The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

7 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

I've been watching East Kilbride now for 6 or 7 seasons.

We've came up against some brilliant teams these past few years, kelty, Spartans, bonnyrigg and in the playoffs cove rangers.

This year we are the team to beat and it's obvious with the vociferous comments on here regarding our team, signings and management.

Some of the crap directed at mk is laughable, more often than not from people that have never met the guy.

I'd be be surprised if any fan critical of him would be unhappy if he was appointed manager of their team.

He's always come across as friendly and approachable at east Kilbride. Sorry if this doesn't fit your narrative.

Unfortunately the modern game is about money, spending, money and spending, if you don't realise this you're either a fool or a romanticist.

Yes EK have outspent the rest of the teams in the lowland league, do I feel bad about that? No. Am I frustrated about that, absolutely. We've signed and ditched players before I can even get to know their names.

Do I have influence on that? Absolutely not.

East Kilbride is a massive town with a massive potential. We have fans in strathaven, eaglesham, jackton, Blantyre and surrounding areas, the catchment is huge.

I do think we'll win the league. Will we win a play off against a team like brechin? I don't know.

I do fancy our chances if we do and meet a team like Clyde.

If we do win promotion, i will always without word of a lie watch the lowland league. I think the teams in it, apart from the colts are great clubs and I've enjoyed all my away visits this year. I'm looking forward to cowden this weekend.

Mon the kilby 

Teams will always spend what they can to better their position in the football league and any fans team that has that luxury of a bigger budget than most would gladly enjoy the ride it's the same from the top to the bottom, EK have always been there or there abouts and i personally hope they do get up to keep the pathway to league football flowing 

Getting out the LL is going to get more difficult over time so will be money well spent in the long run as League 2 teams are now beginning to realise they better get their shit together or it's down they go 

on the upside the LL is turning into a great league with ambitious teams and fallen league teams and shows an 18 team league is the way to go imo playing each other  twice instead of this 4 times a season pish 

3 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

We've came up against some brilliant teams these past few years, kelty, Spartans, bonnyrigg and in the playoffs cove rangers.

This year we are the team to beat and it's obvious with the vociferous comments on here regarding our team, signings and management.

Some of the crap directed at mk is laughable, more often than not from people that have never met the guy.

I'd be be surprised if any fan critical of him would be unhappy if he was appointed manager of their team.

He's always come across as friendly and approachable at east Kilbride. Sorry if this doesn't fit your narrative.

Unfortunately the modern game is about money, spending, money and spending, if you don't realise this you're either a fool or a romanticist.

Yes EK have outspent the rest of the teams in the lowland league, do I feel bad about that? No. Am I frustrated about that, absolutely. We've signed and ditched players before I can even get to know their names.

East Kilbride is a massive town with a massive potential. We have fans in strathaven, eaglesham, jackton, Blantyre and surrounding areas, the catchment is huge.

I do think we'll win the league. Will we win a play off against a team like brechin? I don't know.

If we do win promotion, i will always without word of a lie watch the lowland league. I think the teams in it, apart from the colts are great clubs and I've enjoyed all my away visits this year. I'm looking forward to cowden this weekend.

Mon the kilby 

It wasn’t a personal dig at you 😃, my post also wasn’t  framed as a “narrative” it was merely asking some questions. 

The issue fans have with MK, in my opinion, is the numerous social media posts telling us all about the huge injury list he has, when in reality every team suffers from that, but not all teams can go out and splash money on SPFL players to replace them.

There is undoubtedly jealousy from a lot of fans and teams, but if you do your talking on the pitch then there is no need to do any off the pitch.

3 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Mon the kilby 

The crap MK gets is his own fault. You don't have to meet the guy personally to know that his self-made, incredibly well nurtured, public persona is that of a plank. Personally I would hate it if Talbot took him, regardless of how much of his own dough he put in to maintain his ego.

