Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Just now, thepundit said:

Maybe there's a club in the Premiership who would have teamed up with Celtic to vote against it? (in Rangers' absence).;.....

yeah, yeah, yeah.........

the supporters of that club are pretty angry about that bag o-shite.

12 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Maybe there's a club in the Premiership who would have teamed up with Celtic to vote against it? (in Rangers' absence).;.....

That was Aberdeen, wasn't it?

Voted to keep the status quo so they could cash in with the additional prize money for finishing 2nd.  Only for Motherwell to score in the last minute of the last game of the season at Pittodrie to delightfully lift the 2nd Place Trophy.

13 minutes ago, Desp said:

Voted to keep the status quo so they could cash in with the additional prize money for finishing 2nd.  Only for Motherwell to score in the last minute of the last game of the season at Pittodrie to delightfully lift the 2nd Place Trophy.

Foul on the keeper etc....

nah, we got what we deserved that day. kudos to Well.

right , off topic, back to Sevco's  upcoming horrors of 2018-19

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Is that right ? For the sake of what they thought would be  a few seasons of nose in the trough, Aberdeen gave away the chance to permanently restructure the SPFL share-out in a way that could have narrowed the historical gap between the OF and the rest ? Deary me. Talk about short-sighted.

3 hours ago, Desp said:

Only for the second place prize money to be vastly reduced the following season.

Oh and it's probably just a coincidence that the sheep have received a lot of loan players from celtic since then.

Bought and sold for green n grey gold...

Only for the second place prize money to be vastly reduced the following season.
Oh and it's probably just a coincidence that the sheep have received a lot of loan players from celtic since then.

tin3.jpg

A lot?
Christie and ...

3 hours ago, Desp said:

Wasn't the first time Aberdeen voted against the wishes of the 'other teams'.

Back in 2012 after Rangers started in the 4th tier there was a vote to change the 11-1 voting system to 9-3.

2 teams voted against it. Why Aberdeen did this is a mystery.

23 minutes ago, bennett said:

If “one” equals “a lot”, then you’re spot on.

Prize money vote was just common-or-garden self interest that Scottish Football is powered by - but the vote to keep the 11-1 was *incredibly* short sighted and really quite unfathomable as there is literally only 2 teams who can benefit from that arrangement in the long term. I'm sure a poll of Aberdeen supporters would have been near-unanimous in wanting rid of it too - baffling stuff really.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Prize money vote was just common-or-garden self interest that Scottish Football is powered by - but the vote to keep the 11-1 was *incredibly* short sighted and really quite unfathomable as there is literally only 2 teams who can benefit from that arrangement in the long term. I'm sure a poll of Aberdeen supporters would have been near-unanimous in wanting rid of it too - baffling stuff really.

They didn't appear to be too upset over it.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Would be interesting to hear Aberdeen's explanation. I'm trying to think of a logical justification and I can't think of anything.

Maybe they thought they were going to take Rangers' place as one of the big two? Seems unlikely as they would have been well aware Rangers would eventually be in the Premiership with a much higher budget than them. But what other reason is there other than a turkey voting for Christmas?

I was sure we had moved away from 11/1 voting power? Where are people seeing it stayed 11/1.

I thought the voting structure was now 9/3, 17/5, 32/10 for a vote to be passed. All 3 have to be met?

Could have completely made that up to be fair.

As far as I recall Milne's excuse was that the change in voting system wasn't just with respect to the distribution of prize money, but for all aspects of the leagues finances. If I recall correctly he mentioned the potential for home gates to be split 50-50 with the away team, which obviously is an abhorrent idea to him, and would have required 4 teams to block it under the new system. However I remember working out briefly at the time that the league average gate that season was higher than Aberdeen's, and indeed the only teams who would have made a financial loss were Celtic, Rangers, and (minorly) Hearts.

That said Milne has always had his tongue right up the ugly sisters. I have absolutely no doubt he would have voted to catapult Sevco up into the Premier league had it not been for the threats of boycotts from the Dons fans.

Sevfer speculation.

"SunSport can reveal Gers have agreed a price in the region of £8.5million to land the Brighton stopper ( Connor Goldson)

It’s also understood they hope to complete the loan signing of Liverpool attacking midfielder Ovie Ejaria tomorrow"

Edited by bennett
Poor c and p skills

10 minutes ago, bennett said:

Sevfer speculation.

"SunSport can reveal Gers have agreed a price in the region of £8.5million to land the Brighton stopper ( Connor Goldson)

It’s also understood they hope to complete the loan signing of Liverpool attacking midfielder Ovie Ejaria tomorrow"

Have you mistyped that or have Rangers gone full Rangers?

Was widely reported last week Brighton only wanted £3.5m for Goldson.