Work colleagues

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Out for a walk yesterday evening, passing a bar, see and speak with two colleagues sitting outside with prosecco. Time was approx 7.30pm and they were both still in work clothes (left work at 4.15p.m.). Nothing wrong with that. However, one has to raise an eyebrow when one lass pitches up at work this morning and runs to spew. 

Do you have that effect on all women?

My work has been having some cash flow issues recently, mostly as a result of some poorly calculated decisions and 'deals' made at the top level. Been a bit concerning, especially for those of us slightly further down the chain. Thankfully, everyone just about got paid, but it was late. 

There was a zoom meeting the other day, and some middle management corporate circle w**k dafty - basically speaking on behalf of those that fucked up - told us to the effect of "compensation is only part of the employee experience"

Nearly prepared my notice on the spot.

Edited by AuAl

7 minutes ago, AuAl said:

My work has been having some cash flow issues recently, mostly as a result of some poorly calculated decisions and 'deals' made at the top level. Been a bit concerning, especially for those of us slightly further down the chain. Thankfully, everyone just about got paid, but it was late. 

There was a zoom meeting the other day, and some middle management corporate circle w**k dafty - basically speaking on behalf of those that fucked up - told us to the effect of "compensation is only part of the employee experience"

You should torch the building.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2022 at 16:10, Miguel Sanchez said:

Me, when I walk into work this morning and see the warehouse has been completely moved around by the new boss despite everyone telling him it's a bad idea:

GIF: Liverpool Turn The Sprinklers On Their Own Fans. | Balls.ie

On 03/07/2023 at 18:42, Miguel Sanchez said:

My manager is an idiot, a coward and I remain convinced he's a plant from a competitor trying to get us shut down.

This time next week he'll be Annan's problem, not mine.

Mourinho Mourinho Run GIF - Mourinho Mourinho Run - Discover & Share GIFs

On 12/10/2023 at 13:36, AuAl said:

it-makes-me-sad-that-amazon-dropped-the-wage-cage-think-of-v0-k1s64cta436b1.thumb.png.a099290887f9b44dcb4d184edbf2fc4f.png

Suspect this is aforementioned middle management w**k's view of what the employee experience should look like.

9 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Anyone had experience with smaller places of work with members of family and friends who join? 

Bit of a shock to me coming from a bigger place with a more level playing field. 

Aye, it’s usually pish. The proprietor (usually a guid c**t) brings his wife/grown up weans in, they’re (usually) fairly entitled lazy c***s. The weans you need to put straight early doors - they know they’ve not to rock the boat; the wife, I’m afraid, you just have to endure. 

36 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Anyone had experience with smaller places of work with members of family and friends who join? 

Bit of a shock to me coming from a bigger place with a more level playing field. 

A previous job had the owners son and daughter involved in prominent positions, which was... interesting.

They got away with murder but the flip side was that, if you felt like it, you could get away with some of the same pish they did (long lunch breaks, coming in late etc.) and no-one could really pull you up for it. Was kinda nice if, say, i ran 15 minutes late due to traffic not having to worry about it, since the owners daughter would rock up at random times e.g. expected in at, say, 10am, she might be in at anywhere from 10.10am - 11.30am with no explanation given.

They were competent, they just blatantly couldnt be arsed and far preferred roping other people into doing their work for them wherever possible so they could happily skive away.

Had a long email conversation with a few people, and one colleague just kept on asking questions. Really basic ones. It was getting ridiculous, and one guy who was in the trail emailed me to say I was being sealioned

There's a lot of that going on in the politics thread here, too!

Joined a meeting today, to receive a Teams message "I'll join in 10mins". Annoying as it can be when that happens, these things do happen. 

But this was from the meeting organiser. The same meeting organiser who sent an invite this morning with a subject line and absolutely no context behind what she wanted to discuss. Great - just waste everyone's time until you can join, then. I left and told her I would rejoin when she's ready. Of course, it wasn't just the 10mins late in the end. 

I admit that I get pissed off with people joining meetings late. That's probably sometimes unreasonable as there are reasons why this happens, but you often end up with: 

1) time being wasted recapping what's been covered so far (usually for someone very senior), who may then take up more time asking questions; and/or

2) the meeting runs over due to the interruption/recap or because it didn't start on time. This may or may not result in other meetings being late. 

Therefore, one person's tardiness becomes everyone's problem. As I said, sometimes things happen, but is it too much to expect the bloody organiser to turn up on time? 

Edited by Michael W

On 12/10/2023 at 13:36, AuAl said:

You're not getting a raise this year, and don;t even think about a bonus (if applicable)

The wife has been having a bit of bother. For 4 years she was in a team she loved. Then, one person left and another passed away, and they brought in new people. The wife stopped enjoying the team quite as much. She went for, and got, a promotion so now works in the same department as her old team but in a different role. 

For some reason her old boss - who was really good to my wife when she was in her team - has been awful to her since she left. Another ex-member of the team says that this is just how she is with folk who leave her team, but for my wife she can't get her head around how a woman she considered a good friend and manager could suddenly act this way. 

On 07/11/2023 at 14:22, Michael W said:

Joined a meeting today, to receive a Teams message "I'll join in 10mins". Annoying as it can be when that happens, these things do happen. 

But this was from the meeting organiser. The same meeting organiser who sent an invite this morning with a subject line and absolutely no context behind what she wanted to discuss. Great - just waste everyone's time until you can join, then. I left and told her I would rejoin when she's ready. Of course, it wasn't just the 10mins late in the end. 

I admit that I get pissed off with people joining meetings late. That's probably sometimes unreasonable as there are reasons why this happens, but you often end up with: 

1) time being wasted recapping what's been covered so far (usually for someone very senior), who may then take up more time asking questions; and/or

2) the meeting runs over due to the interruption/recap or because it didn't start on time. This may or may not result in other meetings being late. 

Therefore, one person's tardiness becomes everyone's problem. As I said, sometimes things happen, but is it too much to expect the bloody organiser to turn up on time? 

Sitting reading this 74 mins into a meeting where absolutely nothing useful or interesting has been said🤬

40 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The wife has been having a bit of bother. For 4 years she was in a team she loved. Then, one person left and another passed away, and they brought in new people. The wife stopped enjoying the team quite as much. She went for, and got, a promotion so now works in the same department as her old team but in a different role. 

For some reason her old boss - who was really good to my wife when she was in her team - has been awful to her since she left. Another ex-member of the team says that this is just how she is with folk who leave her team, but for my wife she can't get her head around how a woman she considered a good friend and manager could suddenly act this way. 

Your wife used to be a useful subordinate but now she’s threatening competition. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Your wife wasn't a friend; she was a tool.

There are an alarming number of people out there, at all levels of society, who evaluate others based on what they can do for them and resent when that usefulness ends. For example, it's a real shocker to see how many people disappear from your life if you ever experience some kind of debilitating illness and aren't able to drive them around/watch their kids/help them move house, etc.

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

From a lifetime of experience working in office environments, I've emboldened the relevant data.

14 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The easiest way to put this to your wife for her to understand…

When she left that team and took a promotion to a new job it was akin to her now dating an ex-boyfriend of her old boss. She’ll get the idea sharpish.