As for the rest of your comments, good luck with your ambitions. League winners should be promoted automatically, not be involved in two play-offs.. Also agree that the LL now looks a more attractive proposition.

Hope you see your team win but don't try to sell MK to us. He tries hard enough to do that himself...not very successfully.

5 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

I must admit I have warmed a little bit to Mick in recent times.

My views at the start of the season were based round your game at Gala in the late summer that I was at.  EK absolutely pounded Gala, but even when the score was 5-1 (going on about 10) Mick was up and down the touchline in an overly theatrical manner like it was tied in the last minute of a cup final. Maybe he was playing a bit to the crowd behind him in the stand.

He always seems polite with folks on Twitter, even when they are trying to get a rise out of him (I might have been guilty of that on one occasion 🤔) and comes across quite well.

As for how good a manager he is, who really knows given he seems to be blessed with money following him everywhere he goes.  Would he do as good a job with Strollers as Gary Jardine has with the budget CSS have? It impossible to measure how good a manager he really is, other than things like whether his players and staff like him and rate him as a coach.

Edited by Cowdenleith

7 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

My views at the start of the season were based round your game at Gala in the late summer that I was at.  EK absolutely pounded Gala, but even when the score was 5-1 (going on about 10) Mick was up and down the touchline in an overly theatrical manner like it was tied in the last minute of a cup final. Maybe he was playing a bit to the crowd behind him in the stand.

He always seems polite with folks on Twitter, even when they are trying to get a rise out of him (I might have been guilty of that on one occasion 🤔) and comes across quite well.

As for how good a manager he is, who really knows given he seems to be blessed with money following him everywhere he goes.  Would he do as good a job with Strollers as Gary Jardine has with the budget CSS have? It impossible to measure how good a manager he really is, other than things like whether his players and staff like him and rate him as a coach.

I've never met Mick, but I've got family and pals who have - and who have played against his teams, and they were all really positive about him as a guy. He's good natured, engaging and passionate. Just generally a people person I think. My dad and him had a good chat when he was at Darvel and my brother was at Clydebank before the game, and he said he wasn't at all like he expected - and certainly not a Billy Big Baws type.

I think the EK fans on here seem like a good bunch, and there's no doubt that A) They are unfortunate not have been promoted before and B) EK is a town that should have an SPFL football team with a decent support.

But - to paraphrase Sister Michael from Derry Girls - EK, you will go far in life, but you will not be liked.

Mick's Darvel team weren't liked. Cove weren't liked as they brought in superstars and bought their way up the pyramid. And I don't think Kelty were flavour of the month either; albeit they do have an SPFL size following and a terrific ground, which is something Cove and EK don't have in their favour.

I find the whole approach this season really scattergun. It's clearly unsustainable to turnover a squad every few months, and if EK can get up then I'll find it fascinating to see how Mick recruits when he has transfer windows to deal with. The calibre of player needed for League Two will also cost a fair whack more, and (from the outside looking in) it's easy to compare Edinburgh City to EK. Large catchment areas, small supports, plenty of money. But when those money men pull out, lose a bit of interest or realise that (at whatever level) they are putting in more than they planned for limited success then it appears (again as an outsider) that the club will find itself in a sticky situation with a small core support.

5 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Never met him so I wouldn't pass judgement, EK were spending big buck long before him and would have done so this season if someone else was in charge.

Only putting themselves under more pressure. You would've thought after last season, going all-in on 2 x 180min games of football is a dangerous game to play. Brechin and "Club 42" will be a lot tougher than Tranent were last season. 

12 hours ago, To B or not B said:

It wasn’t a personal dig at you 😃, my post also wasn’t  framed as a “narrative” it was merely asking some questions. 

The issue fans have with MK, in my opinion, is the numerous social media posts telling us all about the huge injury list he has, when in reality every team suffers from that, but not all teams can go out and splash money on SPFL players to replace them.

There is undoubtedly jealousy from a lot of fans and teams, but if you do your talking on the pitch then there is no need to do any off the pitch.

