By election updates

Mr Rational

3 hours ago, Fide said:

I grow increasingly convinced with every passing day that Unionists are fucking crackers.

That's because you're blinkered. That's typical of anyone that's joined a cult and abandons reason and common sense.

You simply can't accept that there are millions of Scots who like being part of the UK and many of them not bothered about the EU.

The only way you can beat that is by lying and being disingenuous and attempting to trash the concept of the UK.

The Uk works fine for Scotland. The only thing that is holding Scotland back are 2nd rate SNP politicians who put their dream of Nationalism above their elected duty to represent their constituents and do the best for ALL of Scotland. This after years of 2nd rate labour politicians in Westminster.

We only have ourselves to blame if we aren't getting what we deserve, but the truth is...We are getting exactly what we deserve and have no-one to blame but ourselves . We elected the idiots that have served us so poorly.

Independence will mean more expensive imports from rUK and therefore Scots will have reduced spending power and therefore less to spend on Scottish goods and services= less productivity in Scotland = job losses=recession=Sturgeon's happy cuz we're independent = f*ck the rest of you!

10 hours ago, doulikefish said:

England is yet agaIn the rest of the uk.We export to the rest of the uk not just england..The rest of the uk will have to do trade deals with whoever can provide them with the goods they require at the best price.If  you think the goods they currently get from the Scotland will be cheaper after they have been shipped around the world will be better economically then you are a bit barmy. It really is that simple.An indy Scotland in the eu would be in a much better position than a small trading block than ruk

I must be totally barmy as I dreamt the supermarkets currently ship fish around the world when they could source closer to home. Our UK steel market is in crisis yet i must have imagined the Scottish govt was bringing the stuff all the way from China. Going by your logic how can this steel possibly be cheaper than our own? Yes Europe has benefits but what business anywhere is willing to jeopardise 60% of its current trade? The only reason Europe is suddenly big for the SNP is that it provides them with a route to engineer another referendum. 

7 hours ago, AUFC90 said:

You make it sound like we'll be getting towed to the middle of the Pacific. Trade will continue just like the tens of billions worth of trade between Ireland and the UK is going to continue.

Not a certainty by any means. A depression I think is classified as a 10% drop in trade and yet we are willing to risk 60% of our own on a few decisions made for the self interest of politicians. 

14 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

I must be totally barmy as I dreamt the supermarkets currently ship fish around the world when they could source closer to home. Our UK steel market is in crisis yet i must have imagined the Scottish govt was bringing the stuff all the way from China. Going by your logic how can this steel possibly be cheaper than our own? Yes Europe has benefits but what business anywhere is willing to jeopardise 60% of its current trade? The only reason Europe is suddenly big for the SNP is that it provides them with a route to engineer another referendum. 

Yip your barmy

32 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Not a certainty by any means. A depression I think is classified as a 10% drop in trade and yet we are willing to risk 60% of our own on a few decisions made for the self interest of politicians. 

Since when did trading with the U.K. require being governed from Whitehall and Wesminster? Do you live in 1880?

13 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Since when did trading with the U.K. require being governed from Whitehall and Wesminster? Do you live in 1880?

it doesn't. An independent Scotland in the EU could negotiate with whoever it liked. 

13 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

So England would suddenly stop trading with us if we became Independent? Same with Sky and Asda when they threatened to leave Scotland because our hard earned would be no good to them.

From one extreme to the other. Of course we would still trade with RUk. The relationship would be very different though. Even small percentages of the current 60% being lost would be bad news for us. 

From one extreme to the other. Of course we would still trade with RUk. The relationship would be very different though. Even small percentages of the current 60% being lost would be bad news for us.

And any hole would be filled by us exporting (what is currently exported by the rUK) the to the rest of Europe(according to your theory).

58 minutes ago, jakedee said:

And any hole would be filled by us exporting (what is currently exported by the rUK) the to the rest of Europe(according to your theory).

we can only export what customers want to buy. Currently we are free to do that across UK and EU. Should the other EU countries ditch their current suppliers to come with us then yes. Not sure what the great offering is that Scotland would bring to the table that would rapidly cause them to break current agreements. 

3 hours ago, AyrExile said:

From one extreme to the other. Of course we would still trade with RUk. The relationship would be very different though. Even small percentages of the current 60% being lost would be bad news for us. 

http://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/news-publications/news/scotch-whisky-–-a-vital-uk-industry/#.V7GlTJgrK70

Pretty sure selling the RUk shedloads of Whisky would plug a few gaps. We will even get the export tax on it if we were Indy. 

4 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Again this is just meaningless rhetoric. Scotland is a region of the UK - it doesn't trade "with" the UK, it trades AS the UK. The relationship would be different insomuch as an iScotland would actually be making decisions about trade, not having decisions made for it as part of another nation.

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Again this is just meaningless rhetoric. Scotland is a region of the UK - it doesn't trade "with" the UK, it trades AS the UK. The relationship would be different insomuch as an iScotland would actually be making decisions about trade, not having decisions made for it as part of another nation.

iScotland as part of the EU would not be making decisions about trade.

2 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

You'd think with these millions of happy Brits who are constantly being let down by the SNP that someone else could get into office after 10 years.

Or you'd think they would just move down to England in order to get away from the nasty SNP, so they can find their salvation under the complete rule of Westminster. I wonder why they don't.....

1 hour ago, strichener said:

iScotland as part of the EU would not be making decisions about trade.

Not with other EU members, it will however make decisions about how it trades with non-EU members, just as the UK currently does.

An iUK on the other hand will have very little room for manoeuvre. It may be a powerful exporter right now. But once all is said and done and the UK walks away from the worlds largest single market, it will hardly be very appealing for export companies to remain where they are.

Or you'd think they would just move down to England in order to get away from the nasty SNP, so they can find their salvation under the complete rule of Westminster. I wonder why they don't.....

Once I have sucked all the great money I'm on up here and sponging the benefits up here I will move down there and give them my hard earned Scottish cash[emoji4]