The Partick Thistle thread

I see you guys have signed Max Melbourne.  He was a bit part player with us last season.  Solid signing for this level.  I'd rather him than Sean Kelly, but I'd rather I played at left back than Sean Kelly, and I can't play.

Should be a decent signing for this level but two different managers last season decided they would rather play right-footed centre-back Marcus Fraser at left-back instead of Max Melbourne, so take from that what you want.

Good player defensively.  He is athletic, can hold his own and he doesn't get done on 1v1s.   Martin Boyle was one of the Prem's form players in 2018 but Melbourne kept him very quiet and got him subbed.  He has a long throw (with an entertaining twisting technique).  He's not confident enough in the final third, yet, but I think that will come with experience because he has the technique.

The reason he didn't play more, IMO, is because County were loaded with centre-backs by the end o f the season.  Marcus Fraser was shifted over to the left for the sake of getting Fraser's experience into the team, at Melbourne's expense, rather than being a decision on ability alone.

I'm a bit gutted he isn't back at County tbh, but I need to see more of Stelios to make more of a judgement on that.

18 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Cheers for the replies chaps.

Just curious as he's been linked with us (mainly on here it has to be said).

There were also rumours that he'd signed a pre contract with St Johnstone (obviously not true now).

Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Tbf the rumours linking us began from one guys ITK post on our forum about four months ago. 

We likely sounded him out but its unlikely we offered him anything, Kennedy seems to have been the number one target for us. 

37 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It's either cover or it suggests we might be playing Penrice in midfield

Yup. I still see Penrice as Bannigan's eventual successor. 

Just now, BillyAnchor said:

Generally I am a glass have empty kind of guy but I almost see the glass as empty this season.  About 6 teams at least seem ahead of us.

I wouldn't go that far. Im sure Partick will be in the top four. 

2 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Are we still going for Sena?

From the Pollock website it seems that he is signed with them for this season. 

How do transfers go from the juniors? I assume that we would have to pay some cash?

"Senegalese defender/midfielder Mohamed, more commonly known as ‘Sena’, regarded as a potential sweeper as he develops, was briefly on the books of Rangers after leaving the Jimmy Johnstone Soccer Academy and initially joined Lok on a dual contract basis from the Pollok United Soccer Academy, and after a few months away from the club, he returned as a Pollok player in January 2018. It was announced in April 2018 that Sena had signed up again for the 2018-19 season."