Magazine Model/Collectibles

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe we had quite a few who did on here. When I can't mind lol

I remember when the SPFL sticker album with all the teams in it came out a few years back there was quite a lot of blackmarket doublers trading.

we got "The Great Composers" when I were a lad 30 years ago and now there are 50 cassettes of classical music gathering dust on a shelf in the living room*. The mag wasn't too bad a read- a potted life of the composer, a guide to music and musical instruments and a historical background feature (e.g. the rise of Napoleon for the Beethoven issue).

They reissued the series in the mid 1990s- the quality of the cassettes had gone well down (I didn't have a CD player at the time, should have perhaps just bought the CD issues)

(*I suppose I could still play them, but I can't be arsed)

The first time Star Wars was on the telly I taped it on VHS but neglected to pause it during the STV adverts. 'The Great Composers' ad was on every bloody break.

I've subscribed to 3 things in my time. The Marvel and DC graphic novel collections and the Marvel figurine collection. The Marvel graphic novels made a picture on the spine and was meant to be 60 issues. At 62 issues I questioned what was going on and was told it had been extended to 100 - eh no. The same with the figurines, before I subscribed I asked how many in the series and they said 60 but then they extended it to 100.

977204867700109.jpgoriginal.pngoriginal.png

It's not how many issues there are it is "planned number of parts"

Itzdrk will possibly agree, when I worked at Menzies part works were Bain of my life.

If I wasn't behaving for a reference I would have some stories to share

Soon...

I remember when the SPFL sticker album with all the teams in it came out a few years back there was quite a lot of blackmarket doublers trading.

One guy in my year stole 2 massive boxes from the back of the local coop. Was dealing them like a drug dealer during lunch. Could get a pack unopened for half what you'd pay in the shop, or a straight swap depending on what he needed.

I managed to complete a Dinosaur one when I was wee. It was only £1.50 an issue though.

Frontcover.jpg

I definitely had this too, completed the skeleton but the plastic casing for the flesh needed painting and was a pain in the arse to fit so think I too ended up with just the glow in the dark skeleton.

They definitely took the piss on how long they had you on the hook for, was something like 2 bones per issue, probably cost my parents about £50 in magazines to complete that- guessing it was out to capitalise on Jurassic Park?

edit: seems it was only 18 issues to complete the whole thing, think I ended up getting it til about issue 30, still am a big dinosaur fan tbh.

Does anyone remember Murder Casebook (think that's what it was called)? It covered a different serial killer each issue.

My auntie used to collect it and as I remember was fairly graphic at least it seemed to my young mind.

I asked a few years ago if she still had them but her dog had literally eaten them.

Not really the same thing but when I got a ZX Spectrum from "Santa" one year, my old man started buying this:

That's the kind of thing my mum would've got for me, but I don't remember ever seeing it anywhere. I got my Speccy in '82 - when did it come out?

Behave; I think I was only six :lol: I stepped on my Speccy after resetting it at the wall (too young to know that unplugging it at the Spectrum end would accomplish the same thing). It just came up with gibberish characters and squiggles whenever I tried it after that, so it went back in its case for years. Found it again after we moved house, and it had apparently forgiven me :thumsup2

That Sam Fox Strip Poker thing was bizarre - the picture quality was unbelievably bad, and a child could walk into any newsagent at the time and buy an actual colour picture of San Fox's tits for about 10p. Who exactly bought it? :wacko:

I collected every issue of the Nam magazine when it come out in the late '80s. Pretty good it was too...

1369209_130708210817_scan0031.jpg

I gave them to a charity shop when I had a clear out a few years ago. Kinda wish I'd kept 'em...

why? do you keep getting flashbacks?

Archived