The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, resk said:
1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:
Still on this chip on our shoulder stuff?

If by "chip on my shoulder" you mean do I think that the Bbc should recognise that British football isn't just English football, then yes, I have a chip on my shoulder. I just think it would be pretty simple to say "top flight football has returned in England" or "English top flight football has returned".

How much attention would pay to Welsh or N Irish sport if you were employed by the BBC? Be honest with yourself.

How much attention would pay to Welsh or N Irish sport if you were employed by the BBC? Be honest with yourself.
I think its probably too much to expect a Bbc newsreader / writer to have an in-depth knowledge of Welsh / N Irish / Scottish football, but not too much to expect that they know that the UK comprises of other nations apart from England, and maybe even that they have a vague concept that these nations also have their own football leagues.

I don't think there's much point you and I carrying on this argument - neither of us are going to change our minds. I think it is Terrible Journalism, and you don't. Fair enough.

30 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Not that I wish to get in the middle of this bun fight, but those are the operative words.

I don't expect the average Joe on the street to have a full grasp of the vagaries of each nations sport, but as someone employed to do so they should. What's more, it generally it falls into two main categories; a simple ignorance, or an out right arrogance. I've had countless conversations about this both with English people abroad and when living down there. For the latter it essentially ends up being "it shouldn't matter because England is more important and bringing it up is just small minded whinging" and there is nothing much you can do with people like that other than just dingy them for being idiots. The former however, is a Catch 22 situation where the media doesn't report on other leagues, so when you ask "how much attention if you were employed", the answer should be "enough for you to accurately report on the situation and inform your reader/viewership".

Just now, scottmcleanscontacts said:

This kind of shit annoys me far more than it should. I don't know who Shankland supports but let us imagine for a minute it's Alloa.

'Wasps daft Shankland' - just can't see it.

c***s.

He’s a massive Fivehead Wanderers fan.

2 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

This kind of shit annoys me far more than it should. I don't know who Shankland supports but let us imagine for a minute it's Alloa.

'Wasps daft Shankland' - just can't see it.

c***s.

Why not what they like for their tea?  "Egg and chips mental McBurnie and king prawn korma fanatic Shankland pull out".  That's as relevant when it comes to the national team.  

Why not what they like for their tea?  "Egg and chips mental McBurnie and king prawn korma fanatic Shankland pull out".  That's as relevant when it comes to the national team.  
Agreed.

Though if he liked King Prawn Korma he'd be one for the watching. Chicken or Lamb all the way.

48 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Agreed.

Though if he liked King Prawn Korma he'd be one for the watching. Chicken or Lamb all the way.

Couldn't agree more. The mere mention of the possibility of putting king prawn in a korma made me heave slightly. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Couldn't agree more. The mere mention of the possibility of putting king prawn in a korma made me heave slightly. 

Which curry is appropriate for King Prawn, genuinely interested