This show was axed a couple of weeks ago - MUSSES BUNFIELD wouldn't be in it.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sean-coyle-i-was-hurt-and-upset-by-axing-of-my-radio-ulster-show-but-i-have-no-animosity-towards-the-bbc-38439120.html

I've tried listening to the standins/replacements but 5 minutes is about all I can last. Listen to Radio 3 or 4 instead (until a programme comes on that I like.)

On 11/09/2019 at 01:06, Arch Stanton said:

My Dad is 82 and he DID go see the Stones, Beatles and, in one spectacular gig at Paisley Ice Rink, The Who, Small Faces, Joe Cocker and Arthur Brown.

However he says modern music is rubbish and I agree, even though I listen to BBC 6 most days.

We’ll have to define ‘modern music’ and where the cut-off point on the calendar is for an artist to qualify as being modern. This will be highly subjective, but I think it’s safe to say that the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Who and so on are ‘old(er) school’, then some bands / artists I love who are definitely younger, still actively recording, and I would argue are therefore ‘modern’, include - Silversun Pickups, Wolf Alice, Kingswood, Gang of Youths, The Preatures, Will Hoge, Matt Nathanson, The Struts.... could go on all day, and that’s before I get to the ‘country / Americana’ bands I increasingly find myself liking - Zac Brown Band, A Thousand Horses, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Sean McConnell, Little Big Town, Sugarland....

I would strongly disagree that modern music is rubbish. What is it anyway? How do you define it? K-Pop? Rap? Stuff like Stormzy? Ariane Grande? Where would great rock bands like Foo Fighters, Alter Bridge, Stone Sour and Shinedown fit into the timeline? Are they old school? Modern? The Charlatans? Brilliant band, and still active, still relevant.

Beats me, that’s for sure. Good music is good music, whatever floats your boat. If a kid thinks a K-Pop band is the best band ever, then they are for them, and that’s all that matters.... he says, in a ‘birthday caird’ pish for this’ style.

😀

Edited by pozbaird

On 10/09/2019 at 23:35, welshbairn said:

Getting similar worries at the moment, during a break from piles problems, so am going to finally allow my doctor to stick his thumb up my arse to check if it's prostrate related. Recently heard that three of my elder cousins have problems, one probably fatal, so time to do the obvious thing.

I doubt it has anything to do with you lying face down on the ground but you might want to get your prostate gland checked while he has finger up there!

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Silversun Pickups, Wolf Alice, Kingswood, Gang of Youths, The Preatures, Will Hoge, Matt Nathanson, The Struts.... Zac Brown Band, A Thousand Horses, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Sean McConnell, Little Big Town, Sugarland....

Do any of these bands/people actually exist?

8 hours ago, Shotgun said:

It takes me back to the seventies when I would read NME in the hopes people would think I was some kind of musically aware type person. No fucking clue who any of the bands were.

I could never get into those music magazines. Apart from NME there were other ones, weren't there?

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I could never get into those music magazines. Apart from NME there were other ones, weren't there?

Melody Maker, Sounds and Record Mirror were issued weekly. Magazine that I can remember most was Zig Zag, usually had band family trees.

16 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Melody Maker, Sounds and Record Mirror were issued weekly. Magazine that I can remember most was Zig Zag, usually had band family trees.

That was the one, the others don't ring a bell at all.

3 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Yes, we all died but we came back in League Two pretending we were still the same people.

Ah, The GordonD, The Jacksgranda, etc. (With posting history and green dots intact, of course.)

Edited by Jacksgranda

Fucking Waukegan public works can’t keep their wastewater pies working so there was well over a foot of water in my basement this morning (along with some huge floods in the roads that I’ll refer to on the CCoM thread)

I used to buy ‘Sounds’ back in the day. By ‘back in the day’, for me, that means 1977 - 1987. My ‘prime years’ for seeing bands at the Glasgow Apollo, and wearing a green combat jacket festooned with sewn-on patches of heavy rock bands.

Sometimes I think ‘those were the days’, then sometimes I think it was a different lifetime, I wasn’t actually there. It just seems so long, long ago.

Life is strange.

Edited by pozbaird