"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The decision for you to sack Dodds was the right one. The decision to appoint Ferguson was clearly the wrong one. Simplifying it to Dodds v Ferguson is just silly. 

Spot on. This recurring Dodds vs Ferguson argument is only used by those who wish to look smart.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

@Scary Bear suggested you'd have been better not sacking Dodds. I took issue with @Central Belt Caley implication that you'd have been worse off if you hadn't done so. It's pretty clear you wouldn't have been at this stage. You might well have been relegated sooner but ultimately relegated you were anyway and you've won only one game this season (against us!). The £200k + spent on Ferguson has ultimately been chucked down the drain to absolutely no benefit at all. I don't think that's a remotely contestable conclusion whether it was right to sack Dodds or not.

He is quite clearly referring to performance and league position when he is saying “worse off”. Our finances were in a horrible state before Dodds joined, after he left, before Ferguson joined and still to this day. The money spent on Ferguson would have been flushed down Gardiner and Morrison’s magic toilet on something else.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

Just because they messed up the hire & replaced one clown with another doesn't mean that it was wrong to punt Dodds.

And the money involved in paying Dodds off is such a drop in the ocean of their overall financial situation that there's no point even discussing it. Dodds could've walked for free & they replaced him with someone on minimum wage & there'd still be the best part of £4m owed to creditors.

1 minute ago, forkboy said:

Just because they messed up the hire & replaced one clown with another doesn't mean that it was wrong to punt Dodds.

And the money involved in paying Dodds off is such a drop in the ocean of their overall financial situation that there's no point even discussing it. Dodds could've walked for free & they replaced him with someone on minimum wage & there'd still be the best part of £4m owed to creditors.

That same sum of money is the money you need to get yourself through October.

Nobody's suggested it was wrong to punt Dodds per se, just that you'd have been better of now if you hadn't. It's clear that's true.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

@Scary Bear suggested you'd have been better not sacking Dodds. I took issue with @Central Belt Caley implication that you'd have been worse off if you hadn't done so. It's pretty clear you wouldn't have been at this stage. You might well have been relegated sooner but ultimately relegated you were anyway and you've won only one game this season (against us!). The £200k + spent on Ferguson has ultimately been chucked down the drain to absolutely no benefit at all. I don't think that's a remotely contestable conclusion whether it was right to sack Dodds or not.

I said we’d have been battling with Arbroath for the automatic relegation spot (at best) if Dodds had stayed. Made 0 reference to finances in the post you took an objection to. We at least had a slim chance of making 8th towards the end of the season.

If we’d have kept Dodds we’d probably be staring down this financial situation regardless. 

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You'd be surprised I think, we're obviously bigger than every other club in the division combined and definitely on a lot of people's radars both north and south of Hadrian's Wall.

I've not checked my thesaurus lately but I'm pretty sure the word "hubris" would be offered here ...

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

That same sum of money is the money you need to get yourself through October.

Nobody's suggested it was wrong to punt Dodds per se, just that you'd have been better of now if you hadn't. It's clear that's true.

I'm on record as saying I think the crowdfunding thing is pointless & it makes no difference whether they go into admin today or in a month, the end result is the same because even Caley have dismissed the prospect of a new owner coming in while the club is still debt-laden is fantastical. So sure, technically true but also kind of irrelevant, it's putting a sticking plaster over the wound after you've just been guillotined.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I see the crowdfunder has gone through the 25k mark which seems impressive but having managed a number of crowdfunders and the progress graph tend to look like this 

Screenshot_20241004_130545_Chrome.jpg

If thats the case then they have no chance of getting enough Everton fans to pour money into a black hole, as i think that is part of the target market going by the comments on the Gofundme page

They are getting close to 30K but if it was linear it would need to be over 14k per day to hit the target and i guess most people know this is not going to happen.

11 minutes ago, forkboy said:

I'm on record as saying I think the crowdfunding thing is pointless & it makes no difference whether they go into admin today or in a month, the end result is the same because even Caley have dismissed the prospect of a new owner coming in while the club is still debt-laden is fantastical. So sure, technically true but also kind of irrelevant, it's putting a sticking plaster over the wound after you've just been guillotined.

For the club to survive as a going concern there will need to be enough money to cover wages and running costs through the administration, it's not the kind of business that can be mothballed.

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

I’ll never forget that SC QF defeat in 2023.

Now, knowing that ICT were effectively cheating by paying world class superstars with money they didn’t have, it hurts even more.

That's what's so shit/confusing about how deep we are in the shit. We've been hiring lower league jobbers of reducing quality throughout our time in the Championship. Definitely not players playing below their ability for excess wages and definitely not players of superior quality to those that Killie have. 

8 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’ll never forget that SC QF defeat in 2023.

Now, knowing that ICT were effectively cheating by paying world class superstars with money they didn’t have, it hurts even more.

You got Robbie Deas, that more than makes up for it 

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

If thats the case then they have no chance of getting enough Everton fans to pour money into a black hole, as i think that is part of the target market going by the comments on the Gofundme page

Wonder how they’ll feel when they realise that the Caley fans all f**king hate ‘Big Dunc’