Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Maybe on a personal level, but not political.

He will know that any shite that sticks to Murrell also sticks to the entire "Indy" movement (wrong conclusion, I know but most people are thick as 2 short planks).

Alba is a party for fannies already and wont be helped by this.

Oh FFS!  For years we've had to endure prating,  Nationalist sanctimony about rescuing innocent wee Scotland from the cesspit of Westminster corruption.  At how the New Brigadoon of rainbows and unicorns will be free from the stench of Tory venality. 

Turns out that your mob can out-Tory the Tories when it comes to mendacity and that, "the entire "Indy" movement" - who were warned about this over years - told us that it was all just Yoon lies and an MI5 fix.  That, "the entire "Indy" movement" should suffer by association is only right and proper.  You are all complicit. 

On a cheerier note, my meme of the day.  Simple yet funny.

selfie.thumb.jpeg.c9b420b31f90387aeb019fa228df8a5d.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Is it normal for the police to arrest someone then not charge them?  Surely they would have had sufficient grounds to arrest him.

I think you can arrest/detain someone on the suspicion of committing a crime. The whole Andrew Tate thing that's going on is a high profile example of that. Dunno how similar our crime laws are to Romania's mind you. 

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Turns out that your mob can out-Tory the Tories when it comes to mendacity and that, "the entire "Indy" movement" - who were warned about this over years - told us that it was all just Yoon lies and an MI5 fix. 

Of course, if this was true then you would be right.

But it isnt, and you are not.

Happy to help, let me know if you continue to struggle with big words and things.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Of course, if this was true then you would be right.

But it isnt, and you are not.

Happy to help, let me know if you continue to struggle with big words and things.

Good stuff, Leafy.  On the day that Plod Scotland put up a tent in the Murrells' garden to see if that's where they buried Indy, it's good to see you trying to crack a joke.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Is meme of the day going to be a thing you do from now on?

I'm sure it would be popular.  And, right now, there's a lot to choose from.

33 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Is it normal for the police to arrest someone then not charge them?  Surely they would have had sufficient grounds to arrest him.

Happens all the time for various different offences. They might suspect him of committing a crime hence the arrest but after interviews/further investigation they may no longer suspect him and he could be released without charge. 

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

Happens all the time for various different offences. They might suspect him of committing a crime hence the arrest but after interviews/further investigation they may no longer suspect him and he could be released without charge. 

It seems a strange way to go about things (not just talking about Murrell but more generally).  Do you need to arrest someone to question them under caution?  If so it makes more sense.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It seems a strange way to go about things (not just talking about Murrell but more generally).  Do you need to arrest someone to question them under caution?  If so it makes more sense.

I’m only going by the programs I’ve watched but typically yes I think if you suspect someone of an offence then they need to be interviewed under caution. Seen a couple where someones came in for an interview voluntarily and they’ve been cautioned at the beginning of the interview.

There will be more clued up people on here than me so happy to be corrected. 

9 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

If he has been arrested then he will either be charged or a report sent to the Crown Office.  If they were on a fishing trip looking for evidence then he would have been detained on suspicion of commiting a crime and could only be held for 12 hours (not sure if longer) and then either charged or released.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think it's mainly PR on the part of the police to be seen to be DOING SOMETHING.

There is often a quick arrest in high profile cases, followed two days later by them quietly getting released. (With much smaller headlines.)

9 minutes ago, Elric said:

If he has been arrested then he will either be charged or a report sent to the Crown Office.  If they were on a fishing trip looking for evidence then he would have been detained on suspicion of commiting a crime and could only be held for 12 hours (not sure if longer) and then either charged or released.

It can be extended to 24 hours but only if a senior police officer agrees to this.

The police can release you while they continue investigating the crime.

You can be arrested more than once for the same offence, but your time in custody cannot last longer than 12 hours (or 24 hours as stated above). The police can't add 12 hours each time you are arrested for the same thing.

The only way you can be held longer is under the Prevention of Terrorism Act - up to 7 days - that clearly doesn't apply here.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Section 11 of the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2016 says you can be held in custody for a maximum of 24 hours before the police must either charge you or release you. The clock starts when a senior officer authorises for you to be held in custody.

There will be a review of your custody at the 6 and 18 hour points. If, at any time, the police no longer suspect you have committed a crime, they should release you.

At the 12 hour point, the police will assess whether you should be kept in custody. They might decide to charge you with the crime, release you or could ask for authority to keep you in custody for up to another 12 hours. You can ask to see a solicitor at this time. 

Only a senior officer can give permission for you to be kept in custody. They have a duty not to hold you in custody unreasonably or unnecessarily. 

You or your lawyer should have the opportunity to speak or write to the senior officer before they make this decision. If they decide to keep you in custody you should be told why and reminded of your rights.

They should only keep you in custody for up to another 12 hours if:

• the investigation is being done well and quickly, and 
  • there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that you have committed an indictable offence (a serious crime like rape or murder), and
  • keeping you in custody is necessary and proportionate, for example, to stop you from destroying evidence or to allow them to investigate further.

If you're released but rearrested

The custody clock stops when you're released and starts again if you're rearrested for the same offence. You can only be held, without being charged, for the remainder of the 12 hour period.

If they charge him with an offence then it is up to the PF to conclude if there is a case that might realistically produce a guilty verdict.