The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

The substitutions of Graham and Lawless seemed a bit odd at the time (but you don’t really question stuff like that when you’re 2 nil up), in hindsight it was definitely the wrong decision, at least Doolan acknowledges that. Agree re the need for another winger to cover for Fitzpatrick and Lawless. Can’t fault the team’s effort today but didn’t make it any less gutting, especially after that really good first half showing, good feel about Firhill for most of the game too. 

Those subs were actually getting made at 1-0, they were getting ready to go before Fitzpatrick scored.

Maybe one for the Thistle Archive & idk if its too hard to pull, plus it was a cup game - how often have we gone at least a goal up in a game over the last decade and not seen it out to draw/lose vs. how often have we gone at least a goal down and turned it around to draw/win? Feels like the former happens an awfy lot more than the latter.

County playoffs, yesterday, the two 90+5 debacles against Rangers in the same season that i thought i was over but no, still got footballing PTSD from it, losing 2-1 to Dundee/Hamilton back to back, losing 4-3 away to Motherwell from 3-2 up...

Conversely the most memorable comeback coming to mind is the Christie Elliot Airdrie game after we'd already (edit; more or less) won the league.

Edit: 4-3 Raith game this season we lost, too.

Had a wee google and seen this, think i mind the game, another previous shitshow against County.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17456066.steven-anderson-accuses-partick-thistle-showing-soft-touch/

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

9 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Maybe one for the Thistle Archive & idk if its too hard to pull, plus it was a cup game - how often have we gone at least a goal up in a game over the last decade and not seen it out to draw/lose vs. how often have we gone at least a goal down and turned it around to draw/win? Feels like the former happens an awfy lot more than the latter.

County playoffs, yesterday, the two 90+5 debacles against Rangers in the same season that i thought i was over but no, still got footballing PTSD from it, losing 2-1 to Dundee/Hamilton back to back, losing 4-3 away to Motherwell from 3-2 up...

Conversely the most memorable comeback coming to mind is the Christie Elliot Airdrie game after we'd already won the league.

Edit: 4-3 Raith game this season we lost, too.

We hadn't already won the league when we came back to beat Airdrie 2-1. Are you maybe thinking of the last home game of that season, when we came back from 3-1 down against Dunfermline to draw 3-3 to put them in the play off place (and they were ultimately relegated).

Edited by Jgs

7 minutes ago, Jgs said:

We hadn't already won the league when we came back to beat Airdrie 2-1. Are you maybe thinking of the last game of that season, when we came back from 3-1 down against Dunfermline to draw 3-3 to put them in the play off place on the final day (and they were ultimately relegated).

Nope, had it in my head we were already champions by the Airdrie game. Do remember that 3-3 though, that was cracking tbf.

Going to go and read up on our last few games that season as a palatte cleanser.

Edit: ahh, the Airdrie game was the one right after James Craigen Day, thats why. Felt like the league was won after that but aye, wasnt sealed til we beat Falkirk and iirc Morton fell apart completely for their last few games after we beat them.

Doolan's approach seems to be just to attack the division we're in and give teams no respect with not much regard to tactical intricacy.

This has worked in the sense that we're comfortably in the play-off positions and, unlike under McCall, there aren't many games where we look like we could play all day without scoring regardless of how shite the opposition are (see those brutal home defeats to Cove and Hamilton last season).

There's an obvious barrier when we come up against anything resembling top-flight quality, like Dundee United, Hearts, or Joel Nouble yesterday.

On balance, I'm happy with our lot just now. Between the Old Firm and VAR, top flight football is shite anyway.

5 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Dools is still new to this. 

Tactically nieve. He needs to learn and fast. Not saying get rid but a couple more years if no improvement then off you pop.

Anyone disagrees they are just happy to sit in the championship.

Sorry but I don't agree with you totally personally I don't want to be sitting in the championship but I think dools is doing a decent job at the moment, he does at very least realise his mistakes in management & admits fwiw not a lot of managers own up to that, so that tells me he will learn from his mistakes.

On another note would rather have another one of the usual championship merry go round managers or someone who actually feels for the club & is willing to learn his trade within the club?

Outwith the usual "managers" at this level I firmly believe our club would do the easy option & install big Brian as manager so there is no gain to getting rid of Dools unless things go drastically wrong

Healthy dose of perspective

Clearly still learning and it’s maddening we aren’t more robust defensively but this is a frankly decent record for a rookie manager in their first year of management.

Beaten this point to death and past a certain point it'll lose its merits, but we lost multiple key players after the playoffs so as backed up by the above, I'd still maintain that Doolan is doing well.

Legit was expecting to be closer to the relegation playoff than where we are now & we pumped County out the cup to help give Derek Adams a firm GIRUY.

Also think he's managing some of the younger players well, clearly trusts Stanway as a regular & he's not afraid to give minutes to a few others. There's the odd question mark over things like not getting the best out of Dowds, signing Wes McDonald (possibly Luke McBeth but that's presumably a low-risk punt) and his use of subs tbf, but especially in comparison to, say, a Caldwellesque jobber or McCall losing the dressing room he's shown enough thus far to keep the faith.

Edit: this game remains one of the weirdest to me under McCall, and I'm convinced there was something up behind the scenes - don't think Doolan is abrasive enough for something like this to happen.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-fixture/partick-thistle-v-hamilton-academical-28th-january-2023/

No senior players on the subs bench then lost the next game 1-0 to cove with Graham, Muirhead, Tiffoney and Brownlie all on the bench...

On 11/02/2024 at 09:58, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Think we can all feel it before it's even checked, but in the last 10 years of competitive action it's 36 defeats from winning positions and 24 wins from losing positions.

