Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

Best part was probably Naveed talking about his tadger still working even if Meena was to pop her clogs.

You can see that most episodes this season have a good storyline and the intention is there, it's just the execution that’s terrible. Agree with others, they have to give it up. They’re trying too hard now IMO.

Wasn't great of course but a few laughs at that one.

Jack and Victor jumping in the river and Boaby's face at the car window got me. I even thought the undertaker's cameo was decent in this one - went well with the scene.

Less said about fuckin Mick the better. Making up a whole crappy subplot plot for him so he can save the day at the end.

Special mention to Tam buying one cup of coffee between two

Watched all of the old episodes last week on my days off work just to relive the good times. Found myself binge watching them because one episode wasn’t enough to watch and then after watching another one just made you want to watch one more then one more after that and another after that and that’s what a fantastic programme makes you do. Just can’t work out how Greg and Ford went from writing such amazing episodes and had us all laughing in each one to what they have produced in the last 2 series’s. They would even make Chris the postie who was an excellent cameo character look rubbish nowadays. 

8 hours ago, Antlion said:

I enjoyed it apart from Mick. They should give that tiresome c**t his own show, to keep the hard-of-thinking happy, and keep Still Game centred on its classic characters. At least then there would be an excuse for having him in every episode. A full half hour of Mick making Myra-from-Episodes gurning laughs should appeal to the morons.

Don't give them any more fucking ideas.

Thought Craig Ferguson was good, and the side story with Boaby's driving had potential, but much like every episode this series, the whole thing just didn't deliver.

Thought the first half was alright and they had set it up for a very good ending. As usual though the last part was woeful.
Even thought Mick was ok in the first few parts he was in for once. Again as the episode went on it just got worse and worse.

The “yewtree pish” bit is the only time I’ve smirked at a Mick joke.

It just isn't that funny anymore.  I'd rather have fewer but better laughs rather than trying to shoe horn a joke into every sentence.  

Victor's character has went drastically downhill. Not even remotely believable as a pensioner.  HD really hasnt helped the show either.

Comedy is a personal choice - what one finds funny another abhors.  Perhaps our expectations have been too high.  It must be difficult to be consistantly funny over the amount of episodes they have done. Can you name another comedy that was consistant over so many series? 

Fawlty Towers only ran for 2 series,  Father Ted was cut short due to a death.  2 Doors Down dropped of in the last series.

As a few exmples Benidorm became shite after series 3, Were Hi De Hi,  Allo Allo and Are You Being Served as good as they had been initially when they reached series 5 or 6?

As I said comedy is what one person finds hilarious but another doesn't. There have been a few good laughs but I think the general concensous is Mick should be nowhere near the show. If  Greg or Ford were reading the comments here they would probably would be reluctant to make any more but I think efforts should be made for a quality Xmas special.

Each to their own.

One thing I’ve noticed about this series is that the jokes all seem really predictable. I don’t remember this being the case in the older series - but the punchlines can be seen coming a mile off.

That said, I genuinely think this could have been a great episode without Mick and the obvious Mick denouement. 

1 hour ago, Moonglum25 said:

Father Ted was cut short due to a death.

It wasn't cut short, they were planning to end it anyway. They had to change the final scene, which was Ted out on the ledge, but they weren't going to make any more.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

It wasn't cut short, they were planning to end it anyway. They had to change the final scene, which was Ted out on the ledge, but they weren't going to make any more.

Pretty sure there was another series planned but it was twenty years ago so my memory may be playing tricks on me. 

Fact, Dermot Morgan actually died the evening after he filmed what was to be his final ever scenes, so sad.

It's gone a bit too slapstick now.  Was it Series 4 onwards it went to a UK-wide audience, rather than Scotland only?   It seemed to change a bit then too.

Whatever happened to Tam's wife and baby?  I can't remember if it was talked about at the start of S7?  Certainly nothing about it in this series.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

It's gone a bit too slapstick now.  Was it Series 4 onwards it went to a UK-wide audience, rather than Scotland only?   It seemed to change a bit then too.

Whatever happened to Tam's wife and baby?  I can't remember if it was talked about at the start of S7?  Certainly nothing about it in this series.

His wife was mentioned in the passing in the episode where he was wooing the old rich woman.

Mentioned last week but no mention of the bairn.