"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

On 16/03/2024 at 19:25, Lanky Highlander said:

Must say you were pretty awful today. Looked like you could go a month without scoring, dodgy penalties aside. Ayr weren't exactly vintage but Caley were worse. There was an air of impending doom there today I thought, like watching a car crash in slow motion. Pretty dire week for you with the battery vote too. What are your thoughts for the rest of the season? (Ayr Utd are my childhood team by the way).

I think we're done for. Admittedly I haven't been able to get to any games this season bar Airdrie at the start of the year so I can only base my thoughts on YouTube highlights and comments on places like here but we just seem so insipid under Ferguson. Plenty of possession at times but it seems to completely break down in the final third and we don't have much of a creative spark anywhere in the team. We don't have too bad a defensive record despite some really poor play at the back at times but it's the other end of the pitch where we struggle. Ferguson genuinely seems happy when we draw but our recent form has been pathetic. No home wins since November and you can see why home fans were getting on the back of the team and manager recently (something Ferguson couldn't understand for some reason). 

Nothing that I see or read about the team or Ferguson at the minute suggests that they will avoid relegation. We're not good enough and I don't believe that he knows how to sort things out. He was backed in January and brought in 8 players. hard to see how some of these are better than the people they replaced. There may be reasons for letting Welsh, Carson etc go but it doesn't seem like people brought in the other month are anywhere near good enough.

It seems like another, possibly final, chapter of the ICT Banter Years is about to be written.

Over the years Ross County, Partick, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Ayr, clubs of mid size have spent time in the third tier some more than once after relegation. Stands to logic that we would find ourselves in that position sometime in the future.

I've never been to Kelty, I've not seen Cove's new ground. Spend a weekend in Dumfries/ the borders (Annan), Quite like Ochiview and the Rec (or whatever its called now), two maybe three Angus grounds if Forfar go up, Stirling, not been there for a while. Maybe Peterhead or Dumbarton can't complain there or go or watch Dick Campell's East Fife side against us which should be entertaining asides I haven't been to McPhails in Leven for years. Some good away options open just now, see how they narrow as the season comes to its concusion, see how our own season plays out first before admitting defeat as we go down 4-1 on agg in the playoffs semi against Montrose.

I would be just like us to beat Dundee Utd 1-0 away from home next weekend though to divert attention back to these sodding batteries. Why doesn't Gardiner just open a francise Rangers shop in the city center with a percentage donated to save The Caley, its a sure winner in a city like Inverness.

8 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Over the years Ross County, Partick, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Ayr, clubs of mid size have spent time in the third tier some more than once after relegation. Stands to logic that we would find ourselves in that position sometime in the future.

I've never been to Kelty, I've not seen Cove's new ground. Spend a weekend in Dumfries/ the borders (Annan), Quite like Ochiview and the Rec (or whatever its called now), two maybe three Angus grounds if Forfar go up, Stirling, not been there for a while. Maybe Peterhead or Dumbarton can't complain there or go or watch Dick Campell's East Fife side against us which should be entertaining asides I haven't been to McPhails in Leven for years. Some good away options open just now, see how they narrow as the season comes to its concusion, see how our own season plays out first before admitting defeat as we go down 4-1 on agg in the playoffs semi against Montrose.

I would be just like us to beat Dundee Utd 1-0 away from home next weekend though to divert attention back to these sodding batteries. Why doesn't Gardiner just open a francise Rangers shop in the city center with a percentage donated to save The Caley, its a sure winner in a city like Inverness.

Sorry to say it, but league 1 is footballing hell. You'll win games but teams come along on a near fortnightly basis and sit in trying to grind out results, often hitting on the counter leaving a dozen away fans celebrating like they've won the champions league. The novelty wears off very very quick. It's very easy to fall down and then struggle to figure out a way out. 

Getting relegated would be very bad for us.  On the pitch, you'd have to assume Ferguson would leave if we went down and we'd need to completely rebuild with a new manager in a much weakened position financially.  As noted above a struggle would be highly likely.  Off the pitch, it would mean further losses, the people covering the losses have clearly reached the end of their tether with it and are more likely to say no more.  It would most likely lead to the end of the club as we have it at the moment to be honest.

The only way it could possibly be a positive is if it lead to a change in the board, or in the ownership of the club and I don't think that will happen.

The folk saying that maybe relegation would be a good thing are probably the same people who thought it would be good back in 2017. Relegation would be a disaster and should be avoided at all costs.