46 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Think we can all feel it before it's even checked, but in the last 10 years of competitive action it's 36 defeats from winning positions and 24 wins from losing positions.

How many 2 goal leads have we given up and how many 2 goal deficits have we turned round in that same timeframe? Not counting e.g. the 3-4 Raith game where we did overturn a 2 goal lead, only to still go on and lose, just final scores

Apart from Saturday & Dingwall, can remember Raith this season, Cove and Dundee last year (we finished 6 points behind Dundee and gave up a 2-0 lead with 30 minutes to go to lose 3-2 which is a 6 point swing!!!), losing 3-2 at Cappielow under Caldwell.

The only one I can remember the other way was the 2-2 East Fife game in the league one covid season where Tiffoney scored in the 96th minute and pretty much saved McCall's job.

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there will be more on both sides.

The one season I can remember us having a lot of comebacks and late goals was the Dick Campbell season 05/06 but I suppose you have to be losing to come back in the first place...

Edited by Fuctifano

50 minutes ago, The Thistle Archive said:

I feel like the former happened almost every other week under Alan Archibald - but that was in the top tier for the most part. 

3 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I feel like the former happened almost every other week under Alan Archibald - but that was in the top tier for the most part. 

Someone worked it out and showed the league table if games had finished on 80 mins. We would have come 2nd I think. That season was wild for the amount of late goals we conceded.

I think Doolan is doing great and I would much prefer us to keep the manager for years rather than chopping and changing when things aren't ideal.

@Fuctifano Ha, a tricky business, with the caveat that we're relying on our sequencing entries to be spot-on and one error was spotted in running this query... didn't go to the bother of considering draws...

4 of our 2 goal leads have been overturned in the last 10 years...

23.02.2019 Ross County [h] L2-4 (SPFL Championship - game 25)
23.08.2019 Greenock Morton [a] L2-3 (SPFL Championship - game 3)
05.11.2022 Dundee [h] L2-3 (SPFL Championship - game 14)
10.02.2024 Livingston [h] L2-3 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)

... by contrast, you need to rewind to April 2006 to find the last time we came from 2 down to win (yes, happened a few times in the DC era)...

29.04.2006 Dumbarton [a] W3-2 (SFL Second Division - game 36)

5 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

@Fuctifano Ha, a tricky business, with the caveat that we're relying on our sequencing entries to be spot-on and one error was spotted in running this query... didn't go to the bother of considering draws...

4 of our 2 goal leads have been overturned in the last 10 years...

23.02.2019 Ross County [h] L2-4 (SPFL Championship - game 25)
23.08.2019 Greenock Morton [a] L2-3 (SPFL Championship - game 3)
05.11.2022 Dundee [h] L2-3 (SPFL Championship - game 14)
10.02.2024 Livingston [h] L2-3 (Scottish Cup 5th Round)

... by contrast, you need to rewind to April 2006 to find the last time we came from 2 down to win (yes, happened a few times in the DC era)...

29.04.2006 Dumbarton [a] W3-2 (SFL Second Division - game 36)

Went through it myself for draws, so we have Raith this year, Cove last year, Dundee Utd (of course they're on any PTFC related list of bad shit) in 15/16 in a post-split game that went 3-1 to 3-3 in the last 5 minutes and Ross County 3-1 to 3-3 in 13/14.

On the Thistle comeback side there's the East Fife game I mentioned in 20/21, a 2-2 draw with Dunfermline at Firhill in 18/19 and a 3-3 draw with Hamilton in 14/15 which probably needs an asterisk as we came back from 0-2 to 3-2, then lost a 94th minute equaliser so it didn't feel like much of a comeback at full time.

So that's nine 2 goal leads lost since 2013/14 and three where we've came back from 2 down to avoid defeat.

I'm off to a The Spartans match next month with a Dumbarton supporting mate of mine from down south. I was telling him that my loyalties may be somewhat divided as The Spartans have our boy in goal, not to mention Callum Booth and James Craigen, whom I described to him as the scooter of the most important Thistle goal this century.

As we're not far off 25% of the way through, what would people's Thistle Eleven of the century so far be?

Graham and Doolan up front are nailed on, but for the rest things aren't as clear. Should one go by their overall time at Thistle, or could you separate the good seasons from the bad for players like Barton, Osman, Keown, Dumbuya and numerous others who went to shite? Would it be fair to leave out, or include, future Scotland players like Hendry who only made a handful of appearances for us? What about guys who were great for us in the third tier but obviously lesser players than jobbers we had in the Premiership?

The parameters need clarified before I can feel confident in posting my team of eleven Henoc Mukendis.

27 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm off to a The Spartans match next month with a Dumbarton supporting mate of mine from down south. I was telling him that my loyalties may be somewhat divided as The Spartans have our boy in goal, not to mention Callum Booth and James Craigen, whom I described to him as the scooter of the most important Thistle goal this century.

As we're not far off 25% of the way through, what would people's Thistle Eleven of the century so far be?

Graham and Doolan up front are nailed on, but for the rest things aren't as clear. Should one go by their overall time at Thistle, or could you separate the good seasons from the bad for players like Barton, Osman, Keown, Dumbuya and numerous others who went to shite? Would it be fair to leave out, or include, future Scotland players like Hendry who only made a handful of appearances for us? What about guys who were great for us in the third tier but obviously lesser players than jobbers we had in the Premiership?

The parameters need clarified before I can feel confident in posting my team of eleven Henoc Mukendis.

Not sure about the whole team but the stick ons for me would be Cerny, Lindsay, Erskine, Bannigan, Doolan, and Graham. Probably Lawless and ATS too.