The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

On BBC Breakfast this morning that Celtic lost to “little known Hungarian side Ferencvaros”. Little known? 

Well they weren't in the Champions League thing in Germany there (or was it Portugal - who cares) so they must be unknown minnows.

14 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Talksport pundits talking shite is not journalism as such, but I think it's reassuring in an age of turmoil to see/hear perennial mince like this.

The really frustrating thing about shite like this is that it's within the power of the Old Firm clubs to raise the level of the Premiership through revenue sharing and rule changes.

Clubs like Rangers and Celtic can't complain about the poor quality of the league while they hoard all the wealth and have the rules set up to maximise their points return. It's damaging in the long term to OF clubs and it's damaging in the short and long term to every SPFL club.

Talksport are having their annual Scottish football phone in. Andy Goldstein and Darren Bent talking with glee about how the rest of Scottish football will die if the Old Firm move to England. Some dimwit Sevco fan phoning in to proclaim that Celtic and Rangers would instantly be the 3rd and 4th biggest clubs in England.

I don't know why I am putting myself through this.

Talksport are having their annual Scottish football phone in. Andy Goldstein and Darren Bent talking with glee about how the rest of Scottish football will die if the Old Firm move to England. Some dimwit Sevco fan phoning in to proclaim that Celtic and Rangers would instantly be the 3rd and 4th biggest clubs in England.
Munchunsen's by proxy?

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Although I couldn't listen to it personally, getting OF* fans into a seething mess by calling both clubs out as a couple of diddies on national radio is top notch stuff.

* there is no OF. Rangers died in 2012.

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

On BBC Breakfast this morning that Celtic lost to “little known Hungarian side Ferencvaros”. Little known? 

I like to think that TV Magyar reported that Ferencvaros had an easy win over little known side Celtic.

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I like to think that TV Magyar reported that Ferencvaros had an easy win over little known side Celtic.

Sounds about right. I remember talking to an East European (probably Romanian) Big Issue seller at the Meadowbank Shopping centre about an hour before a Hibs-Celtic game and, when explaining why there were all those guys dressed in green milling around, discovered they didn't know who Celtic were.

....from the BBC Sport article by Mr English,

It seemed like an age before the Celtic directors left their seats and departed the arena. In a moment that spoke of pure angst, Peter Lawwell, the chief executive, buried his head in his hands in the manner of a man who couldn't stand the sight of a potential £30m windfall disappearing in front of his eyes.

He wouldn't have budgeted for that Champions League money, but he'd have fantasised about it all the same.

To lose to a quality side would have been one thing, but to see the dream perish against a side that Celtic really should be beating was quite another. In terms of European reputation and fiscal recovery, this was a horrible blow to the club.

Beautiful, almost poetic.

edit 😂

Edited by LincolnHearts

6 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'll be honest I had to do a search as to who Simon Jordan was.

So did I, the name vaguely rang a bell, I thought he was connected with football/motor racing.

1 hour ago, LincolnHearts said:

....from the BBC Sport article by Mr English,

It seemed like an age before the Celtic directors left their seats and departed the arena. In a moment that spoke of pure angst, Peter Lawwell, the chief executive, buried his head in his hands in the manner of a man who couldn't stand the sight of a  Bonus disappearing in front of his eyes.

He wouldn't have budgeted for that Champions League money, but he'd have fantasised about it all the same.

To lose to a quality side would have been one thing, but to see the dream perish against a side that Celtic really should be beating was quite another. In terms of European reputation and fiscal recovery, this was a horrible blow to the club.

Beautiful, almost poetic.

edit 😂

FTFY.

We get the whole “it’s all the rest of Scottish Footballs fault” thing every year, usually from shit pundits that havent a clue about what’s happening in scotland. The same pundits that claim in the same way that bayern and psg are never challenged in their respective leagues.

Tom english will never get over the whole hearts/partick court case thing will he?
Heard him on the podcast asking Ian McCall if he “had gotten over the injustice of it all”.
Just fucking leave it, no amount of ranting and raving about it is going to change the decision.

11 hours ago, buchan30 said:

We get the whole “it’s all the rest of Scottish Footballs fault” thing every year, usually from shit pundits that havent a clue about what’s happening in scotland. The same pundits that claim in the same way that bayern and psg are never challenged in their respective leagues.

Tom english will never get over the whole hearts/partick court case thing will he?
Heard him on the podcast asking Ian McCall if he “had gotten over the injustice of it all”.
Just fucking leave it, no amount of ranting and raving about it is going to change the decision.

Thing is, I bet McCall is over it and was over it quite a while ago.

It's English who will never be over it.

21 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
21 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Munchunsen's by proxy?

That's not what you think it is.