Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

Wrt. early warning. I expect there has been some like today so Sturgeon wasn't at home. I'd be surprised if NS & PM were told 2/3 weeks ago as Murray alleges.

I do have one issue on the legal side and that is the Lord Advocate's role should be split but I've thought that since the Salmond debacle. I think its coming. One person cannot be head of the prosecution service and the government's chief legal advisor.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Wrt. early warning. I expect there has been some like today so Sturgeon wasn't at home. I'd be surprised if NS & PM were told 2/3 weeks ago as Murray alleges.

I do have one issue on the legal side and that is the Lord Advocate's role should be split but I've thought that since the Salmond debacle. I think its coming. One person cannot be head of the prosecution service and the government's chief legal advisor.

"We'll be round at 830am three weeks on Wednesday. If you could have all the evidence we need prepared, that would be handy too"

22 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It can be extended to 24 hours but only if a senior police officer agrees to this.

The police can release you while they continue investigating the crime.

You can be arrested more than once for the same offence, but your time in custody cannot last longer than 12 hours (or 24 hours as stated above). The police can't add 12 hours each time you are arrested for the same thing.

The only way you can be held longer is under the Prevention of Terrorism Act - up to 7 days - that clearly doesn't apply here.

You hope...

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

"The investigation may be conditional on who becomes First Minister" with the clear implication that the election of Yousaf as leader would prevent an investigation proceeding; an investigation by Police Scotland into Peter Murrell which has somehow been paused at the behest of Peter Murrell because Murrell and Sturgeon control Police Scotland. Yet within a week of Yousaf becoming leader, Murrell is arrested.

There are no holes in this theory whatsoever.

Murray is a complete mentalist. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Is it normal for the police to arrest someone then not charge them?  Surely they would have had sufficient grounds to arrest him.

Yes, someone can be released on an investigative liberation, which can also allow for certain conditions to be placed on that person. They can even release the person without charge and report circumstances to the PF, basically ‘heres what we have, we dont know 100% if theres enough to charge you can decide’ in an occurrence report, this is quite common in sexual crimes.

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It seems a strange way to go about things (not just talking about Murrell but more generally).  Do you need to arrest someone to question them under caution?  If so it makes more sense.

Its better practice because if you have them attend on a voluntary basis and they get up to leave half way you’d need to then have them arrested, processed and the rights of solicitor access all re-done, that could delay you by hours. 

38 minutes ago, Elric said:

If he has been arrested then he will either be charged or a report sent to the Crown Office.  If they were on a fishing trip looking for evidence then he would have been detained on suspicion of commiting a crime and could only be held for 12 hours (not sure if longer) and then either charged or released.

Not always the case.