you be of opinion polls when the decent Tories of England are paying for your prescriptions?

Absolutely seething warnock.png

24 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I want us to resurrect a long dead currency with a cool name. Personally I like ducats. Makes me think of an Early Modern monarch like Charles V.

We could either go all 'ye olde RPG' or just go full Star Trek and call them credits.

Or for maximum unionist seethe... groats (with pictures of Mel Gibson and Alex Salmond doing Broonies on one side).

Edited by Gordon EF

https://www.reservebank.scot/

Dr Rideout's website makes some very good points regarding moving quickly towards a new currency and the mechanisms for its establishment.

It's really more stuff like this we need from a variety of academic viewpoints and then firm position taken by the SNP backed up by credible argument.

Get the message out and settled into the mind of the Scottish public before the next referendum and it diffuses the yoons big currency bomb before they get a chance to deploy it.

Why Sturgeon et al have no done this in the 6 years post indyref1 is anybody's guess.

Is it not that every currency is going to have its own set of problems? The crucial thing is just:

20 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Get the message out and settled into the mind of the Scottish public before the next referendum and it diffuses the yoons big currency bomb before they get a chance to deploy it.

and don't get bogged down in the discussion. Normalise whatever option the SNP prefer and press ahead. 

14 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I want us to resurrect a long dead currency with a cool name. Personally I like ducats. Makes me think of an Early Modern monarch like Charles V.

Rai stones for me 

13 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

P&B greenies should be our currency.

You'd be bankrupt in a day the way you throw those about, ya greeny tart

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan