Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

This might sound a bit "yer da" but it was nice to see the players actually look liked they wanted to play for the club, flying about the pitch not giving Hearts a second to breathe.

It prompts the question, are they a bunch of shitebags in general or had Hammell poisoned the well that much?

I appreciate it's a different formation so can't compare but the running KVV is putting in now - doing all kinds of dirty work you'd never have associated with him - to accommodate the relatively static obika is insane and he's not the only one.

Marked difference in managers style. Game plan set out from the start from Kettlewell, no panicked triple substitution to change fortune, as you got with Hammell. Hard to break down today, great performances from Hammell signings, maybe would have got a tune out of them if he’d been allowed to stay, but couldn’t take that risk. It’s KettleBells job unless other candidates have talked a bigger game. 

5 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It prompts the question, are they a bunch of shitebags in general or had Hammell poisoned the well that much?

I appreciate it's a different formation so can't compare but the running KVV is putting in now - doing all kinds of dirty work you'd never have associated with him - to accommodate the relatively static obika is insane and he's not the only one.

I think the last management duo carry the can in all honesty. They flung them under the bus at every opportunity. 

35 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Realistically if we hold on here and win the next 2 we are probably safe- why upset the apple cart?

That’ll put us on 32 and probably need another 4 points but with 4 more games to play against the other battlers you have a lot of hope of getting enough.

Jack and Victor unbeaten run isn’t on the cards is it? Top 6 too much to ask?

I think our terrible run was as much due to a lack of confidence than anything. I don't believe our players downed tools or didn't try. What did happen was hammell trying to be too clever and not playing to our squads strengths. He wanted to play a certain system, and shoehorned our squad into it. 

We had midfielders who were outnumbered, and had no one to play the ball to when they had it. We also had full backs who had no cover, and center backs that are made of chocolate.

Obika and KVV together is fun. 

At work and just switched my phone on at my teabreak. No idea how the game panned out as I've not had a chance to read much back yet, but that's an absolutely tremendous 3pts and as I said last night, massive both in terms of creating a wee gap at the bottom and psychologically going into the next two season defining games.

Put the new manager hunt on ice and let Kettlewell run with it just now. He's getting a tune out of them so it'd be a risk to upset that with further change. Take it a week at a time just now and reassess if the wheels start to come loose again. 

2 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Great team performance. Unless McCann has been utterly outstanding during the interview process it’s Kettlewell until the end of the season for me.

McCann are you mad ? Don’t get fooled by the Kettlewell patter ? NEIL WARNOCK ( 80 YEARS OF AGE ) got a bounce yesterday. In Hollie you must trust.

I'd give it to Kettlewell until June.
If he does well (whatever that is) he then can have it longer.

2 wins in a week. I'm a grown man but this has me on cloud 9 man. It's easy to shrug off defeats, it's better to be buzzing about the fitba.

What a boy Callum Butcher is. I'd keep him in the defence tbh. He talks to his teammates and doesn't mess about. Massive influence on our last two games.

Goss, Spittal and Cornelius great again.
MJ and Furlong brilliant.
Obika is absolutely great fodder for KVV and van Veen is the boy. I like him. I know others don't but I've been a big fan generally.
Credit to Liam Kelly too, Not much to do recently but he's did what's needed well.

KVV seems to have found an extra 5-10% from somewhere but I don't think there's necessarily any malice in it. It's probably harder to motivate yourself to chase down lost causes when you're the team's only goal threat, receiving weird instructions and seeing fucking Connor Shields next to you than when the other 10 know what they're supposed to be doing and you're now playing with a strike partner.

Van Veen reminds me of a 5s player, always got the energy for running forward but not always for tracking back.

He's really benefiting from obika playing close to him so he can pick up the 2nd balls.

Genuinely wonder what we were doing in training with Hammell if it's only taken 2 games to make us look competent again 

35 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I think our terrible run was as much due to a lack of confidence than anything. I don't believe our players downed tools or didn't try. What did happen was hammell trying to be too clever and not playing to our squads strengths. He wanted to play a certain system, and shoehorned our squad into it. 

We had midfielders who were outnumbered, and had no one to play the ball to when they had it. We also had full backs who had no cover, and center backs that are made of chocolate.

Obika and KVV together is fun. 

Aye , certainly didn't help when one of our main tactics was to turn goal kicks into a 3v2 defensive drill .

Thought obika was outstanding today, that could be some partnership.  

That’s the best we’ve been off the ball in a long long time. The players were pressing as a unit and everyone knew exactly who they were meant to be marking. The change to 352 has us looking like a much more balanced side.

That was the first time I’ve seen a lot of the new faces so here’s my thoughts.

Casey and Butcher are a massive upgrade on Lamie and Sol. Both are pretty no nonsense and do plenty of talking to organise. McGinn is fine on the right of a back three.

The wing backs are full of energy and are a great out-ball for us. Max Johnson nicked the ball off people’s toes multiple times.

Goss, Spittal and Dean are much more balanced midfield than we’ve had. I rate Spittal more than a few folk on here/so.

Obika’s hold up play was fine. He occupies defenders and creates space for us to win second balls. Him and KVV will be a handful for defenders. 

Kelly’s kicking is still fucking dreadful but hopefully the clean sheet will give him confidence going forward.

Edited by Gianfranco