Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you didnt want Kettlewell 2 games ago is it wise to want him now?

If you think McCann is a better option then you surely go with that, despite how well youve done.

A decent squad who are now getting the freedom to express themselves in a shape that makes it simple for them. But before long it'll need more than that and im not sure its smart to commit to Kettlewell now considering how things went for him at County.

Tbf, I don't think anyone's arguing for Kettlewell permanently (long term).

It's more a case of if the board are looking at a short term appointment (as has been vaguely suggested) then given the uptick we've seen this week then it probably makes sense not to disrupt that especially with things still in a bit of flux with Burrows away to Aberdeen at the end of the month.

Get all that stuff settled down and revisit towards the end of the season - we've still got Killie (a), County (a), Livi (h) and United (h) before the split so without counting chickens there's a chance we could be safe if those games go to plan.

That would seem like a better point to make a more permanent decision on the manager, with a new CEO in place, rather than when we're fire fighting.

I'd like to think that the board have learned their lesson in rushing into things with the Hammell appointment.

Edited by capt_oats

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I had my suspicions that he'd be a bit gammony from his general vibe but finding out he's been shilling on GB News with Nigel fucking Farage then count me strongly in the "get this c**t so far to f**k" camp.

I suspected gammon but this is far too gammon. Get him to f**k. 

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's more a case of if the board are looking at a short term appointment (as has been vaguely suggested) then given the uptick we've seen this week then it probably makes sense not to disrupt that especially with things still in a bit of flux with Burrows away to Aberdeen at the end of the month.

Get all that stuff settled down and revisit towards the end of the season - we've still got Killie (a), County (a), Livi (h) and United (h) before the split so without counting chickens there's a chance we could be safe if those games go to plan.

That would seem like a better point to make a more permanent decision on the manager, with a new CEO in place, rather than when we're fire fighting.

I'd like to think that the board have learned their lesson in rushing into things with the Hammell appointment.

I think this is where most of the support will certainly land now. 

This time last week we were two weeks away from a potentially do or die double-header not knowing what kettlewell would produce. An expedited process was understandable.

Whether this is a long-term bounce or not who knows but I think taking a breath and going for a guy who's very much 50-50 after these two performances is daft.

If he signs until the end of the season,  it's only a 3 Month Contract. That would give both plenty of time to either ensure a good long term pick is made by the new CEO and board, or allow Kettlewell to prove that he can do it over a long time period. There is still something like 12 games left this season and if we keep this improvement going through all of these games then it certainly gives prevalence to him getting the Role.

Otherwise, if it does start to get rocky, we can always change it. But I assume having Kettlewell in charge will almost assure us safety this season.

What's the worst that can happen.Give him the gig till the end of the season.

We get enough new manager bounce to get us out of the shit then things go tits up by which time we're safe and we look for a new manager at the end of the season.

Alternatively he proves that he's not just a flash in the pan and results and performances continue to go the way they are till the end of the season and if the board think hes the man we give him a 2 year deal or look for someone new.

3 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Otherwise, if it does start to get rocky, we can always change it. But I assume having Kettlewell in charge will almost assure us safety this season.

I don't want to piss on the chips but that's a big leap off two games. United came back from the WC break to tank Killie and County yet look at them now...

The next pair are huge. If they go well we're approaching safety, if they don't with Rangers and Easter Road next we're likely right back in the mix.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Problem with short term, to the end of the season, management is whos planning for next season?

Dont start planning now you fall behind. 

Any new manager would need to be able to work with the plans made otherwise you fall even further behind.

Short term fixes often easily become long term problems.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, bunglebonce said:

I am naturally delighted for him, but FFS calm the beans Ketts. I don’t want County 8+ points behind in a fortnight. 

Don’t worry, we have agents in Paisley and a sleeper team about to be inserted in Aberdeen.

Stay clam Blue Venison, the bananas always ripen in the moonlight 😉

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Problem with short term, to the end of the season, management is whos planning for next season?

Any new manager would need to be able to work with the plans made otherwise you fall even further behind.

That's a fair point but depending on the break up details it's possible we're currently paying three guys to be manager, if we lose a little in planning to make sure we're not hitting four in December I can live with that.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

That's a fair point but depending on the break up details it's possible we're currently paying three guys to be manager, if we lose a little in planning to make sure we're not hitting four in December I can live with that.

A fair point 

The difficulty with that plan is, whats the contingency if it doesn't work with Kettlewell?

You'd have to work off the basis that anyone who's interested in the job has already been in touch, and the other 2 candidates are the most promising from the clubs point of view. We can't go back to them in a months time as they will both rightly tell us to GTF, and then we're left trying to recruit from a group that weren't deemed good enough a month earlier.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sometimes you try and plan for next season and hand out deals to guys you probably shouldn't keep just because they are there. We carried a lot of guys from last season that if you judged the performances hadn't been good enough in the previous 6 months.  Those guys were getting offered deals around this time and then went on to almost shite it right out the top 6.

We have loads of guys signed up for next season and we shouldn't be making additional moves until we know we are going to be in the top flight next season.

Worry about now, not the future.

Excellent performance today all over the park I can’t believe how good Sean Goss is. Certainly be more than happy to see kettlewell stay and take us forward, the way he talks is brilliant simple things of identifying other teams’ weaknesses and you see that on the park then taking advantage of it. 

Would love to see what the man can do with Slattery and get him back to his best like his first 6 months if he can turn Goss into an all action midfielder and pick out perfect passes all game.

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

The difficulty with that plan is, whats the contingency if it doesn't work with Kettlewell?

You'd have to work off the basis that anyone who's interested in the job has already been in touch, and the other 2 candidates are the most promising from the clubs point of view. We can't go back to them in a months time as they will both rightly tell us to GTF, and then we're left trying to recruit from a group that weren't deemed good enough a month earlier.

All very valid points. 

If McCann has interviewed well and impressed the Board and furthermore they believe he is the best person for the longer term. 

Do you bin him because Kettlewell has managed two wins in a row ? As above he may get another gig between now and end of season. 

To be fair it is a risk either way. We could appoint Kettlewell till the end of the season and lose the next two critical games. Then what.

Or we could dish out a 1.5 / 2 year deal to Grant McCann and we also lose games and momentum. 

Hard to know. Would not be averse to Kettlewell till end of season. So far the players have stepped up for him and it is hard to see them not doing so over next few weeks.

But then we don’t have to look to far back to see Hammell win 3 out of his initial 4 games and have us playing good football. 

So in summary who the f*ck knows.