It's definitely a bonkers league and tight as a duck's ar@e, so with the wind blowing in your direction you might be ok. Hope so, as the Seaside League is no craic. Not sure about the underlying financial issues at ICT though, that sounds uncertain. But again, hope you'll get through that too.

Folk just need to look at falkirk, they’ve been jobbing it around down there for 5 or 6 seasons and are most likely only coming back up now

Its all well and good thinking we’d do a Dunfermline and steamroll the league and come straight back up but we’re more likely to be worse than Falkirk with the state we’re in just now

Aye, League 1 doesn't tend to be much fun. Of the full time clubs in the championship, Ayr have spent more time there than anyone else in the last couple decades (albeit we were actually part time in L1) through a mix of being on the brink of bankruptcy to awful managerial appointments  - the worst years of which we found ourselves in a dogfight at the bottom trying to avoid League 2. See QoS for a current example.

A lot of full time clubs that go down manage to sort it out in a season or two, by making good decisions at the top level and ensuring that the relative strength in budget is utilised as much as possible - see Ayr's most recent 1 season stint or Dunfermline last season. If that's done right, it can be quite fun.

The problem comes when you have folk at the top end of the club that are pretty clueless and make poor decisions from the off. That poor decision making is essentially a catalyst for the team to not hit the ground running, and for the perceived budgetary / resource advantage to quickly fade away as you come up each week against technically limited but well drilled part time teams. Just look at Falkirk as an example. 

Theres a lot of football to be played and ICT could well get themselves out of danger at the expense of QP, Ayr, Pars etc. Also 9th could well win the play off (I think they will). But aye, the novelty of new grounds and a 'fresh start' quickly fades when it feels like the club is sinking due to poor planning and decisions. Based on your current board, if ICT were to go down i'd maybe be a bit concerned.

Edited by AUcal

The Second Division was great. Barrowman, Petrie, Shields, Higgins, and Gardyne as the forward options. Mark McCulloch being Mark McCulloch. Paul Lawson, Scott Boyd, and Gary Miller all making their first County appearances. Derek Adams starting his management career. Allan Creer too!

I really hope The Caley get to experience the highs County did.

44 minutes ago, yoda said:

The Second Division was great. Barrowman, Petrie, Shields, Higgins, and Gardyne as the forward options. Mark McCulloch being Mark McCulloch. Paul Lawson, Scott Boyd, and Gary Miller all making their first County appearances. Derek Adams starting his management career. Allan Creer too!

I really hope The Caley get to experience the highs County did.

It's a feasible scenario from here that Gardyne could score the goal to relegate them in the playoffs. That'd be quite the turn of events.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's a feasible scenario from here that Gardyne could score the goal to relegate them in the playoffs. That'd be quite the turn of events.

This had already crossed my mind. One missing piece is that Carson is no longer with us.

2 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

You can get there by train when the new branch line opens in June.

18 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Folk just need to look at falkirk, they’ve been jobbing it around down there for 5 or 6 seasons and are most likely only coming back up now

Its all well and good thinking we’d do a Dunfermline and steamroll the league and come straight back up but we’re more likely to be worse than Falkirk with the state we’re in just now

The parallels of us and the Falkirk team that went down in 2019 are startling.  I used to watch their highlights that season and they played exactly the same way we do now.  Very lateral/sideways and backwards.  No dynamism, no short and sharp 1-2s, no balls round the corner, no one taking their man on - committing and isolating them, a tempo played at -14 mph and absolutely zero place in the squad.

Every other team in the league, bar probably Arbroath, plays with all of the above.  it's telling that the two teams that don't play that way are going to finish in the bottom two.  Ferguson needs to go.  He's useless.

Actually we did play like that for the 10 or so games Wotherspoon played for us and the results mirrored that.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Actually we did play like that for the 10 or so games Wotherspoon played for us and the results mirrored that.

Correct.

I said it at the time that I was worried for us when Wotherspoon left and wasn't in anyway replaced, and so it has proved.

The football has been diabolical since then.

As much as he hasn't been as good as last season, Shaw at least tries to be direct and positive and I believe has been missed the last couple of games.

We're doomed....

54 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Had a quick look at the games under Ferguson with/without Wotherspoon.

We played 10 games with Wotherspoon and 13 without. We averaged 1.3 PPG with Wotherspoon versus 1.1 without. 
We scored an average of 1.4 goals per game with versus 1.1 without.
We conceded an average of 1.1 goals per game with versus 1.3 without.

So it certainly seems like his absence is costing us. Of course some of the recent downturn could be the absolute dung brought in by Ferguson in the January window :rolleyes: