Old Firm Colts in L2

Done.

Disappointing it isn't composed neutrally - citing Germany and Spain (and "only") within questions is leading and unnecessary.

Also they will get a lower response rate to the question on how far up any 'B' team should be permitted if they are allowed. As it suggests you shouldn't answer if you said No or Don't Know to having them, in previous question.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Also some interesting points from the blurb:

Colt teams would “ordinarily” begin life in the Lowland League or Highland League.

What's the definition of "ordinarily"?

Colt teams would be for Under-21 players although it is “possible” a maximum of two over-age players might also be eligible

So U20s has become U21s + maybe over-agers?

It’s expected that Colt teams would have their own dedicated squad lists. Parent clubs would be entitled to loan players to their Colt teams.

So not exactly dedicated squads then - given scope of development loans/emergency transfers/triallists etc.?

The Development League would become a Reserve League. It’s “envisaged” that participation would be “optional” meaning a club could choose to operate a Colt team rather than a reserve team

So development of players across peer-group may suffer?

Pros - Potential to create further ventilation within the league pyramid.

Anyone?

Cons - Colt teams may occupy promotion places which would otherwise go to non-Colt teams. Of course, the reverse is true in terms of relegation places.

No, by definition 'extra' non-B teams would've been relegated previously.

It's pretty clear that it's far from neutral. We should put pressure on individual clubs too... that seemed to work previously when the subject of parachuting the new Rangers straight into the top/second tier raised its head.

Not sure how to do that, though?

Interestingly I think only one Premier club needs to vote against to stop it going through. There must be one cool club up there who won't want to c**t the leagues up?

I just can't see the colts sides progressing very far if they have to keep 9 u21s playing every week. They are going to have to rebuild their squads every couple of years as players go over the age limit....or am I missing something? Will the league change from 2x overage to 3, then 4 etc, so that the big teams can keep building their squads?

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It's pretty clear that it's far from neutral. We should put pressure on individual clubs too... that seemed to work previously when the subject of parachuting the new Rangers straight into the top/second tier raised its head.

Not sure how to do that, though?

Interestingly I think only one Premier club needs to vote against to stop it going through. There must be one cool club up there who won't want to c**t the leagues up?

Well Anne Budge thinks we have too many clubs so given the prospect of adding 42 new ones, she will obviously vote for it. 

51 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Interestingly I think only one Premier club needs to vote against to stop it going through.

Not quite. It would need support from 11/12 Premiership clubs, 17/22 Premiership & Championship clubs, and 32/42 SPFL clubs overall.

I'm guessing 'further ventilation within the league pyramid' is marketing speak for 'more cases of movement through promotion & relegation' i.e. more clubs get relegated from SPFL2 if 'B' teams win playoff and get promoted.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Not quite. It would need support from 11/12 Premiership clubs, 17/22 Premiership & Championship clubs, and 32/42 SPFL clubs overall.

I'm guessing 'further ventilation within the league pyramid' is marketing speak for 'more cases of promotion & relegation' i.e. more clubs get relegated from SPFL2 if 'B' teams win playoff and get promoted.

So it only needs 11 clubs to f**k it up? Great. You can mark Arbroath down as a definite already.

Now, what other 10 clubs will join us? [emoji4]

I'm scared to ask our chairman which way we'll vote. Not because there's any doubt about the answer, but because it might turn out that he proposed the idea in the first place  :shutup

So it only needs 11 clubs to f**k it up? Great. You can mark Arbroath down as a definite already.

Now, what other 10 clubs will join us? [emoji4]

I think the fan owned clubs will f*ck this pretty easily. Might even do at the first hurdle if Motherwell and Hearts aren't for it. Hearts haven't said they'll put a team in but Hibs are considering it so it might encourage Hearts to say no.

no it doesn't

How does it not? You're saying it's xenophobic to impose the same rules on a club team for their nation as it is for the national team. Other leagues and clubs within Europe still have similar systems in place so it's not xenophobic in the slightest.

My point is we haven't qualified for a major trophy in 20 years. That rule got thrown out 22 years ago. Time to look at bringing it back and pushing Scottish teams to develop Scottish players. Would be xenophobic saying they can't sign foreign players but that's not the rule.

My point is we haven't qualified for a major trophy in 20 years. That rule got thrown out 22 years ago. Time to look at bringing it back and pushing Scottish teams to develop Scottish players. Would be xenophobic saying they can't sign foreign players but that's not the rule.

Clubs need to do more to develop young Scottish players. Not just the old firm to blame for filling our game with mediocre foreign journeymen. Ross County an example of a club that fills it ranks with unheard of, foreign diddies, most of whom get jettisoned before the seasons end. Even the policy of trawling the English conference etc adopted by Motherwell and ICT to name 2. Surely there must be better homegrown talent that could be given a chance.