"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

On 18/03/2024 at 13:15, yoda said:

The Second Division was great. Barrowman, Petrie, Shields, Higgins, and Gardyne as the forward options. Mark McCulloch being Mark McCulloch. Paul Lawson, Scott Boyd, and Gary Miller all making their first County appearances. Derek Adams starting his management career. Allan Creer too!

I really hope The Caley get to experience the highs County did.

The only keeper I know to lose a thumb in a work related accident and for it to actually benefit his abilities in between the sticks.

Serious question, if the worst happens and Caley go down, can they remain full-time or is it part-time football to reduce the wage bill as much as possible? 

I know Falkirk managed to keep it going but they were getting about a 1,000 (on average) more through the gates in League 1 than Caley are getting at the moment

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

The Caley would almost certainly go part time you'd imagine. Certainly based on some of the chat at the recent fans meetings anyway. They could save some money right now by closing the North Stand. I certainly preferred watching games there compared to the Main Stand but given our crowds at the moment what is the point in keeping it open?

Perhaps ICT should consider a plastic pitch as a way to save money in the long run? Less maintenance, can train on it, let it out etc. I know the top flight is about to ban them, but that's not likely to be a concern for ICT any time soon.

I’m not the slightest bit concerned about relegation via the play offs - there’s no chance those jokers take us down imo. However, I am extremely concerned about the prospect of having to watch this team an additional 4 times, that’s something I simply cannot cope with.

To echo what the Ayr fan said, you dont want to end up in league one, it took us ten years to get out of it, when you look at QOTS they look likely to be down for a while not forgetting Clyde who are hovering over the ultimate trap door... I think Inverness will win a playoff as the league one teams dont like that strong this year but its a lottery by then. 

13 hours ago, Forfinn said:

Perhaps ICT should consider a plastic pitch as a way to save money in the long run? Less maintenance, can train on it, let it out etc. I know the top flight is about to ban them, but that's not likely to be a concern for ICT any time soon.

I don't think ''long run'' enters anyone's thoughts just now, especially when it would add to costs in the present. If I recall it was considered a few years back and then left. I don't see any reason to change to artificial and make it an issue in the future, plus the players train at Ft. George and have done since we moved from Telford Street.

15 hours ago, Buzz Killington said:

Lodovica and Big Dunc Jnr up front is the stuff of nightmares for League 1 defences next season.

Lodovica is out of contract end of season, I doubt he will be here next season regardless of which league we end up in.

We have only 5 or 6 players under contract for next season, Billy McKay and those signed at the start of last season on a two year, everyone else is up for renewal or away, plus lots of loanees who will go back to their clubs. Regardless of which league we end up in, its going to be a big clear out in the summer. Huge job for the management team. I think even those who still have a year left on their contract might not get that far.

30 minutes ago, CityDave94 said:

Lodovica is out of contract end of season, I doubt he will be here next season regardless of which league we end up in.

We have only 5 or 6 players under contract for next season, Billy McKay and those signed at the start of last season on a two year, everyone else is up for renewal or away, plus lots of loanees who will go back to their clubs. Regardless of which league we end up in, its going to be a big clear out in the summer. Huge job for the management team. I think even those who still have a year left on their contract might not get that far.

I’d guess that some (if not all) of these players will have relegation release clauses as well where they’ll be given the option to walk away for free should you get relegated.

I just can’t see Caley going down, though. The quality of the playoff teams in L1 looks as low as I can remember, and it’s not as if you lot are some terrible team at this level either. At worst ICT are marginally weaker than about 5 or 6 other sides in the division - but should still have more than enough to stay up should it come down to playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’d guess that some (if not all) of these players will have relegation release clauses as well where they’ll be given the option to walk away for free should you get relegated.

I just can’t see Caley going down, though. The quality of the playoff teams in L1 looks as low as I can remember, and it’s not as if you lot are some terrible team at this level either. At worst ICT are marginally weaker than about 5 or 6 other sides in the division - but should still have more than enough to stay up should it come down to playoffs.

I don't believe that means anything in playoffs. Brechin City is a good example of one of the worst teams ever to get to the playoffs and then succeed in a two leg final against a bigger team with so called better players. Its about who turns up on the day . Poor teams get found out during a season, but easily can wing it over four games with the right tactics and motivation. If we end up in the playoffs I'd take no one for granted, especially our old nemesis bogey team Hamilton Accies.

Another way of looking at it and not taking anything for granted is you just have to look at the cup games, example the Scottish Cup this season and the surprise results.

Funny thing is a fourth place finish isn't that far in front of us, considering our annual habit of going on good runs towards the end of the season. :unsure2:

Imagine the banter if this actually happened, .......................imagine the cranial detonations???

Just to add, I was speaking to my wife about the battery farm - she has no interest in football or Highland council planning process.  I told her that if the battery farm was built it would be good for Caley and she said "not so good for the poor hens though!" :lol: 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

If we get into the promotion play offs I will personally attend our play off matches dressed as a battery from the battery farm.

I take it from your tone that you are more negative than positive?

On 20/03/2024 at 11:15, ICTChris said:

If we get into the promotion play offs I will personally attend our play off matches dressed as a battery from the battery farm.

Not really much of a risk on your part though is it? I would think something more like turning up in the scud, with a bit of whipped cream between your bollocks, so you could say you were dressed as a meringue.

2 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

IMG_1476.jpeg.2f150c0deab91a3b4364f5d3d87cce35.jpegLetting Sean Welsh go is a decision which is aging like milk.

Yeap. Letting both/either of Carson and Welsh go is looking more horrendous with every passing game. Mainly because we only have one fit central midfielder.

I didn’t really have an issue with them leaving as long as we replaced them but we didn’t even do that. The recruitment seems to have been all over the place, just bringing guys in no matter where they played rather than focusing on what we actually needed.

I have been critical of Pepple but he was good today. Held the ball up well and ran into the channels and caused problems. Not as effective in the second half as he was knackered. Would actually like to see him and Billy start together.

8 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

IMG_1476.jpeg.2f150c0deab91a3b4364f5d3d87cce35.jpegLetting Sean Welsh go is a decision which is aging like milk.

Astounding Inverness let him go mid season. I get his horrid injury record and probably being one of the higher earners but to give him away for nothing to a relegation rival is crazy. It seemed odd at the time he signed and looks even worse now. He’s totally reinvigorated the midfield and he’s played almost every minute (missed one game via red card)