It wasn't taken as a dig mate z u just thought I'd add my tuppence worth 👍🏻

11 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

The crap MK gets is his own fault. You don't have to meet the guy personally to know that his self-made, incredibly well nurtured, public persona is that of a plank. Personally I would hate it if Talbot took him, regardless of how much of his own dough he put in to maintain his ego.

As for the rest of your comments, good luck with your ambitions. League winners should be promoted automatically, not be involved in two play-offs.. Also agree that the LL now looks a more attractive proposition.

Hope you see your team win but don't try to sell MK to us. He tries hard enough to do that himself...not very successfully.

I'm not selling mk to anyone, I don't do social media, too old for that. I'm also old enough to know that if you think someone is who they are by their social media persona then well...

10 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Is there any movement on the plans as announced in 2017 then 2020 to build a proper ground for EK?

kpark is perfectly fine for the level ek are playing at just now. That wont change until/if they ever gain promotion.

43 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

I'm not selling mk to anyone, I don't do social media, too old for that. I'm also old enough to know that if you think someone is who they are by their social media persona then well...

If someone wants to portray themselves on social media in a way that they're not then that says a lot about said person

23 hours ago, To B or not B said:

I am sure EK fans don’t give a toss what anyone else thinks, they are just enjoying the endless stream of talent coming through the doors. I am also sure they are hoping for a successful run in the play offs and to eventually land in the promised land. The questions I have are, what if they don’t make it after throwing the kitchen sink at it? Where would that leave MK, who has undoubtedly had at least a league one budget to spend, and  the biggest budget in LL history? Will the owners go again if it goes wrong? 
Personally I think this is their year, but if it’s not there are huge questions to answer.

The simple answer is they will go again. This isn’t new for east kilbride. They have been throwing money at this for many years now. And have been very close. 
This year does seem like they are pushing boat out more than previous seasons, but i honestly dont think they are in relation to the standard of the league now. 
Levels have been raised year on year so the standard of players has to if you want to continue to compete. But they have always brought in players, good seasoned pros from leagues above, right from there first season. 
Its maybe more highlighted now with the profile of the manager and the circus he seems to bring along with him. 
It remains to be seen if they will manage it this year. Strong team on paper. But teams on paper don’t win anything. As i’ve witnessed more than i would have liked.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Only putting themselves under more pressure. You would've thought after last season, going all-in on 2 x 180min games of football is a dangerous game to play. Brechin and "Club 42" will be a lot tougher than Tranent were last season. 

I don’t get what tranent have to do with east kilbride last season? Other than finishing a place above them by a point in 4th place? 🤷🏻

10 hours ago, johnmc80 said:

kpark is perfectly fine for the level ek are playing at just now. That wont change until/if they ever gain promotion.

It was a community trust initiative wasn't it, not really linked to the club? Stadium was going to be built from arranged funding as a community resource (gyms, event halls, attract concerts etc), the infrastructure was built which was part of the reason for dualling Greenhills Road and they even put directional signs to "community stadium" around Calderglen, Langlands & Greenhills. I know COVID got in the way but seems strange not one bit of work has been done, even with starting a car park to keep the planning permission live.

13 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

It was a community trust initiative wasn't it, not really linked to the club? Stadium was going to be built from arranged funding as a community resource (gyms, event halls, attract concerts etc), the infrastructure was built which was part of the reason for dualling Greenhills Road and they even put directional signs to "community stadium" around Calderglen, Langlands & Greenhills. I know COVID got in the way but seems strange not one bit of work has been done, even with starting a car park to keep the planning permission live.

It is a community trust project. But ekfc and ek community trust work hand in hand.  
The starting of work is probably exactly what you have stated, to keep planning permission alive.  
Im not in the know in any way, but i cant see it being ready any time soon. 
Its went very quiet on the subject.

50 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Got most of those facilities at brancumhall ?